Where do we go from here

Hans

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think its interesting because how the **** did hull get 2nd place, they only scored something like 41 goals, reminds me of derby's promotion seaso where we had a lot of 1-0 wins.

Could somebody actually tell me how they went up, bearing in mind the quality of their players is pretty average and their low goal tally.

I think its interesting because how the **** did hull get 2nd place, they only scored something like 41 goals, reminds me of derby's promotion seaso where we had a lot of 1-0 wins.

Could somebody actually tell me how they went up, bearing in mind the quality of their players is pretty average and their low goal tally.

Low goal tally = even lower number of goals conceded, we seem to obsess on here about getting a 20 goal a season striker in the club but if we work on our defence there's no need - look at our away record, we conceded virtually 2 goals a game, we would effectively need to score 2 goals every away game to get anything from it, mission impossible

When Hull came down here before Christmas they were incredibly disciplined and organised. It's about the only time all season anyone shut our football down for most of the game at PPS. That nous, physicality and strength has got them up.

Can't blame you for asking this question because we have no IT at Derby - a proper manager. 

Can't blame you for asking this question because we have no IT at Derby - a proper manager. 

You see, this is the kind of statement that has no substance whatsoever - or if it has substance, I'm buggered if I understand it.

If Clough wasn't a 'proper manager' and if he really was 'NLN' as so many still refer to him, why are we still in the Championship?

He inherited the complete and utter shambles that Paul Jewell and Billy Davies left us with, a side graced with little cohesion, a couple of very good players but by and large a team full of dross and a wage bill of staggering proportions, and over the four years he has been in charge gradually the freeloaders and wasters have been wheedled out and replaced by 'more honest' professionals acquired largely from the lower leagues or by picking up Bosman type frees.

We have seen a gradual year-on-year improvement with the club playing, on rare occasions admittedly, scintillating passing football, but at least we don't rely on just hoofing it up to a big man. Players who don't make it at Derby are generally sent packing and are then replaced by someone willing to 'die for the shirt' - but you don't tend to hear any bad-mouthing from those who do leave (it remains to be seen what Theo says after being sent out to grass at Huddersfield because they don't seem to rate him at all and of course he hasn't kicked a ball for them in a month - perhaps once again it's the manager who is right and the player who is wrong).

I often hear people's criticism of Clough coming town to three things:

a. he doesn't have the right badges

b. he doesn't know how to handle egos

c. hasn't the balls to stand up to the board

The only published list of qualified UEFA Pro managers I have ever seen was last updated in 2009. I don't know if Clough is working on obtaining the qualification, if he has already got it or if he has no plans to do so. It has been stated that he cannot move to another club because he won't have the necessary qualifications, therefore he can only stay here. It has also been stated that he NEEDS said UEFA Pro qualification to manage Derby should we get to the Premier League. One maniac recently interpreted this as Nigel "...doesn't want Derby to get promoted because he would lose his job". If there was some reason why he HAD to take an exam or prove to his peers that he knows how to run a coaching session (or whatever else might be involved), then I'm pretty sure that he would have the basic intelligence to breeze through it. After all, it must be in his DNA.

As far as egos are concerned, the biggest we've had at Derby in recent years is Robbie Savage. I think Clough handled him pretty well, even getting him to bounce around like an over-excited Afghan Hound for an extra season at half price, and Clough had no issue with BBC setting up a mini-studio at PPS (how much do two tin cans and a piece of string cost?) so Savage could do his 606 stuff. He even got him playing pretty well on occasion (QPR away springs to mind, when Savage was absolutely superb).

The third point is one I really have nothing to say about at all other than this - how do you know what goes on at boardroom level, whether Clough has to go cap-in-hand to the investors or whether he is 'allocated' a budget? I don't expect to know what goes on at board level in my own company, and I'm sure I don't know what goes on at Derby at board level. As I'm not a shareholder, I'm not sure that I'm even entitled to know.

Clough knew what the situation was when he joined Derby and I'm sure he knows what the situation is now. Sam Rush is on board now and things APPEAR to be changing, at least as far as the words coming from the bearded one are concerned. Then again, we've heard plenty of spin before. 

