Lennox Lewis

-JW-

Could he return??

Former undisputed heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis would be happy to make a sensational return to the ring to face IBF, WBA and WBO titlist Wladimir Klitschko - but only for the biggest purse in boxing history.

The 48-year-old Lewis last fought professionally over a decade ago, but told the Daily Mail he would be ready to step back into the ring with only six months of training on the condition that he is paid $100million, more than double the purse that was guaranteed to Floyd Mayweather in his victory over Saul Alvarez.

Lewis says he was offered $50m to end his retirement while he attended Klitschko's uninspiring unanimous decision victory over Alexander Povetkin in Moscow at the weekend, but would need double that to spring into action.

"That is my price tag and it is under discussion," Lewis told the Daily Mail. "I have told them I can be ready in six months and I am in provisional training.

"I said at the time that it will take $50m to get me out of my pyjamas but now I have to consider the value of my legacy of having retired as undisputed champion. That will cost them $100m."

Lewis had always maintained he had no interest in making a comeback since retiring after beating Klitschko's older brother Vitali in June 2003 in controversial circumstances, retaining his WBC title when the fight was stopped after the sixth round in Los Angeles.

The Ukrainian had a deep cut above his left eye but led on the judges' scorecards when officials ruled he could not continue. In the referee's opinion the cut had been caused by a punch, which meant that Lewis was automatically declared the winner.

A much-hyped rematch never materialised, but Lewis would be more focused on a fight with Wladimir should he decide to return to the ring.

"I beat Vitali so I would like to fight the other brother but we'll see how it works out," he said.

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/8965642/lennox-lewis-names-his-price-for-showdown-with-wladimir-klitschko

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In his prime he was good.. But he knew Vitali was the better fighter, he knew he would have lost that fight.. He got lucky that he managed to open up a cut and got out of there as the winner..

If he had any decency he would have offered a rematch.. It's not like he knocked him out or beat him on points where it's clear who the better fighter was.. After him kicking up a fuss over the Holyfield draw and after him willing to take his opponent to court to order a rematch when he lost his belt he really let himself down in many people's eyes with how he treated Vitali..

Now he still goes on about being the best etc.. When both the Klitschkos in their prime are far better.. Wlad now in his prime is one of the best heavyweights ever IMO and would destroy an old, fragile Lewis.. It's all trash talk, and Lewis needs to talk himself up because people are starting to forget him very quickly..

Lewis in his prime was excellent - but that was 15-20 years ago, way before he beat Klitschko. Whether he was as good as either of the Klitschkos in their prime - or Tyson before him, or Frazier, or Foreman, or Ali, or Norton, or Holmes, or Marciano, or <insert boxer here> we will never know, because time doesn't work like that.

Archived