NFL thread

Perky1106

I'll bow to your superior knowledge but I do think it is worth bearing in mind that the likes of Manning, Romo, Rivers and Roethlisberger will soon be starting their decline towards retirement (if they haven't already begun it) leaving the ever improving Luck, Rodgers and Wilson.  I think it just depends on the pace of Newton's improvement this season - sure they will play to his strengths, but who wouldn't?

whilst you're right, wasn't the debate about this coming season?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

whilst you're right, wasn't the debate about this coming season?

Yeah, he said top 3 this season, which is lunacy. 

Yes I am referring to this season.  All depends on the speed of decline...

The way players are judged in the NFL, in particular QB's, means that a player is highly to break into the "top-tier" at their position after one statistically good season. Players are judged over time, consistently performing at that high level.

Cam is widely viewed as a playmaker, but too many aspects of his game are good, not great. Plus, even if the big names start to decline rapidly this season, you've already mentioned 3 QB's on their way to supplant them as top-tier at the position. The way to look at it would be your team is down by a score, with time for one drive. Whose your QB? Cam would be high up that list, but at the moment maybe not in the top 10 even 

I've just read that Russell Wilson is 'only' currently on $1.5m per year - with about 40 NFL QBs earning more.

I assume this is because he is still on his rookie contract and because he wasn't drafted early it wasn't a great deal at the time.  Can players in Rookie contracts renegotiate or are they tied to their original deal? 

I've just read that Russell Wilson is 'only' currently on $1.5m per year - with about 40 NFL QBs earning more.

I assume this is because he is still on his rookie contract and because he wasn't drafted early it wasn't a great deal at the time.  Can players in Rookie contracts renegotiate or are they tied to their original deal? 

He is and they can - they've been in contract negotiations for a while. Wilson keeps saying "it'll sort itself out" which suggests there's a difference in valuation between the Seahawks organisation and Wilson's agent. 
Basically the Wilson camp want him to be in the top 3 highest paid QBs where as Seahawks want him on a franchise contract that would probably see him closer to 6-7 highest paid QB

He'll likely have a new contract before the start of the competitive season.

He is and they can - they've been in contract negotiations for a while. Wilson keeps saying "it'll sort itself out" which suggests there's a difference in valuation between the Seahawks organisation and Wilson's agent. 
Basically the Wilson camp want him to be in the top 3 highest paid QBs where as Seahawks want him on a franchise contract that would probably see him closer to 6-7 highest paid QB

He'll likely have a new contract before the start of the competitive season.

they keep talking about a new "bar". Obviously they're expecting the cap to go up which always means deals will get bigger but there was rumours about a fully guaranteed contract. 

• 3 weeks later...

Roger "The Goods" Goodell has upheld Tom Brady's suspension for his role in 'deflategate'. Brilliant news. 4 games for the cheating Patriots. 

Main justification comes from Brady refusing to co-operate with investigators by handing over his mobile phone. Not only did he not hand it over, he then destroyed it and didn't tell anyone. 

Innocent men don't do that. 

Other news:

Le'Veon Bell's suspension reduced to two games... One of those being Bradyless Patriots. 

Junior Gallette also been released by the Saints for being a crazy man. Some off the field stuff with domestic violence and sounded like a toxic locker room presence. Main issue for Saints is massive cap him both this year and next, just to get rid of him. Beyond that, they have literally no pass rush. 

Roger "The Goods" Goodell has upheld Tom Brady's suspension for his role in 'deflategate'. Brilliant news. 4 games for the cheating Patriots. 

Main justification comes from Brady refusing to co-operate with investigators by handing over his mobile phone. Not only did he not hand it over, he then destroyed it and didn't tell anyone. 

Innocent men don't do that. 

Other news:

Le'Veon Bell's suspension reduced to two games... One of those being Bradyless Patriots. 

Junior Gallette also been released by the Saints for being a crazy man. Some off the field stuff with domestic violence and sounded like a toxic locker room presence. Main issue for Saints is massive cap him both this year and next, just to get rid of him. Beyond that, they have literally no pass rush. 

Saints relying on an investigation to prove he's broken league rules, allowing them to get their money back.

Saints relying on an investigation to prove he's broken league rules, allowing them to get their money back.

not sure what rule they're aiming for. We've been carrying Ray Rice's dead money for years now. 

Is it possible, due to trades for a team to have more than one pick in a draft round?

yeah, quite common teams will. 

Later rounds especially as they're more readily traded. Add into the compensatory picks too and you can find teams with 3 or 4 picks in like round 5 or something. 

Archived