61 goals scored.

Another 20 goals on top of your 41 so that's one reason :) 

Bruce seems to do pretty well at this level. He was fairly unpopular at Sunderland by the time he left but he didn't do too badly there. That said, how many Derby fans would welcome him with open arms [apart from the anti Clough campaigners of course]? I suspect we'd have a busy thread entitled "under-whelming choice" or something like that. He's managed to get his team to win 11 games away from home and that's the difference. Fair play to him.

So that's one example of a successful "Proper Manager" at the moment. Happily, I'm fairly confident that we already have one too.

I'm sorry you feel that way. We're all different I suppose. I must be more of an avid fan than some.

I've been a Rams fan for over 50 years, So, I've pretty much seen it all. I don't think this era is as bad as some of the previous times. I want us to do well whenever we play and I'd love to see Nigel Clough take us back to the Premiership. I'm also realistic and don't expect that to happen unless adequate funds are made available.

I don't think too many managers would do any better than Clough under these present circumstances. Over the years he has  been here, I've read posts from people wanting Warnock, Ferguson, Jackett, Hill and others. I'm more than happy to keep Clough if they are the options. In reality, those kind of managers are the options. We can't afford expensive players and it would be the same for management.

So, I look forward to better times like everyone else and hope that some of this season's mistakes are not repeated. I also look forward to the emergence of our younger players and hope that we can keep all of our best players. If we can, it sends out a message that we're taking it seriously. If not, then we're looking at 8th to 12th again.

I differ from others because I see what has happened to Wolves, Portsmouth, Coventry and others. I think it's healthy to look around at times to give some perspective. It's not that long ago that we were on the edge. Things could have turned out to be a whole lot worse.

Quite right sir.

And look at the teams of the managers you have mentioned, not any better, in fact worse performances this year.

So that's one example of a successful "Proper Manager" at the moment. Happily, I'm fairly confident that we already have one too.

Sorry, we are not. We have a man who knows our/his main problem but does not know how to sort it out. It is a total incompetence for me. Surely, he had enough time in his 4 years here to improve away form but it is getting worse. I guess he needs help.

Sorry, we are not. We have a man who knows our/his main problem but does not know how to sort it out. It is a total incompetence for me. Surely, he had enough time in his 4 years here to improve away form but it is getting worse. I guess he needs help.

I don't think he has had long enough myself. That's where we differ.

Took Alex Ferguson 6.5 years to bring a title to Old Trafford - with the Richest club in the country - able to buy the most expensive players & without having to slash the wage bill

Took Alex Ferguson 6.5 years to bring a title to Old Trafford - with the Richest club in the country - able to buy the most expensive players & without having to slash the wage bill

Board out then?

I like how no one from Clough's arselickers can answer me to this question.

All i can read is "wasn't given money", "slash the wage bill", "no money" bla bla bla.

So is it time for Board to go? 

Board out then?

All i can read is "wasn't given money", "slash the wage bill", "no money" bla bla bla.

How do you get away with it?

Board out then?

What do you mean? They own the club...we can't just flick a switch for them to disappear you know?

I can hand on heart say, I would rather keep Clough than hire Steve Bruce. Even though Bruce would undoubtedly take us up the next three levels given the time Clough has had. (Play-offs, Promotion and survival in Prem).

Board out then?

No. The board are doing well too.

They are subsidising us to a level they feel confortable with and are providing stability. Clough is developing the club within that stable environment.

There's a few of you that want it all and you want it now - but it isn't going to happen that way. Cardiff took years to get there, but they're smiling now.

Board out then?

why does it have to be someone out? The board, like Nigel, aren't amazing but neither are they terrible. Why do I get the feeling that you'll never be satisfied until we're winning every game and the board are forking out millions each season.

why does it have to be someone out? The board, like Nigel, aren't amazing but neither are they terrible. Why do I get the feeling that you'll never be satisfied until we're winning every game and the board are forking out millions each season.

He wouldn't be satisfied then. The manager would be criticised for failing to tear out the opposing chairman's fingernails with red-hot pliers.

Archived