Reports, memories on past matches

EastKentRam

IMO, I don't seem to recall us ever being a elite attacking threat under Burley, nor do I remember us playing this glossy football that everyone talks about. What I remember was a very poor year, where we looked out of our depth and a year where we made the play-offs after hitting form after Christmas. 

Obviously I only saw about 50/60 games of the Burley days so perhaps I missed the really good hum dingers.

I cant really remember much from his first season so you might have a point in that regard, but I was at a number of games in his second season and to say we werent very attacking is just plain wrong.

Off the top of my head, winning away at Wigan when they were near the top? I was at the Brighton game where we went down to 10 men and still went on to win 3-2, Tudgay double I think it was, great game. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Away wins by more than one goal under Burley

Wimbledon 0-2 Derby (12 April 2003)

QPR 0-2 Derby (21 August 2004)

Cardiff 0-2 Derby (18 September 2004)

Burnley 0-2 Derby (22 October 2004)

Gillingham 0-2 Derby (14 November 2004)

Plymouth 0-2 Derby (18 December 2004)

In just over two years

Away wins by more than one goal under NC

Plymouth 0-3 Derby (7 February 2009)

Forest 1-3 Derby (21 February 2009)

Peterborough 0-3 Derby (16 January 2010)

Ipswich 0-2 Derby (9 November 2010)

Leeds 0-2 Derby (9 April 2012)

Bristol City 0-2 Derby (15 December 2012)

In four and a half years

You missed off beating Rotherham away 1-3 after going a goal down..

I was there, it could have been 8.

I also remember doing Wigan and WHU away in the same season.. Attacking them all game.

You missed off beating Rotherham away 1-3 after going a goal down..

I was there, it could have been 8.

I also remember doing Wigan and WHU away in the same season.. Attacking them all game.

Thanks added, remember watching the West Ham game on Sky and it was joy to watch.

Thanks added, remember watching the West Ham game on Sky and it was joy to watch.

Yes Rasiak scored a header from a beautiful cross from Richard Jackson of all people..

We would have beaten Crewe by 2 goals away that season too but they scored a jammy one in the last minute..

One game I remember vividly from that season was beating Plymouth at home 1-0.. Not only did Idiakez score the best freekick I've ever seen live at a stadium he also hit the woodwork twice..

That was another match we could have scored 5 in..

Oh, and beating Forest 3-0.. Ian Taylor ballooning a penalty over the bar

I cant really remember much from his first season so you might have a point in that regard, but I was at a number of games in his second season and to say we werent very attacking is just plain wrong.

Off the top of my head, winning away at Wigan when they were near the top? I was at the Brighton game where we went down to 10 men and still went on to win 3-2, Tudgay double I think it was, great game. 

I'm glad someone brought the Wigan game up, boxing day.. and was one of my favourite games, but we did pinch the win from under them, Ellington and Roberts could of had a brace each easily, and their goal was fantastic.. They were really fantastic to watch, and we managed to get the goals for the win and we travelled in great numbers as well 'jingle bells' was being sung for weeks after that, fantastic game... but we were dominated from start to finish.

I'm glad someone brought the Wigan game up, boxing day.. and was one of my favourite games, but we did pinch the win from under them, Ellington and Roberts could of had a brace each easily, and their goal was fantastic.. They were really fantastic to watch, and we managed to get the goals for the win and we travelled in great numbers as well 'jingle bells' was being sung for weeks after that, fantastic game... but we were dominated from start to finish.

Really? I didn't go so can't comment and from memory of the highlights I thought we were the better side..

Just from reading the report now it says we claimed a deserved 3 points but could have been 2-0 down as one of their players missed a sitter..

It says the scored on the counter, Derby were creating the better chances, it says the goal we scored should have come earlier and we went on to dominate the last 30mins scoring again..

At the end it says we had more possession, more corners etc..

Either the BBC report is extremely biased in our favour or we were indeed worthy of the 3 points.. Actually I think that report was from BBC Derby.. I just read Jewell's comments, he says they were too gung-ho and they could have been two or three up at halftime..Jewell, what a character

Rotherham 1-3 Derby

In-form Derby moved up to fourth with a comfortable win over Rotherham.

Rotherham stunned the visitors by taking the lead when Martin Butler scored from the spot after a handball.

