George Thorne

North_Stand_Ram

If I heard Bryson had handed in a second transfer request, me as a fan wouldn't want him anywhere near our club... Couldn't stand the thought of watching / paying to see a player not wearing the shirt with pride and only picking up his wages.Can't really see how you Baggy boys are still backing him or is it your club you are backing, which is an obvious thing to say... But I would be wanting players who really want to be there.Thorne clearly gives zero ***** about WBA.

If WBA value Thorne at say £5 mill, should they let him go for £1.5m just because he's put in a transfer request?

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If WBA value Thorne at say £5 mill, should they let him go for £1.5m just because he's put in a transfer request?

Depends what is more valuable to you.

Having a player sulk around the training ground in the reserves, paying his wages or take the money. Your Owner's will be thinking about the exact question you have put. 

You have an absolute right to reject every bid and tell George to play for West Brom. At the same time he has the right to not want to be at your football club and try to facilitate a move by handing in a transfer request.

All the parties involved can do what they want to help their interests. 

I've got to say I don't understand why derby fans on here (McMuffin aside as he apologised) are taking shots at you, you seem level headed and actually seem to be up for an actual football discussion, I for one quite like your posts, and think you personally add something to this thread

Thanks appreciate that.

Most peoples views are slightly biased towards the club they support. Just some people can take it to extremes. Majority of WBA fans wouldn't want to see George stay with us and be unhappy, all they want is the best price we can get for him.

While some derby fans view that they would just let a unhappy player go is admirable, I'm sure if this was playing out around Hughes, their views would be different.

If a deal for Thorne can be struck, don't be surprised if it is a season long loan with a binding transfer and fee after the loan period.

Thanks appreciate that.

Most peoples views are slightly biased towards the club they support. Just some people can take it to extremes. Majority of WBA fans wouldn't want to see George stay with us and be unhappy, all they want is the best price we can get for him.

While some derby fans view that they would just let a unhappy player go is admirable, I'm sure if this was playing out around Hughes, their views would be different.

If a deal for Thorne can be struck, don't be surprised if it is a season long loan with a binding transfer and fee after the loan period.

You not seen the Bryson thread? Many, me inlcuded, would be happy to see him leave for whatever the money if he doesn't want to be here.

I just can't get my head round why fans would want players to stay at the club who don't want to be there, managers, chairman...etc I understand, but fans?

I'd rather support a team in the conference than a player who doesn't want to be at the club. I just don't see the point.

Depends what is more valuable to you. Having a player sulk around the training ground in the reserves, paying his wages or take the money. Your Owner's will be thinking about the exact question you have put.   You have an absolute right to reject every bid and tell George to play for West Brom. At the same time he has the right to not want to be at your football club and try to facilitate a move by handing in a transfer request. All the parties involved can do what they want to help their interests.

All very true, I just find it funny how some derby fans think WBA are in some way acting inappropriately. When in truth they are either

A) trying to hold onto a player they regard highly.

B) trying to get the best possible deal for the player if he does leave

Derby would be doing exactly the same if roles were reversed

You not seen the Bryson thread? Many, me inlcuded, would be happy to see him leave for whatever the money if he doesn't want to be here. I just can't get my head round why fans would want players to stay at the club who don't want to be there, managers, chairman...etc I understand, but fans? I'd rather support a team in the conference than a player who doesn't want to be at the club. I just don't see the point.

Out of interest what price is Bryson's market value to derby, and would you really be happy to receive a fraction of that because he wants out? What if every player at derby wanted out, would you be happy for them to go in cut price deals and have no money left to rebuild the squad?

If Thorne goes I really don't care. Players come and go but the club will always be there. I just want the club to perform their due diligence and get the price they value their asset at.

Thanks appreciate that.

I have to be honest and say we would of course want to get the best deal possible for a player like Hughes/Bryson/Hendrick but again these are first team players playing regularly, now if it was a player like Mark O'Brien who is held in High regard here and is tipped to do very well is 19/20 had seasons full of injury, very similar to Thorne, who went out on loan and did well and we didn't think we could give him a lot of first team football and he said he wanted to go... Then yeah I think we would let him go at a cut price maybe 75% of what be valued him at.

We did a similar thing with Jacobs and Wolves this season.

Out of interest what price is Bryson's market value to derby, and would you really be happy to receive a fraction of that because he wants out? What if every player at derby wanted out, would you be happy for them to go in cut price deals and have no money left to rebuild the squad?

If Thorne goes I really don't care. Players come and go but the club will always be there. I just want the club to perform their due diligence and get the price they value their asset at.

Personally I value Bryson at the peak of his career at around 3mil but as he wants out I'd take 1.5 - 2mil

All very true, I just find it funny how some derby fans think WBA are in some way acting inappropriately. When in truth they are either

A) trying to hold onto a player they regard highly.

