FA Cup back on the BBC

SSD

And about time too! :D

The BBC has secured a four-year shared rights deal with BT Sport that will see both broadcasters show the FA Cup from the start of the 2014-15 season.

BBC One will broadcast the competition, with live streaming available across online, mobile and tablet devices.

"Bringing the FA Cup back to the BBC was something I really wanted to do," said BBC director general Tony Hall.

"I am so pleased that we have achieved it for football fans everywhere," Hall added.

"There is something very special about big national moments on the BBC and the FA Cup should absolutely be one of them.

"The Olympics, Wimbledon and Glastonbury have shown how our audiences love it when we put the full weight of all our services on TV, radio and digital behind covering these events in depth and in ways no-one else can.

"Working closely with the FA I believe we will change the way we view the FA Cup forever."

The deal was announced at Wembley Stadium on Wednesday.

Details of how many games will be shown live by the BBC have yet to be released. Radio coverage of the FA Cup also continues on BBC Radio 5 live until 2018.

Led by Gary Lineker, the BBC's presentation of the FA Cup will become an integral part of the BBC One schedule.

The FA Cup is added to the BBC's TV football portfolio, centered on Match of the Day, and that also includes the Football League Show, with action from every game in the Football League, the current Uefa Women's European Championships and the 2014 Fifa World Cup.

In addition, BBC Radio 5 live will this season broadcast live football commentary of 128 Premier League games, as well as games in the FA Cup, the League Cup, the Champions League and the Europa League.

New FA chairman, Greg Dyke, said: "I would like to thank everyone who expressed an interest in these FA Cup broadcast rights and congratulate the BBC and BT Sport on their successful tenders.

"Their valuable support underlines what a great competition the FA Cup is and how important it is to the sporting calendar.

"ITV have done a tremendous job in recent years and we look forward to their fantastic continued support of the England team.

"The BBC is obviously an organisation I know very well but I don't think anyone would dispute that their name goes hand in hand with some of the most famous FA Cup moments of yesteryear.

"We're delighted that the competition is back on their channels, not just through television but with significant online presence as well."

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It won't make much difference what side it's on.

It will be Portsmouth in the 1st 2 rounds, and manure, man Sh1tty, arse, Chelsea & scousers on from 3rd round, on..

Leeds mate, Leeds are on the box at every opportunity.

Who cares we never make it past the 3rd round :(

I never knew that 'never' actually means 'eight times in the last ten years'

Archived