Grzegorz Rasiak notched a deserved equaliser with an incisive finish before Marcus Tudgay headed Derby in front shortly after the restart.

County got a third goal when Inigo Idiakez smashed home a penalty on 77 minutes after Phil Gilchrist fouled Tom Huddlestone in the penalty area.

• Rotherham boss Alan Knill:
    "They're the best team in the league at the moment, you can see why they've won six away league games on the trot.

"We were beaten by a very, very good team, they have pace, athleticism and keep the ball well.

"But we have to keep going and pick up as many points as possible. It won't be easy, but we have to do it."

• Derby boss George Burley:
    "To win six away games on the trot is a phenomenal achievement, we've surprised a lot of people, including ourselves.

"We haven't got a big squad, but we have a quality squad and the spirit in the team is exceptional.

"It's never easy to play at Rotherham. We did not take our early chances but in the end it was fairly comfortable."

Ipswich 3-2 Derby

Ipswich came back from a goal down to beat promotion rivals Derby.

Marcus Tudgay headed home Morten Bisgaard's cross but Jim Magilton equalised with his first goal of the season after Darren Bent's lay-off.

Tommy Miller then set up Bent before scoring himself after a header from Shefki Kuqi, who had earlier hit the post, was cleared off the line.

Inigo Idiakez, completely unmarked, converted Tommy Smith's cross but Ipswich held on for the win.

• Ipswich boss Joe Royle:
    "We started so badly but by half time we could have been 6-4 ahead. We took over in the second half and should have scored four, five or six.

"Then, as usual, we conceded a late goal and as a result we survived a nervous final eight minutes.

"Overall we thoroughly deserved our victory. Some of our play was excellent and our passing was good."

"We made mistakes which meant we were going to be punished but we started brilliantly, scored a good goal and might have had two more.

"I can't explain the second we let in. It was incredible really. At the end of the day we gave away bad goals.

"But it was a cracking game which was a credit to the championship. There were loads of chances at both ends."

Derby 2-0 Leeds

Tommy Smith and Adam Bolder scored as Derby reached the Championship play-off places for the first time this season.

Inigo Idiakez hit the bar early on, but the Rams had to wait until 64 minutes to take the lead as Smith went round the Leeds defence before rifling home.

The victory was assured when substitute Bolder's 18-yard effort flew home after Neil Sullivan was wrong-footed by a deflection off Frazer Richardson.

David Healy wasted Leeds' best chance early on as he shot off-target.

• Derby manager George Burley:
    "The key thing is the lads have worked for each other all season.

"We kept a clean sheet tonight, and we didn't panic despite getting into so many good postions without managing to score in the first half.

"Tommy (Smith) is a quality player and a clever player, he sold about four dummies before he smacked it in the goal."

• Leeds boss Kevin Blackwell:
    "I think Derby are going to be dark horses for promotion this season because they've got experience in the right areas.

"I thought 2-0 was a little harsh as a scoreline, maybe 1-0 would have been about right because I think they just about shaded it overall.

"Ironically, we conceded during our best spell of the game when we were done by a goal we really should have prevented. And then we got mugged again for the second goal."

Good old Kevin Blackwell, coming out with absurd comments as per usual..

And one of my personal favourites..

Sheff Utd 0-1 Derby
_41040285_derby203
Michael Johnson (left) congratulates Morten Bisgaard

Morten Bisgaard scored the winner as Derby secured a valuable win over promotion rivals Sheffield United.

Derby looked dangerous on the break in the first half, Tommy Smith grazing a post and Inigo Idiakez going close.

After the break, United's Phil Jagielka and Alan Quinn nearly scored before Bisgaard clinched things on 74 minutes.

The Dane slotted home after Blades keeper Paddy Kenny had blocked Paul Peschisolido's shot, while United's Leigh Bromby headed over at the death.

• Sheffield United manager Neil Warnock on Adam Bolder's tackle on Blades captain Chris Morgan:
    "If I can see from 60 yards that is a broken-leg tackle, surely the referee can see.

"How he hasn't broken his leg I will never know and Bolder can do it again next week.

"That wants to be on the video for educating referees because that is the clearest, black and white professional tackle that you can see."

How bitter was Niel Warnock.. Although it was a horrific challenge, it couldn't have happened to a dirtier player in Morgan and infront of  dirtier manager in Warnock.. Hilarious.

