George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

Could go either way with Sherwood. He is pro youth. Would be daft to let him go. All us rams know that because we have seen his quality! All depends on Sherwood, he might have a word with Thorne, try and change his feelings

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think the other Baggies answered me... But:

a) Do you really think Thorne stands a chance of a first team starting berth this season?

b) If not, can you really begrudge a guy who's nearly 22 wanting first team football?

a) Yes, but he will have to prove himself in training with his attitude and ability. Look at Berahino and O'Neil both breaking into the first tanm last season and Thorne has been there before.

b) No, if he isn't close to breaking in to the first team we may send him out until january on loan and see how he has progressed.

He has 3 years remaining on his contract and financially we do not need to sell him and his price will increase if he continues to perform and we could then bring him into the first team then.  Do you begrudge us that?

I don't begrudge you that but it seems from what he's said that he's no longer happy waiting and at Derby he doesn't need to prove himself, he already slotted in a treat. So faced with the options where do you think his loyalties will lie?

He has 3 years remaining on his contract and financially we do not need to sell him and his price will increase if he continues to perform and we could then bring him into the first team then.  Do you begrudge us that?

No... But I think any player would...

We sold John Brayford at the start of last season when we didn't need the money... But he had an offer to join a premier League team so we didn't stand in his way...

If you couldn't guarantee a player first team football, and someone offered a fair price (let's say £3m) would you really find it fair to tell the guy he HAD to stay?

Players are people too... they all have different wants... I think too often we see them as commodities...

No... But I think any player would...

We sold John Brayford at the start of last season when we didn't need the money... But he had an offer to join a premier League team so we didn't stand in his way...

If you couldn't guarantee a player first team football, and someone offered a fair price (let's say £3m) would you really find it fair to tell the guy he HAD to stay?

Players are people too... they all have different wants... I think too often we see them as commodities...

I'm sure he was happy back in December when he signed an improved contract and if he wasn't/isn't now, then he only has his agent and himself to blame

We sold Chris Wood as he wanted first team football and we didn't think he would make it at Albion. However, we clearly believe Thorne has a career at Albion.

I'm sure he was happy back in December when he signed an improved contract and if he wasn't/isn't now, then he only has his agent and himself to blame

We sold Chris Wood as he wanted first team football and we didn't think he would make it at Albion. However, we clearly believe Thorne has a career at Albion.

Maybe he was... But he's had a taste of first team football now...

So you're saying that even if you can't give a player first team football you'd force them to stay against their will?

Depends on what was promised when he signed.

At the end of the day it should be always the players choice and the clubs should respect that.  Maybe he feels he would benefit more at Derby than at WBA?

The only way to stop all this is to ban transfer fees, pay every player in respective leagues the same money, and if a player signs a contract and wants out of it, it should be by mutual agreement,or there should be a fixed amount buy out clause, or severance payment, never ever happen, but I can dream.

Maybe he was... But he's had a taste of first team football now...

So you're saying that even if you can't give a player first team football you'd force them to stay against their will?

No, I'm saying if a player isn't good enough to break into a first team then he should be sold, IF, a club believes he does not has the potential to improve and become a regular in the first team.

Would you sell a player who shows promise?

Can't remenber if their official statements actually called it an improved contract or whether that's flannel made up by posters here.

Did he have one more year left before the extension or was he going to be out of contract ? I guess you could claim longer means improved, but it might not really be the case given the number of clauses in contacts nowadays.

The whole duress bit seems to stem from WBA apparently saying he wasn't allowed out on loan again without signing it.

Look at it (worst case scenario-style) from his side - if he didn't extend his contract he'd have been stuck struggling to regain fitness in reserve matches ( practically useless) and quite possibly have spent all of season (and next season if the contract covered it) not getting the football he needs, and coming nowhere near anyone's first team before eventually being released without playing for 2 years - clubs would be wary of signing him and he'd probably have to find a club in League One or worse.

Can't remenber if their official statements actually called it an improved contract or whether that's flannel made up by posters here.

Did he have one more year left before the extension or was he going to be out of contract ? I guess you could claim longer means improved, but it might not really be the case given the number of clauses in contacts nowadays.

