Reports, memories on past matches

EastKentRam

Sunderland 0-0 Derby

Sunderland maintained their unbeaten home record but were given a stern test by Derby County.

Black Cats keeper Mart Poom denied Grzegorz Rasiak, former Sunderland striker Tommy Smith and Adam Bolder as the Rams edged the first half.

The home side improved after the break and Stephen Elliott and Julio Arca both shot over the bar from good positions.

Derby keeper Lee Camp also impressed in denying a Dean Whitehead free-kick and a Chris Brown header late on.

• Sunderland boss Mick McCarthy:

"Derby sat in and invited us to press them and we did not have enough quality or a bit of luck to get a goal.

"Derby forced five or six corners early on and that gave them a considerable lift but I have to look at the overall picture and we have taken 13 points from our last six games.

"People have to remember Derby are a similar club to us. They are not easy fodder and we can't just be expected to win.

"We saw it last year when teams were difficult to play against here but we have a few players carrying injuries so perhaps the break has come at the right time."

• Derby boss George Burley:

"Mart Poom made three great saves and one world-class save. But Sunderland is not an easy place to come and keep a clean sheet and come away with a point.

"In the first half I felt we were running the game, we had a lot of possession, but in the second half we did not do that.

"On another day we might have had the three points but we are showing we are a difficult side to beat.

"We have drawn against Wigan, West Ham and Sunderland in the last week. It's been a challenge, we have stood up to it and I'm very pleased."

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember the Fulham games..

We battered them at their ground in the first half and we could have been out of sight

That first half performance was unreal, great game of football.

To go to a Premier League side and boss them on their own pitch, wouldnt happen with the current lot if we tried a million times. 

Derby 1-0 Plymouth

Derby strengthened their promotion hopes further with a fortunate victory over Plymouth at Pride Park.

Inigo Idiakez put the hosts ahead in the 24th minute with a superb long-range free-kick.

But Argyle midfielder Paul Wotton missed a penalty and Dexter Blackstock hit the woodwork after the break.

Goalkeeper Lee Camp helped the Rams extend their unbeaten run to eight games by producing second-half saves to deny David Morris and Tony Capaldi.

• Derby boss George Burley:
    "There were periods when I felt we played well and in the first 25 minutes we produced some exceptional stuff and Plymouth hardly got a touch.

"It was a magnificent free-kick that won us the game but then we dipped and Plymouth came back into it.

"I thought we looked a bit leggy and I can't remember when he have had to hang on at the end."

• Plymouth boss Bobby Williamson:
    "We gave it our best shot but we just couldn't put the ball in the net and that was the only disappointing thing.

"We were pleased with our performance but not with the result.

"We got done by a set-piece in the first half and we go away unhappy, but it was a good match, especially in the second half when it was end to end."

Derby: Camp, Kenna, Konjic, Huddlestone, Makin, Bisgaard (Taylor 77), Bolder, Idiakez, Smith, Rasiak, Tudgay (Peschisolido 64).

Subs Not Used: Grant, Mills, Reich.

Goals: Idiakez 24.

Plymouth: McCormick, Connolly, Coughlan, Aljofree, Gilbert, Norris, Wotton, Adams (Buzsaky 62), Capaldi (Evans 80), Chadwick, Blackstock.

Subs Not Used: Gudjonsson, Doumbe, Taylor.

Booked: Wotton.

Att: 27,581

Ref: C Oliver (Northumberland).

I notice how our attendances started off around 23k and then look what happened when we had good winning football.. The fans started coming back in their droves..

That first half performance was unreal, great game of football.

To go to a Premier League side and boss them on their own pitch, wouldnt happen with the current lot if we tried a million times. 

During the whole season, especially away from home and up against whatever team, it was the last time I actually felt proud watching Derby give it a really good go and play teams off the park..

I don't belive people can use money as an excuse.. Look at that Fulham team!

They had Van Der Saar in goal, Diop, Clark, Legwinski, Boa Morte, Cole.. They were a solid PL outfit.

Derby 3-3 Wolves
_40884075_derbywolves.203
Ki hyeon Seol goes past Derby's Adam Bolder and Jeff Kenna

Marco Reich struck deep into injury-time to ensure Derby shared the points in a thriller at Pride Park.

Carl Cort appeared to have won it with a drilled finish seconds earlier but Reich headed in from close range.

Inigo Idiakez's 25-yard free-kick put Derby 1-0 up before Kenny Miller nodded Wolves level from a Rob Edwards cross.

Joleon Lescott edged the visitors ahead with a powerful header but the Rams drew level through an Idiakez spot-kick which had be to taken three times.

• Derby manager George Burley:
    "We got a point with one of our poorer displays of late, I know we can play better than that.

"You can talk about the decisions all day, their third goal looked way offside, but again we showed a lot of character and got a point out of it.

"Overall though I thought we were poor, especially defensively, and if we'd have played anywhere near where we can we would have got the three points."

• Wolves manager Glenn Hoddle:
    "I think I must have run over six black cats since I've been at Wolves.

"I didn't think it was a penalty in the first place - that's my opinion but that doesn't matter much, then the farcical stuff started.

"I believe the first retake was for encroachment and then Michael Oakes made a magnificent save but the ref gave another retake - and it was inevitable that they would score.

"In my opinion it was poor decisions and they've gone against us."