I like reading these reports, happy memories, give us more! Find the Brighton away one where we won 3-2.

Adam Bolder is one of my favourite ever Derby players, which is unusual for a player who had such little ability on the ball.Still remember a game where we lost 2-0 away at Norwich, he done a Bergkamp esk flick (goal against Newcastle) around a defender to put him one on one with the keeper where he stuck it over the bar. Never forget that piece of skill, whether through luck or judgement it was brilliant and then the finish bought us all back to reality. 

Brighton 2-3 Derby

Marcus Tudgay scored twice as 10-man Derby claimed a thrilling victory.

Gregorz Rasiak released Morten Bisgaard to score his first goal for the club but Mark McCammon levelled soon after from Kerry Mayo's cross.

A David Yelldell error saw Tudgay make it 2-1 but Lee Camp's clearance came off McCammon to level matters again.

Ian Taylor was dismissed after a clash with Leon Knight, only for Tudgay to convert Jeff Kenna's cross and clinch a third straight win for the visitors.

• Brighton boss Mark McGhee on on-loan keeper David Yelldell:

"David will go back to Blackburn a better keeper. He may make some mistakes but we are grateful to have him here at this time," he said.

"At 2-2 the game was there for us to win. Even at 3-2 down we had chances to come back.

"I felt at half time we could have gone out and won the game."

• Derby boss George Burley

"The sending off was absurd. It was a very poor decision.

"It will be very difficult for us to finish in the top six.

"There's a lot of hard work ahead but in this game we showed plenty of spirit and also displayed the quality we have in the side."

Derby 2-0 Leeds

Tommy Smith and Adam Bolder scored as Derby reached the Championship play-off places for the first time this season.

Inigo Idiakez hit the bar early on, but the Rams had to wait until 64 minutes to take the lead as Smith went round the Leeds defence before rifling home.

The victory was assured when substitute Bolder's 18-yard effort flew home after Neil Sullivan was wrong-footed by a deflection off Frazer Richardson.

David Healy wasted Leeds' best chance early on as he shot off-target.

"The key thing is the lads have worked for each other all season.

"We kept a clean sheet tonight, and we didn't panic despite getting into so many good postions without managing to score in the first half.

"Tommy (Smith) is a quality player and a clever player, he sold about four dummies before he smacked it in the goal."

• Leeds boss Kevin Blackwell:

"I think Derby are going to be dark horses for promotion this season because they've got experience in the right areas.

"I thought 2-0 was a little harsh as a scoreline, maybe 1-0 would have been about right because I think they just about shaded it overall.

"Ironically, we conceded during our best spell of the game when we were done by a goal we really should have prevented. And then we got mugged again for the second goal."

Good old Kevin Blackwell, coming out with absurd comments as per usual..

And one of my personal favourites..

Sheff Utd 0-1 Derby

"http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41040000/jpg/_41040285_derby203" alt="_41040285_derby203">

Michael Johnson (left) congratulates Morten Bisgaard

Morten Bisgaard scored the winner as Derby secured a valuable win over promotion rivals Sheffield United.

Derby looked dangerous on the break in the first half, Tommy Smith grazing a post and Inigo Idiakez going close.

After the break, United's Phil Jagielka and Alan Quinn nearly scored before Bisgaard clinched things on 74 minutes.

The Dane slotted home after Blades keeper Paddy Kenny had blocked Paul Peschisolido's shot, while United's Leigh Bromby headed over at the death.

• Sheffield United manager Neil Warnock on Adam Bolder's tackle on Blades captain Chris Morgan:

"If I can see from 60 yards that is a broken-leg tackle, surely the referee can see.

"How he hasn't broken his leg I will never know and Bolder can do it again next week.

"That wants to be on the video for educating referees because that is the clearest, black and white professional tackle that you can see."

How bitter was Niel Warnock.. Although it was a horrific challenge, it couldn't have happened to a dirtier player in Morgan and infront of  dirtier manager in Warnock.. Hilarious.

It's Ian Taylor on the left. Good old BBC...

Derby County 3 - 0 Nottingham Forest

Derby claimed all three points in the East Midlands derby to keep Nottingham Forest in the relegation zone.

Tommy Smith opened the scoring by thumping home following a 10-pass move.

