George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

Not breaking a law, but it's a poor business strategy. He's throwing away a couple of million just to spite someone. I highly doubt that'll happen though, this is just the negotiation process. £3million and everybody wins

Mo way are we going to pay £3m upfront. I'd imagine something like £1.5-£2m upfront and £1-£1.5m if/when we get promoted. 

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Thorne was successful at DCFC

2. DCFC wish to sign Thorne on a permanent basis from WBAFC

3. GT wishes to become a Ram if he cannot secure regular first team football at WBAFC

3. DCFC made an initial offer which was rejected, and are preparing a secondary offer

It really is that simple, and the bickering and snide comments aren't really needed. If we match the fee he's ours, if not he's a Baggie. He's under contract their, the cards are in JP and WBA's hands, simples.

This thread is embarrassing.

2 Baggies come on here and get subject to all this garbage.

A few observations.....

George Thorne made a huge improvement to us.

Players like GT are not ten a penny, they are rare.

He fits our system perfectly.

He would like to join us but is under contract to west brom.

If we want to sign him then we will have to meet THEIR asking price.

We can't name our price and then bleat that they are being stubborn or unfair if our bid is rejected.

Bidding under £1m is not clever.

It is totally pointless and makes us look like amateurs.

Hopefully we make a second serious and credible bid asap.

If we cannot afford him then thank west brom for the loan, thank GT for his endeavours and announce that we are moving on.

But frankly we have had ages to determine the asking price, we said we were going to have a real go to make this happen, or this just more posing in front of the fans in McFarlands Bar?

Good post

Really? So you think you will be back to finishing 8th, 10th or 11th? Your club is in an awful position to be quite honest. The three that have just gone up are no pushovers. Two have money to spend. I look at teams like Sunderland, Villa and Swansea and say they had bad one off seasons. I am afraid your season objective will be trying to stay up. If you think otherwise you are deluded. 

Objective 1 is always to stay up. It was the primary objective in all three of those seasons. Once we've got to 40 points then we look at getting as high as possible.

I hope, with the correct signings we can finish maybe 10th-13th. We do have a lot of talent in our squad. All the deadwood has gone. 

The core of the squad isn't half bad.

Sessegnon

Brunt

Foster

Olsson

Mulumbu

Yacob

Anichebe

Then we got youngsters like Dawson, Thorne and Berahino who will more than likely be decent PL players.

Last summer was hideous for transfers - Sinclair, Anelka, Lugano, Popov, Amalfitano (most of the time), Vydra were poor. A few good signings and i think we'll be ok. Call me deluded. I don't think i am, not saying we're going to win the league am i? 

Last summer was hideous for transfers - Sinclair, Anelka, Lugano, Popov, Amalfitano (most of the time), Vydra were poor. A few good signings and i think we'll be ok. Call me deluded. I don't think i am, not saying we're going to win the league am i?

I thought Amalfitano scored some very important goals for you, and at times was your best player/the one likely to make something happen!

I thought Amalfitano scored some very important goals for you, and at times was your best player/the one likely to make something happen!

Scored some absolute worldies but his general form over the season was poor. Never really offered the full back much defence, always ran into corners.

He did split opinion a bit, some baggies may say that overall he was decent but for me he was too inconsistent. 

I have a feeling that this transfer saga is a smokescreen to the real dealings of other transfer targets that are taking place behind the scene. Throw the media a bone and conduct your business under the radar.

Yes. Like Scott Sinclair!!

Then we got youngsters like Dawson, Thorne and Berahino who will more than likely be decent PL players.

Don't think the other Baggies answered me... But:

a) Do you really think Thorne stands a chance of a first team starting berth this season?

b) If not, can you really begrudge a guy who's nearly 22 wanting first team football?

You don't want Scott Sinclair. Seems to be more interested in hanging out with Helen Flanagan on a Saturday afternoon than playing football. Seems to have lost his appetite for football.

heh, we were linked with him from nowhere I think. Not many of us believed it and even less fancied the chances of us covering his wages.

Plus, I think he's probably more famous than he is good at football?

I'd love just to have the team that lost at Wembley. But Wisdom will hang around to see if he can take a step higher, Bamford won't come back to play a small role again imo and that leaves Thorne...

I miss rubbish loans. Did you lot expect to get Lukaku back? Or did you know he'd be gone?

Don't think the other Baggies answered me... But:

a) Do you really think Thorne stands a chance of a first team starting berth this season?

b) If not, can you really begrudge a guy who's nearly 22 wanting first team football?

I'll answer your second question first. No. But I think he will be in our first team this season.

Funny discussion this, Thorne made his mark here so we are bidding him makes sense, But all of sudden WBA unearth the talent that he is they are throwing a fit...

If we can find thorne, we can find someone equally or better than him without a sweat. Fact is we dont want to break the bank for players is a philosophy that was hard learned lesson - One which i see the Rams follow for some time to come.

Listen one thing that isn't going to happen, despite that other baggies may have said on here, is he is not going to be rotting in the reserves for 3 years to spite him.

He's a young lad, showed his frustration, but he isn't going to be sold. The only option available to him is knuckle down and get on with it.

That being said, No one is guaranteed a first 11 spot. Mulumbu and Yacob are in front of him, deservedly so as they have put in the years and performed to deserve the spot. But Thorne offers us something different. Yacob is a ball winner, can't pass much, just wins the ball and lays it off. Mulumbu is more box to box. Thorne is a deep playmaker who can also put a tackle in. 3 different players, playing for 2 positions. Injuries, suspensions happen and also we will line up differently against certain opposition. Sometimes we may need protection of Mulumbu and Yacob, sometimes we may play a counter game and need Thorne to release one of his beautiful long through balls. You just can't tell. But one thing I can guarantee, is he will be in the mix. Are we going to promise a 21 year old that he will definitely be in the first 11 all the time - no. our captain Chris Brunt spent half the time on the bench last season. Does he deserve to be given a chance - yes. And it's up to him to take it.

I'll answer your second question first. No. But I think he will be in our first team this season.

Fair nuff...

If he isn't... would you begrudge him leaving? Bearing in mind you may have a manager coming in who has no knowledge of how well he's played for us...

I absolutely guarantee that Tom Carroll will join West Brom next season under Sherwood, either on-loan or otherwise.

Therefore, I expect Thorne at Derby. 

It'll be a ridiculous swap, but then again, they're close to appointing a ridiculous manager.

Archived