Nigel Clough: My best squad in time at the Rams

Day

Thanks for the info. Fairly happy with this. All formations have pros and cons, we'll see what happens as the season unfolds.

How are the academy looking - are they training too?

I would imagine that is an opinion rather than info.

Until he has tried the different formations in pre-season he will not even know the best formation himself.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why as I asked someone why he thinks freeman is brilliant or I pointed out that most managers including our own say that the squad for this coming season is their best yet. Sorry I will just rejoice as we have the league won already

“Is it our strongest squad yet? Yes, I think so.

Think his post was in reference to previous seasons

Keep up :D

Don't managers say this is their best squad nearly every year?

Hard to say really as managers very rarely last more than 2 years unless they are improving their squad.

I would say our squad as a whole has improved every season that NC has been here but I have yet to hear him say it until now.

Although we may have had better individual players during his reign I think this is the least amount of 'deadwood' we have had in the squad and probably the best team unit if the new players settle in as I believe they will.

If you look at what he inherited ....

Camara, Darren Powell, Pereplotkins, Villa, Stubbs, Zadkovich, Albrechtson, Carroll, Mears, Todd, Sterjovski, Dickinson, Nyatanga, Jordan Stewart, Claude the Clown, Prijovic, Connolly, Teale, McEverley, Barnes, Price, Hulse, Commons, Pringle, Leacock, Savage, Varney, Bywater, Pearson, Green etc etc

.... It's VASTLY improved!

2 points for why it is.

1.We haven't bought internationals like other high spending clubs yet we have created them. We have the most youth internationals in the championship and 10th in the prem.We haven't got players who are at their peak but players who are already considered very good champ players who can vastly improve.

2.The players who are considered first team regulars are of better quality now but most importantly the players to step in are not old pros on high wages but young players who are improving every week and pushing the first team. We were use to have a starting 11 and players who would be out of favour Bywater,Leacock etc. who just take up space. Now we have a team/squad of players even more so this year with the scholars taking the young players like Val place in the u21 so they can be around the First team.

So Clough has his strongest squad since his arrival here, am still trying to find out from the article useful stuff on the back of this statement regards the potential of this squad, where he thinks this squad will end up, really vacuous statement. If I had a Datsun Cherry and upgraded it to a Ford Focus would be an improvement but wouldnt get me anywhere near the winners podium in the British Grand Prix

So Clough has his strongest squad since his arrival here, am still trying to find out from the article useful stuff on the back of this statement regards the potential of this squad, where he thinks this squad will end up, really vacuous statement. If I had a Datsun Cherry and upgraded it to a Ford Focus would be an improvement but wouldnt get me anywhere near the winners podium in the British Grand Prix

Oh, shut up

:p

With the new recruits Clough has said he's going to look at different formations over the summer through pre-season.

Come the start of the season I don't expect anything dramatic to change, in fact the team and formation I think will be very similar Grant in place of fielding, straight back four possibly the same depending on whether we bring in a new centre half, same midfield with either Coutts or Hughes in rotate, Wardy attacking mid left side and Sammon up top nearest to him and Russell on the far side up top.

The idea we'd play 3 and the back would be essentially 5-3-2 with Brayf and Forsyth as wing backs. Maybe bringing Hughes into the starting line up as 3 central mids. (To good practice this could work but could leave us losing the battle in the middle of the park). If we're to play this formation we MUST sign another centre half.

4-3-3 as it was called all last season, Wardys attacking role is classed as being a striker when really it should be 4-3-1-2.

And! On topic, this is the best well shaped side we've had since Clough has been in, getting rid of all the high paid waste and bringing in players at the right price. It's not been pretty these last season's but it's better than blowing it all with Arab billionaire's (who don't actually have a penny) in charge! So fair play to NC best team for options for a number of seasons.

Interesting.

So if we finish lower positioned than last season; Clough (along with the peeps on here) will come out and admit he isn't the right man to take us forward? Afteral the squad is bigger, better and more experienced than before.

I've said on another thread if we finish in the top six then I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about Clough. Now what about if I'm actually right? Will everyone who says we will be amongst the play offs this season come forward and say they were wrong and that Clough isn't capable of such a thing?

Interesting.

So if we finish lower positioned than last season; Clough (along with the peeps on here) will come out and admit he isn't the right man to take us forward? Afteral the squad is bigger, better and more experienced than before.

I've said on another thread if we finish in the top six then I'll be the first to admit I was wrong about Clough. Now what about if I'm actually right? Will everyone who says we will be amongst the play offs this season come forward and say they were wrong and that Clough isn't capable of such a thing?

That's a fair enough point to make and it will be on everyone's mind if we don't improve next season. Although I think he'd at least get another season to sort it out after that if no improvement then the pitchforks will be out!

All Clough has said is that his squad is the strongest he's had since his time here. So what. Back it up with some measurable targets then I would be interested.

Why do you want him to specify a target - so you can hang, draw and quarter him as usual before a ball is kicked in anger?

Oh wait - you do that anyway - all the time.

We said that last season. And the one before that.

I wasn't one of them but know many people over the last 2 seasons including many I know didn't renew. It'd take a dramatically poor season to provoke us to be thinking about getting rid of him but as a supporter through thick and thin the work he's done has been progressive in one way or another each season.

You are my little ray of sunshine..... :wub:

Why do you want him to specify a target - so you can hang, draw and quarter him as usual before a ball is kicked in anger?

Oh wait - you do that anyway - all the time.

I would just like some openness and transparency not banal utterances about how great our squad is - I can't think of many jobs where you are not given targets every year and there are success/failure rewards/consequences. Even on Championship Manager when I had nothing better to do the boards expectations were communicated every year, non compliance would result in the bullet. The person who has not been set any targets can never fail, I don't necessarily want Clough to fail I want someone to come and communicate what an acceptable season would be next year from the club and then reward achievement or conversely punish failure - stretch targets as well.

Interesting.

Is being right that important to you?

Archived