The Rams should have added to the tally 15 minutes later when Andy Impey handled in the box but Ian Taylor's penalty flew over the bar.

Forest were getting back into the game before Grzegorz Rasiak headed in a Smith cross and then tapped in from Morten Bisgaard's cross.

After the game Joe Kinnear, the Forest manager, once again refused to speak to the press.

Quotes from David Johnson:

"I think we all let ourselves and the fans down ... we were second best all over the pitch today and it's really dissappointing."

"It could have been five or six (goals), we didn't really cause them any problems, it's just a bad day."

Quotes from Colin Fray:

"Forest were battered at Pride Park."

"In the first half and, to be honest, in most of the second, Forest just looked a mess in the back four."

"Derby looked an absolute class apart ... I think Derby were easily three goals better than Forest."

The FA Cup games with Fulham,

Derby 1-1 Fulham

o
_40774041_derby203

Fulham substitute Collins John levelled within a minute of being brought on to deny Derby in a tense FA Cup clash.

The Rams had taken the lead through another substitute, Marcus Tudgay, who swept in Tommy Smith's left-wing cross from close range on 56 minutes.

Fulham initially struggled to respond but 50 seconds after replacing Tomasz Radzinski, John latched on to Mark Pembridge's long ball and fired home.

Derby continued to press but Fulham held on to take the tie to a replay.

Chris Coleman's side have not lost in any competition since 28 December but they were without key trio Papa Bouba Diop, Zesh Rehman and Carlos Bocanegra at Pride Park.

The Premiership side made a cagey start to the game, but slowly imposed themselves on the match.

Derby winger Marco Reich was the only man to really trouble the visitors' defence in the first half, but neither Smith or Grzegorz Rasiak could get on the end of his deliveries from the left-flank.

o

Fulham's first real chance came on 25 minutes when Lee Clark and Radzinski linked up to send Sylvain Legwinski clear, but his shot flew high and wide.

Andy Cole also should have done better with a free header from a Radzinski cross, failing to connect properly when in yards of space.

The Rams were being outplayed in the closing stages of the first half but they came out strongly after the break.

First Inigo Idiakez whipped in a teasing cross which just evaded Rasiak at the far post, then Tudgay headed over from Smith's centre.

A goal by the home side looked likely and it arrived on 56 minutes.

Smith and Rasiak linked up well on the right and from Smith's cross Tudgay - who had replaced the injured Reich at half-time - finished expertly from close range.

Fulham continued to look vulnerable and Smith went close again with a rasping drive from outside the box on 62 minutes. But the game turned on Coleman's decision to replace Radzinski with John with 20 minutes left.

The decision paid instant dividends as Pembridge's long ball over the top missed Andrew Cole but fell for John who smashed home from close range.

Derby almost went back in front immediately - only the outstretched leg of Van der Dar stopping Tudgay from making it 2-1.

The Cottagers still had some defending to be done, but Derby could not find a way through in the closing stages and the two sides will meet again next month.

"It was a cracking game in the second half - both sides wanted to win it but I am a little disappointed not to be through.

"All credit to Fulham, they fought back well to equalise.

"But we kept going and almost got a winner. I couldn't have asked any more of my players."

• Fulham boss Chris Coleman:
    "I'm delighted. Derby are a very good team and in good form. They played with a lot of confidence.

"The pitch wasn't great so it was very difficult for us to play our normal football but we battled away.

"We have got them back to Craven Cottage and hopefully we can finish them off there."

Fulham 4-2 Derby (aet)

o
_40680937_boamorte203

Extra-time goals from Collins John and Claus Jensen booked Fulham an FA Cup fifth round tie against Bolton.

Gregorz Rasiak gave Derby an early lead with a close-range strike in an opening half which was dominated by the Rams.

Fulham levelled when Papa Bouba Diop netted from the spot after Michael Johnson handled and Luis Boa Morte's right-foot shot made it 2-1.

Paul Peschisolido bundled in Derby's second but John's strike and Jensen's tidy finish won it in extra-time.

It was, perhaps, a cruel end for Derby, who were forced to play the last 22 minutes with 10 men having lost Johnson to injury after using all their substitutes.

Particularly as it was Fulham who had been caught short as the Rams made a flying start to the match.

Derby broke quickly and Rasiak got in at the near post to meet Tommy Smith's cross to give the visitors the lead.

