New Formation - Solving a few current problems

ChaddesdenRam

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What would solve everything, is if we didn't have a striker on the pitch that has 1 goal in 20+ games and replaced him with an actual goal scorer.

Sure... that would solve everything - champions league football here we come..  :rolleyes:

On the paper you're suggestion looks fine. But in reality, I would be horrified to see us defending counter-attacks or proper attacks down the wings... It would demand far better off the ball movement than we are able to do at the moment. We'll at least IMO.

5-3-2 or 3-5-2, whatever you like to call it, is as good style as any and it could help us solve some attacking problems we have (like not having wingers). But for me, biggest improvement we need is in defence and this tactic wouldn't help us, I'm afraid.

I dont actually think that system would suit Brayford, he is a good attacking right back but its very different as a wing back, Brayford likes to play one-twos with the wide man and overlap, thats very different from playing out there by yourself and having to actually beat people. People said the same about Ashley Cole but when he has played in 532 he looks lost.

For me we can all talk about systems all we want, and in the big games where there is such fine line a change of tactics can make the difference but for me its the best players, working hard, playing with confidence normally finish at the top.

On the paper you're suggestion looks fine. But in reality, I would be horrified to see us defending counter-attacks or proper attacks down the wings... It would demand far better off the ball movement than we are able to do at the moment. We'll at least IMO.

5-3-2 or 3-5-2, whatever you like to call it, is as good style as any and it could help us solve some attacking problems we have (like not having wingers). But for me, biggest improvement we need is in defence and this tactic wouldn't help us, I'm afraid.

Im not convinced that it wouldnt help us in defence. It can be 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 depending on how you set up and want to approach a game. Hull used it very well against us at home. They set up with 5 at the back knowing that we would have lots of possession and try and play a slick passing game. They denied us any width and kept us choked up in the 2 thirds furthest away from their goal (the majority of the time spent in possession of the ball) and picked us off on the break and at set pieces. It could work quite well for us away from home in particular.

Could, but Hull had pace to counter attack, we have a really slow team.

I agree with you that you need to be able to counter attack quickly to make it work but the pace of the attack doesnt necessarrily come from the raw pace of individual players. This of course helps but I think in Hulls case they played a game that revolved around quick passing and movement with an intent on getting the ball forward quickly. Every time they got the ball, Meyler and Brady were on their bikes. This season we have tended to pass out from the defence and retain possession building up an attack more slowly. I'm not sure that our players are individually slow, its more the system we play.

All that said, I quite like our current system and think it could get results with 2 or 3 additional better or more experienced players.

Could, but Hull had pace to counter attack, we have a really slow team.

Disagree with this. Hull had players spread out and in the right positions when moving and passing the ball. At Derby we trip over ourselves and many times you could drop a handkerchief from above and it'd land on 3 or 4 players

Archived