NC to SUFC

DcFc Dyycheee

Sounds to me like he hasn't slated the fans.

Sheff Utd are languishing, badly, and he's there to give them a lift. He'll use anything, so getting the supporters on his side is really important.

Fair play to him.

I can see that.

It's twisted when someone takes a positive aimed in one direction and uses it as a negative in another.

Like when I say to my girl "ooh your hair looks nice today", and she takes it as me saying "your hair looked horrible yesterday"!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you actually listen to the words he's spoken rather than what's been quoted, you'd realise he's not mardy at all. Shows how much you can be mis-quoted when you mention your old club for 30 seconds in a 10 minute press conference, and that's all anyone chooses to remember.

I saw some positive fans on a Blades forum make some interesting points - will managing a team that isn't Derby, with all the implications and pressures that comes with the job for the family, change his approach?

Clough undeniably did a fantastic job. I'll remember him as the man who sorted the club out. But his eventual problem was spending too long on not losing rather than winning. And performances often got judged on effort as opposed to how close we came to winning (see his final post-match interview).

One of the defining memories I have is watching a dodgy stream of the Blackburn game on holiday in France. Martin Tyler, one of the most experienced broadcasters in football, could not maintain his neutrality and could barely hold back his disbelief in the way we tried to close out a 1-0 win at home for the final half an hour of the match.

I wish him every bit of luck at Sheffield United. But he needs to change to make a good go of it. To be honest though, too much emphasis from us fans is placed on manager and not enough on management. His father's genius only really counted for anything in a team with his underrated number 2. I doubt Steve McLaren as a manager is any better than Clough but with Simmo involved, I think we've tapped into something very special indeed.

Who knows, maybe Chris Morgan is the coach we were all crying out for here at Derby.

oh stop lauding him McClarens our manager now Cloughs history

Curtains - am I lauding him?

Have I said he's the greatest manager in our history?

Have I said that McClaren is a bad appointment?

No, I haven't.

All I'm saying is Clough hasn't said anything wrong, that's it. I know you find it hard to believe that people are good when they are employed by Derby and bad when they are no longer employed by Derby, but in real life that isn't the case.

Curtains - am I lauding him?

Have I said he's the greatest manager in our history?

Have I said that McClaren is a bad appointment?

No, I haven't.

All I'm saying is Clough hasn't said anything wrong, that's it. I know you find it hard to believe that people are good when they are employed by Derby and bad when they are no longer employed by Derby, but in real life that isn't the case.

Yes but some people can remain bitter allegedly

I'd like to think NC has more class than to actually slate the fans, after all, the massive majority of fans, never turned on him vocally..

Why?

After some of the abuse and name calling he has had to put up with he is well within his rights to now respond.

If people are more than happy to give their opinion on Clough then they should also be willing to let him have his say back.

Why?

After some of the abuse and name calling he has had to put up with he is well within his rights to now respond.

If people are more than happy to give their opinion on Clough then they should also be willing to let him have his say back.

Dont remember him slating the fans. He said he was shocked to be sacked.

Hope he does well at Sheff U. 

Dont remember him slating the fans. He said he was shocked to be sacked.

Hope he does well at Sheff U. 

Not listened to the full interview so can't comment.

Just think that if he does have a problem with the way some fans treated him I would not have a problem with him coming out and saying so.

Its amazing how fickle some of our fans are. Archie Gemmill made the point on Monday that against Ipswich at half time some fans were booing the team off and calling for the board to be sacked and 45 minutes later they were giving the team a standing ovation.

Why?

the only name calling and abuse I know he received was from Forest fans calling him Non League Nigel. I don't recall hearing him receive anything from Derby fans.

Not listened to the full interview so can't comment.

Just think that if he does have a problem with the way some fans treated him I would not have a problem with him coming out and saying so.

Its amazing how fickle some of our fans are. Archie Gemmill made the point on Monday that against Ipswich at half time some fans were booing the team off and calling for the board to be sacked and 45 minutes later they were giving the team a standing ovation.

What does Archie Gemmill know :wacko:

the only name calling and abuse I know he received was from Forest fans calling him Non League Nigel. I don't recall hearing him receive anything from Derby fans.

Perhaps not at matches, other than the obligatory booing or moaning every time we go behind, let a goal in or don't score in the first 30 minutes.

Anyone seen the interview where he is on about Sheff Utd being a proper football club? Seems to have a dig at us Derby fans, something along the lines of "you get your modern stadiums where they have 25000 and it is really quiet but this place only has 17/18000 and they raise the roof off the ground"

Not a dig at all IMO, plus we haven't been getting 25,000 for a few season anyway.

Perhaps not at matches, other than the obligatory booing or moaning every time we go behind, let a goal in or don't score in the first 30 minutes.

If that upset him, he's gonna be suicidal at Bumhole Lane!

Can someone find the clip on Youtube of the "Sheff United fan pulls hat", it's amazing! When they're all booing Bryan Robson. (I'd do it myself but cannot access Youtube here)

If that upset him, he's gonna be suicidal at Bumhole Lane!

Can someone find the clip on Youtube of the "Sheff United fan pulls hat", it's amazing! When they're all booing Bryan Robson. (I'd do it myself but cannot access Youtube here)

Agree and likewise it should not upset the fans if he takes a swipe back

I can see him being a bit hurt by the amount of "feelgood factor" that people who would ordinarily have been in support of NC have admitted feeling in recent weeks.

I always thought that when really positive, Derby were a really good team under NC, just found the (perceived) fear and negativity unbearable.

I can see him being a bit hurt by the amount of "feelgood factor" that people who would ordinarily have been in support of NC have admitted feeling in recent weeks.

I always thought that when really positive, Derby were a really good team under NC, just found the (perceived) fear and negativity unbearable.

They were never a really good team.

I'd like to think NC has more class than to actually slate the fans, after all, the massive majority of fans, never turned on him vocally..

It seemed like a small dig, I was surprised at it tbh because, as you said the fans never turned on him, there was never any 'Clough out' chants at any game, even during some terrible run of results

Archived