However, the Championship side were not prepared to rest on their laurels and continued to press. Within the first 20 minutes Rasiak saw his header hit the post and Morten Bisgaard's long range strike was saved.

Such was Derby's dominance in the opening half-an-hour that Fulham failed to muster an effort on goal.

But the Rams' slender lead was cancelled out on the stroke of half-time when Fulham were awarded a penalty.

o

Johnson, while attempting to make a sliding tackle, handled and Diop coolly stroked the spot-kick into the top right-hand corner.

Fulham, boosted by their late leveller, began the second period a different team and were positive and were rewarded when Boa Morte gave them the advantage with a well taken right-footed shot.

Boa Morte, buoyed by his first goal, had the appetite for the fight and almost added a second with a powerful header which was well saved by Lee Camp.

Lee Clark, who was anonymous early on, was pulling the strings in midfield.

Derby kept going and continued to pose an attacking threat particularly when Bisgaard's shot was repelled by Van der Saar.

Their enterprise bore fruit when substitute Peschisolido capitalised on indecisiveness in Fulham's defence to poke in from inside the box to set up extra-time.

Another substitute John made his mark when he swivelled in the area and drilled his left-footed shot past Camp.

The Premiership side increased the tempo and substitute Jensen broke clear of a tiring defence to slot home.

Derby 3-1 Preston
o
_41122337_idiakez203
1st leg: 15 May (1200 BST)
Preston v Derby
2nd leg: 19 May (1945 BST)
Derby v Preston

Goals from Inigo Idiakez, Tommy Smith and Paul Peschisolido helped Derby seal a play-off place and leap-frog above North End into fourth spot.

Idiakez gave the Rams the lead with a quick free-kick and Smith made it 2-0 after good work from Jeff Kenna.

Patrick Agyemang's close range finish gave Preston hope with 21 minutes left.

But Peschisolido's last-gasp goal sealed Derby's win, and the clubs will meet again at Deepdale next week in the first leg of their play-off semi-final.

Derby had needed a point to be sure of a place in the top six but ended up taking all three.

They did so without leading scorer Grzegorz Rasiak who had undergone groin surgery, and Rams boss George Burley made four changes from the side thumped 6-2 by Coventry last week.

Tom Huddlestone, Richard Jackson, Marco Reich and Peschisolido came in for Mo Konjic, Chris Makin, Ian Taylor and Marcus Tudgay.

A swirling wind meant neither side could settle in the early stages but there were still chances at both ends.

Morten Bisgaard fired over the crossbar for Derby before Preston captain Graham Alexander's shot was comfortably saved by home goalkeeper Lee Camp.

Smith hit the post for Derby just before the interval and there was still time for Idiakez to give the Rams the lead before the half-time whistle was blown.

In stoppage time, Smith was brought down by Dickson Etuhu 25 yards from goal and from the free-kick, Idiakez cleverly struck early to send a right-footed shot low to the left of a stationary Carlo Nash.

The Rams extended their lead in the early stages of the second half after a surging run down the right flank by Kenna.

He found Peschisolido who set up Smith at the far post to finish a flowing move.

Preston did not lie down and kept coming forward themselves.

They pulled one goal back on 69 minutes when Agyemang was on hand to bundle the ball over the line after Camp had clawed away a Claude Davis header.

But their hopes of a comeback were virtually ended with 10 minutes left when Alexander had to limp off injured with all three substitutes used.

Peschisolido was then spectacularly denied by a superb Nash save before sealing Derby's win in the final minute.

He latched on to a long ball by Richard Jackson and nutmegged the keeper to make it 3-1.

The Rams will now have home advantage in the second-leg of their play-off semi-final.

"These players have surprised me, they've proved me wrong.

"I said at the start of the season we couldn't finish in the play-offs but the players have showed great consistency, great quality, plenty of discipline and also played the game in a great style.

"It's no secret we haven't got the biggest squad in the world but look at Leicester, who are basically a Premiership set-up, and look how far down the table they've finished this season.

• Preston manager Billy Davies:

"I'm disappointed by the result but we went to Derby with a gameplan and that was to make sure everyone was prepared for the next two play-off games.

"We rested one or two people and also gave games to people who needed it - like big Patrick Agyemang up front - so we chopped and changed a little bit.

"But the most important thing was that we came through in good shape for the next two games."

Archived