Spain v Chile

AshfieldRam

That said I wouldn't rule Spain out of future competitions as they've got a new geneeration of excellent players coming through.

Players like Koke, Isco, Jese Rodriguez are fantastic, and players such as Cristian Tello, Adama Traore and Munir El Haddadi are the future of Barcelona's new system under Luis enrique and all have pace to burn.

And please don't judge Spain's wonderful six year run on this tournament, as that's unfair. 

End of this generation with the likes of Casillas, Puyol, Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta probably, David Villa etc..

exciting times for Spain's new generation.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So glad Spain are out. You say "tiki taka", I say bloody boring to watch.

They were this tournament, as they had no pace and no runners...

But anyone who says that were boring in their prime doesn't know football. Between 2008 - 11 they were stunning. 2012 was probably the last squeezing of the juice in terms of their style and stature.

Also, for those who are tipping Germany to win it, they strike me as just a better England. They get further, but the end result is usually heartbreak all the same. Don't think this is their year. It'll be a South American team I reckon. Probably Brazil or Argentina.

They were this tournament, as they had no pace and no runners...

But anyone who says that were boring in their prime doesn't know football. Between 2008 - 11 they were stunning. 2012 was probably the last squeezing of the juice in terms of their style and stature.

2008 was basically football ography. 2010 WC was still okay to watch. Then it got boring by Euro 2012. I was really sick of it by the start of that tournament.

Pace is the new thing, (not really new, always has been hard to handle ), was just replaced for a while with tippy tappy boring football IMO, (although It got results ).

Exactly, the tippy tappy crap really got on my wick. I prefer the DCFC style of passing game. Fluid, pacey and exciting  :cool:

2008 was basically football ography. 2010 WC was still okay to watch. Then it got boring by Euro 2012. I was really sick of it by the start of that tournament.

The injury to David Villa and Torres' massive drop in form really didn't help them.

I don't agree with playing a 4-6-0 false number 9 formation unless you have ball carriers and runners. Germany practically played 4-6-0 the other day but in Ozil, Muller, Podolski, Gotze they could get away with it.

Spain in 2012 were OK but you could see against Italy and Croatia they struggled. They still won it scoring the most goals and creating the most chances, but I can see why people would be bored of it because they were so good defensively.

Also, for those who are tipping Germany to win it, they strike me as just a better England. They get further, but the end result is usually heartbreak all the same. Don't think this is their year. It'll be a South American team I reckon. Probably Brazil or Argentina.

They've won three world cups and three European championships. That's a bit better than just being a better England IMO....

Exactly, the tippy tappy crap really got on my wick. I prefer the DCFC style of passing game. Fluid, pacey and exciting  :cool:

Yeh we saw how Brighton had very little pace and just passed the ball around without urgency.

Spain didn't just play tippy tappy boring stuff, for a good four years they did it with pace, movement and created space. They just didn't have the players to do it at this World Cup

They've won three world cups and three European championships. That's a bit better than just being a better England IMO....

Aye, that's true I suppose. It was my perception based on gut feeling, not based in fact.

Germany practically played 4-6-0 the other day but in Ozil, Muller, Podolski, Gotze they could get away with it.

Best comment I heard in the commentary for the Germany vs Portugal game was that "Muller's as close to a centre forward that Germany have"....yeah, these midfielders who keep scoring hat tricks! :D

Aye, that's true I suppose. It was my perception based on gut feeling, not based in fact.

Difference between England and Germany, traditionally, is that whilst we might have good individual players they've rarely played to their potential as a team. Germany otoh, have great players, who play even better as a team.

That said I wouldn't rule Spain out of future competitions as they've got a new geneeration of excellent players coming through.

Players like Koke, Isco, Jese Rodriguez are fantastic, and players such as Cristian Tello, Adama Traore and Munir El Haddadi are the future of Barcelona's new system under Luis enrique and all have pace to burn.

And please don't judge Spain's wonderful six year run on this tournament, as that's unfair. 

End of this generation with the likes of Casillas, Puyol, Xabi Alonso, Xavi, Iniesta probably, David Villa etc..

exciting times for Spain's new generation.

Its not often I agree with you, but on this point I will.

Its not the end of the world for spain, just an era for some of the players.  They arent that short of a great team again, and even though they lost both matches, had Nasri scored to make it 2-0 they would still be one of the favs.

I also dont think people got bored of the brand of football they played, just the fact they were winning everything, what these set of player achieved was nothing short of remarkable and they will go down in history as one of the best teams ever.

Archived