Eric Steele

Geriatram

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brilliant interview with Eric by Owen Bradley.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24352119#asset

He genuinely seems delighted to be back here, he also mentioned that he bought Lee Grant to the club when he was 15 and Ross Atkins when he was 8.

I don't mean this as a criticism of Grant as I'm happy with him but does anyone else wonder what Fielding under Steele would have done? Seemed to have potential (England squad etc) but then never fulfilled it. Wonder if Steele would have had him pushing on.

I'm not the best judge of goalkeepers but it seemed to me that we wore Fielding down. He was superb in his loan spell, as soon as he signed he seemed to slowly decline. Distribution went out of the window, mistakes started creeping in. Martin Taylor never looked the part to me. What do I know though. 

I think Steele would have made Frank a better player. They've spent time together too at Blackburn. 

I thought frank when he first joined just had a few good months but a true test of a keeper is consistency. He hasn't got that yet and now lost his place at Bristol city. While I'm not a huge fan of Taylor as he always looked annoyed and like he didn't want to be there I don't blame him for fielding not getting better, I just don't think he was that good to start with

I'm not the best judge of goalkeepers but it seemed to me that we wore Fielding down. He was superb in his loan spell, as soon as he signed he seemed to slowly decline. Distribution went out of the window, mistakes started creeping in. Martin Taylor never looked the part to me. What do I know though.

I think Steele would have made Frank a better player. They've spent time together too at Blackburn.

I agree mate...... Martin Taylor looked like he could hardly walk let alone coach!! Tbh when you look back at the Clough set up its embarrassing!!

#magicbrolly

Archived