B) trying to get the best possible deal for the player if he does leave

Derby would be doing exactly the same if roles were reversed

Yeah Derby have no right to anything, George Thorne is not our player.

If he does leave hopefully both West Brom and Derby can be satisfied and go their separate ways no bad feelings.

..and so it continues..

i do like the idea of a season long loan with a view to buy at the end tho..

if we go up we'll give you 5 mill , if we don' t , you can have him back ,

or we can continue to negotiate further ..

..and so it continues..

i do like the idea of a season long loan with a view to buy at the end tho..

if we go up we'll give you 5 mill , if we don' t , you can have him back ,

or we can continue to negotiate further ..

WBA have a history of these kind of deals.

Paul Robinson to Bolton

Jonathan Greening to Fulham

Thomas Kuzack to Man united

All were season long loans, with binding permanent transfer and fee set at the start.

The funny thing was Fulham fans thought they could send him back if he was carp, he was carp but they still had to go through with £5 mill transfer.

I'd say Bryson is worth about £2-3m to us. £2-3m should see us get in a player of equal or better ability with possibly a little compensation for our troubles to spend elsewhere in the team.

If he wants out then we have to look at what Burnley are willing to pay. Yes we have to try and get close to what we want but we must be wary that we could be asking too much and end up stuck with a player who wants out.

This is the stage I imagine DCFC and WBA are at.

If we kept rejecting Burnley and Bryson's transfer request and we did end up with a want away player... then we have to try and engineer interest in him. Probably then showing our desperation to get rid and take a lower price still.

I understand what WBA are doing. I just don't understand the "let him rot in the reserves" talk.

I hope our clubs will find that magic number. If we walk away and Thorne still wants out then he'll be worth whatever price another club wants to pay. You've lost your bargaining power.

Bryson or Thorne, if they want to leave and only one club is putting in bids then your best bet is to squeeze what you can out of that club. If that club stops bidding then you're stuck with a player and whatever offers you can manufacture

When I say £2-3m to us I don't mean he's worth £2-3m to everybody. Let's not have the "how can he be worth the same as Thorne" arguments.

If Burnley/Derby the only club interested are only prepared to pay £1.5m (assuming both players are wanting out) then I'd take that sort of figure.

I'd say Bryson is worth about £2-3m to us. £2-3m should see us get in a player of equal or better ability with possibly a little compensation for our troubles to spend elsewhere in the team.

If he wants out then we have to look at what Burnley are willing to pay. Yes we have to try and get close to what we want but we must be wary that we could be asking too much and end up stuck with a player who wants out.

This is the stage I imagine DCFC and WBA are at.

If we kept rejecting Burnley and Bryson's transfer request and we did end up with a want away player... then we have to try and engineer interest in him. Probably then showing our desperation to get rid and take a lower price still.

I understand what WBA are doing. I just don't understand the "let him rot in the reserves" talk.

I hope our clubs will find that magic number. If we walk away and Thorne still wants out then he'll be worth whatever price another club wants to pay. You've lost your bargaining power.

Bryson or Thorne, if they want to leave and only one club is putting in bids then your best bet is to squeeze what you can out of that club. If that club stops bidding then you're stuck with a player and whatever offers you can manufacture

It's a few wba fans saying let him rot in the reserves. Thankfully it's not their decision to make. The wba coaching staff will take a much more sensible view.

If Derby walk away wba won't need to manufacture interest as they are quite happy for him to stay. Therefore will be in no weaker position and no bargaining power lost.

We are taking a massive risk on a player with an injured past and only 20 appearances for us.

He'll be one of the best players in the championship granted, if he stays injury free.

Let me put this into perspective Lansbury went to Forest for £1m at the same age Thorne is now and with a lot more appearances behind him. At the time he was (probably not as highly rated as Thorne but) very highly rated.

West Brom have a money man not a football man in charge hence ending up with Irvine in charge instead of a number of candidates who the fans would have preferred and who would have been realistic.

I think (I know he has acted like a bit a nob) the most important thing here is the career of a talented young England player and letting him rot is the last thing anyone really wants.

We won't let him rot. If we think he isn't good enough at the moment to get into our first team then we will (as we do with all our players at that level) loan him out to have competitive game time.

Then re-assess in January and then next Summer whether he is a first team player or not and if not, then sell him with 2 years left on his contract.

PistoldPete2

You not seen the Bryson thread? Many, me inlcuded, would be happy to see him leave for whatever the money if he doesn't want to be here.

I just can't get my head round why fans would want players to stay at the club who don't want to be there, managers, chairman...etc I understand, but fans?

I'd rather support a team in the conference than a player who doesn't want to be at the club. I just don't see the point.

Difference as well between Thorne and Bryson is that Thorne is not even getting in WBA team. Cant blame him if he wants away and doesnt want to rot in the reserves. Dont know yet whether Bryson wants away anyway or how much Burnley have offered.   £1.5 m seems fair for Thorne , he wasnt our POTY, Bryson was.

Archived