Derbyshire CCC in 2014

Ovis aries

Oh, I'm sure that they'll find a way of docking Derbyshire an extra couple of points so that Leicestershire can get through instead. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, I'm sure that they'll find a way of docking Derbyshire an extra couple of points so that Leicestershire can get through instead. 

I find it inexplicable how you can be docked points for a different competition (20/20, wasn't it?), in a different year. If you're alleged to have prepared a dodgy pitch in the County Championship, you're docked the points there and then.

Too much port wine at HQ I think.

I find it inexplicable how you can be docked points for a different competition (20/20, wasn't it?), in a different year. If you're alleged to have prepared a dodgy pitch in the County Championship, you're docked the points there and then. Too much port wine at HQ I think.

YB40, so it was the equivalent competition. Points should have docked last season, but that's not really a punishment considering Derbyshire were never going to qualify. I love criticising officials but this decision does have a degree of sense behind it.

We  once got docked points against Surrey when we batted first and got a lot , and then whipped them out , twice for very little , and won by a innings , at that time Surrey were the bee's knee's, and it was inconceivable that little Derbyshire could do that, barstwards.

YB40, so it was the equivalent competition. Points should have docked last season, but that's not really a punishment considering Derbyshire were never going to qualify. I love criticising officials but this decision does have a degree of sense behind it.

Mmmm why was it only us .

We  once got docked points against Surrey when we batted first and got a lot , and then whipped them out , twice for very little , and won by a innings , at that time Surrey were the bee's knee's, and it was inconceivable that little Derbyshire could do that, barstwards.

I seem to recall that the umpires found nothing amiss and it was repeated complaints from Surrey that swung the issue. I'll look it up in Wisden. Any idea (approx) of the year? It wasn't all that long ago.

I seem to recall that the umpires found nothing amiss and it was repeated complaints from Surrey that swung the issue. I'll look it up in Wisden. Any idea (approx) of the year? It wasn't all that long ago.

I think it was quite a while ago, seem to remember Syd Buller was one of the umpires, but not sure .

I think it was quite a while ago, seem to remember Syd Buller was one of the umpires, but not sure .

From Wisden 2001, Derbyshire v Surrey, match played June 7,8,9, 2000

"Derbyshire were outraged by the deduction of 8 points for what pitch liaison officers Denness, Chris Wood and David Hughes condemned as a poor pitch. The county contended that the groundsman Barry Marsh and his staff did well to have the surface dry at the start, given recent storms and the requisition of their water-hog by Trent Bridge for the Zimbabwe test.

It was returned, damaged, the day before the game, Derbyshire claimed, and so the pitch was not dry to the required depth. Umpires Dudlestone and Holder supported Derbyshire at the appeal, which nevertheless upheld the penalty. etc etc.

On the third morning, after Di Venuto and Bailey had hurried Derbyshire to their first Championship victory of the season, some of the Surrey players becme involved in shouted exchanges with members angered by the pitch penalty."

I've a feeling there was another, earlier, one too. Can't find it yet. Give me time.

** Just discovered Sid Buller died 1970, so that gives me a clue.

Don't really get that.

He's only going to play 3 games and it's not as if they are in the promotion hunt. Waste of wages.

S'pose if they get past Notts he can play in the semi and final.

Supposedly one reason why they have signed him is to attract more Indians to the County Ground.

The only Derbyshire controversy involving Buller was the no-balling of Harold Rhodes for throwing. That was nearly 50 years ago.

I do not have Wisden to check, but surely this must be the highest score by a team asked to follow on ?.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/268130.html

I've asked an old mate to see if he can help on that one.

He used to do some work for CricketArchive (the largest scores database in the world), and if he still has access to their database, I can get him to write a quick query. I suspect it's going to be up there, but may not be the highest.

I do not have Wisden to check, but surely this must be the highest score by a team asked to follow on ?.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/268130.html

I think there was a bit of ill feeling between Katich and Langer. 801 before you declare is far to high, even at Taunton. Not bad, mind, considering they were 0-2. I remember it quite well. I'd just come out of hospital with my leg in plaster, and listened to the comentary via my laptop.

Another astonishing match involved Hampshire  in 1922. Facing a first innnings total of 223, they were bowled out for 15 (6,4,1, 8 ducks and 4 extras) and followed on 208 behind.

They then scored 521 and won by 155, Warwickshire being the hapless losers.

And yes, a magnificent victory today against the league leaders. I think the Poynton road accident, and a couple of players dropping out with stress affected our early season form to a considerable extent.

Durston 5-19. The cidre will flow tonight I expect.

I think there was a bit of ill feeling between Katich and Langer. 801 before you declare is far to high, even at Taunton. Not bad, mind, considering they were 0-2. I remember it quite well. I'd just come out of hospital with my leg in plaster, and listened to the comentary via my laptop.

Another astonishing match involved Hampshire  in 1922. Facing a first innnings total of 223, they were bowled out for 15 (6,4,1, 8 ducks and 4 extras) and followed on 208 behind.

They then scored 521 and won by 155, Warwickshire being the hapless losers.

And yes, a magnificent victory today against the league leaders. I think the Poynton road accident, and a couple of players dropping out with stress affected our early season form to a considerable extent.

Durston 5-19. The cidre will flow tonight I expect.

We could not get a start early on, no steady opening pair, think we still need a good one first up.

The lad from Leicester is good, and if we get a permanent overseas player ( full season) we will be hard to beat next season.

Looks like we have a decent crop of young bowlers , who can only get better.

Footitt  would be for England if he did not give so many daft runs away. 

I agree, we really miss the Di Venuto/Rogers/Guptill type opener.

Billy's an enigma. Saw him on Sunday, I was wondering if he would make double figures by lunchtime, when he suddenly took of like a startled rabbit. I really hope the lad does well, he showed a lot of promise in his teens apparently

Archived