The whole duress bit seems to stem from WBA apparently saying he wasn't allowed out on loan again without signing it.

Look at it (worst case scenario-style) from his side - if he didn't extend his contract he'd have been stuck struggling to regain fitness in reserve matches ( practically useless) and quite possibly have spent all of season (and next season if the contract covered it) not getting the football he needs, and coming nowhere near anyone's first team before eventually being released without playing for 2 years - clubs would be wary of signing him and he'd probably have to find a club in League One or worse.

Yep, new and improved

Have a read of the article below from our OS which clearly shows that we wanted him to gain first team experience and then come back and force his way back into our first team

http://www.wba.co.uk/news/article/thorne-signs-new-albion-deal-1327536.aspx

Is anyone else going off the whole signing Thorne thing abit? Time to move on and look at different signing?

Not really, the club asked for patience regarding transfer dealings at the start of the summer and we haven't put in a serious bid yet in my eyes (£1m was surely testing the water as that was never likely to be accepted in reality). Depends how strongly Thorne feels about things really I would imagine as theyre not going to want to keep someone who doesn't really want to be there whatever they say at the moment.

Doesn't mean he'd go on the cheap though, I wouldn't have thought less than £2m was a viable starting point.

I'd imagine it was mainly his own desires being aired that encouraged Derby into putting in a bid as at the end of the season I thought he'd be the least likely of the three loans we had to be moving from their parent clubs.

If it does get drawn out, we could go for a loan of a similar type or perhaps we have another player in that mould lined up, don't forget we were already doing very nicely when Thorne came along, but he just seemed to complement our style so well with the players we had around him and take it that notch further.

No, I'm saying if a player isn't good enough to break into a first team then he should be sold, IF, a club believes he does not has the potential to improve and become a regular in the first team.

Would you sell a player who shows promise?

If the player wasn't getting first team football and wanted to leave? Yes... of course... 

We sold John Brayford at the start of the season cos we didn't think it was fair to stand in the way of him joining a PL team... didn't need the money but wouldn't have been fair on the player to force him to stay...

We're not talking about some 18 yr old who's never played first team... It's a guy who can get a good quality of first team football, which you may not be able to offer him this season... 

If the player wasn't getting first team football and wanted to leave? Yes... of course... 

We sold John Brayford at the start of the season cos we didn't think it was fair to stand in the way of him joining a PL team... didn't need the money but wouldn't have been fair on the player to force him to stay...

We're not talking about some 18 yr old who's never played first team... It's a guy who can get a good quality of first team football, which you may not be able to offer him this season... 

Selling to a bigger club is one thing, selling so he can drop down a league to play just doesn't make sense I'm afraid. If he can't force his way into the side next season, then he can go on loan to improve his game / fitness so he can come back and push his way into the team, or if we feel he wont achieve this in the future, then we would sell him.  That is exactly why he went to you on loan. 

It's something we do with a lot of our players who are unlikely to get on the pitch. Dawson, Berahino to name just two and we are not the only club to loan out are fringe players, most clubs do it and no doubt you do too.

Selling to a bigger club is one thing, selling so he can drop down a league to play just doesn't make sense I'm afraid. If he can't force his way into the side, then he can go on loan to improve his game / fitnessso he can come back and push his way into the team. That is why he went to you on loan. 

It's something we do with a lot of our players who are unlikely to get on the pitch. Dawson, Berahino to name just two and we are not the only club to loan out are fringe players, most clubs do it and no doubt you do too.

No offense or anything mate... But whilst we haven't been in the old Prem in a while... we are at least as big a club as you are...

We have more fans, a bigger and better ground, we've won the league more times than you... plus we finished a mere 6 positions behind you last season...

First team football is a big factor chief... selling may not make sense to YOU but it may make sense to Mr Thorne... I make the point again... these are PEOPLE not commodities...

Is anyone else going off the whole signing Thorne thing abit? Time to move on and look at different signing?

Erm, no? We've made one crap bid and you're ready to give up and move on?

Can't believe the amount of people giving in already, you'd all be awful negotiators.

Archived