Derby: Camp, Kenna, Mills, Huddlestone, Makin, Smith (Reich 86), Bolder, Idiakez, Junior (Peschisolido 45), Rasiak, Tudgay (Taylor 45).
    Subs Not Used: Grant, Konjic.

Goals: Idiakez 9, 77 pen, Reich 90.

Wolverhampton: Oakes, Edwards, Lescott, Craddock, Naylor, Seol, Olofinjana, Ince, Kennedy, Miller, Cort.
    Subs Not Used: Jones, Andrews, Cooper, Clarke, Bjorklund.

Booked: Lescott, Oakes.

Goals: Miller 12, Lescott 72, Cort 90.

Att: 24,109

Ref: I Williamson (Berkshire).

How good was that Wolves team for NPC standard?.. They had a good 6 players there that were PL standard..

I seem to have completely taken over this thread and I appologise.. Maybe we could make a thread designed from memories and write-ups of past games..

The craziest game in my memory, remember listening to it on Radio 5 and my mum shouting "miss" just before Burley's third pen (not even a football fan, just winding my dad up). 1999/2000 was the start of the decline.
_721985_derby300

Strupar steps up to score the second of the match

Strupar steps up to score the second of the match
Bradford 4-4 Derby

Bradford City went into this match knowing only a victory would keep their Premiership survival hopes alive.

Jim Smith's men, although not in such dire straits, were aware a win would take the immediate pressure off them in the battle to avoid relegation.

Seven goals in the opening 44 minutes, the first two from Derby, and a first-half hat-trick for Bradford's Dean Windass set the tone for an action-packed, incident-laden match.

But heartbreak for Bradford came when Derby scored the only goal of the second-half - which gave them a share of the points and may have consigned Bradford to the First Division next season.

Match facts
23 secs - Delap opens the scoring
6 mins - Strupar makes it two for Derby
11 mins - Windass scores Bradford's first
18 mins - Windass levels the score
27 mins - Beagrie penalty puts Bradford ahead
36 mins - Burley penalty brings Derby back in it
44 mins - Windass completes his hat-trick
52 mins - Burley penalty gives Derby parity

Paul Jewell's men suffered a hammer blow when a lively Derby side scored from the kick-off with just 23 seconds on the watch.

Powell took the ball down the left, his shot rebounded off the Bradford keeper and was squared by Malcolm Christie for Rory Delap to score.

Within six minutes the Bantams found themselves two-nil down after Branko Strupar scored from a free kick on the edge of the area.

Bradford could have been forgiven for allowing their heads to drop, but in the manner which has characterised their commitment to the Premiership this season, they refused to accept defeat so easily.

Their confidence was rewarded when Dean Windass brought his side back in it on 11 minutes after neatly bringing the ball down before squeezing a super half-volley between Derby keeper Mart Poom and his left-hand post.

And on 18 minutes a defensive error from Elliott allowed Dean Windass to strike a thunderbolt of a shot from 35 yards out which skidded along the ground and raced into the back of the net leaving Poom stunned.

Dean Windass
Bradford's Dean Windass scored a first-half hat-trick
The match descended into controversy just before the half-hour when referee Alan Wilkie blew for a foul seconds before Bradford put the ball in the back of the Derby net for the third time with a beautifully-worked free kick.

After consulting his linesman, Wilkie stuck by his original decision to send Delap off for a foul and award a penalty to Bradford - which to the satisfaction of the crowd was converted by Peter Beagrie.

Despite being reduced to ten men, Derby continued to threaten and Christie felt hard done by when he failed to get any reward after claiming he was tripped in the area.

It mattered little however - he was hacked down in the box by Ashley Westwood on 36 minutes and Craig Burley scored confidently from the spot.

As the number of goals suggested, both defences were lacking considerably in cohesiveness making the match something of a free-for-all.

After Christie had gone down for the third time, his luck ran out and he was shown the yellow card for his exertions.

Less frantic

Both teams may have been looking forward to half-time and the chance to catch their breath, but before they could make their way down the tunnel, Dean Windass completed his hat-trick with another great goal.

The second-half started at a less frantic pace but Alan Wilkie was again forced to act when Dreyer handled in the area and Craig Burley stepped up to score his second penalty of the match on 52 minutes.

After Derby introduced Georgi Kinkladze, Bradford matched their attacking intentions and swapped defender Westwood, for former Derby striker Dean Saunders.

But, the accuracy evident in the first-half was absent in the second and despite chances at either end, Derby were only given the chance to break the deadlock when Wilkie awarded his third penalty of the match after Powell appeared to have been brought down in the box.

Craig Burley however, was unable to make it a spot-kick hat-trick and justice may have been done.

Teams

Bradford: Clarke, McCall, Wetherall, Westwood, Blake, Beagrie, O'Brien, Windass, Halle, Dreyer, Jacobs. Subs: Todd, Sharpe, Rankin, Saunders, Davison.

Derby: Poom, Carbonari, Powell, Dorigo, Johnson, Delap, Christie, Laursen, Elliott, Burley, Strupar. Subs: Oakes, Schnoor, Jackson, Kinkladze, Riggott.

Referee: A Wilkie (Chester le Street)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sport/football/fa_carling_premiership/721985.stm

Brighton 2-3 Derby

Marcus Tudgay scored twice as 10-man Derby claimed a thrilling victory.

Gregorz Rasiak released Morten Bisgaard to score his first goal for the club but Mark McCammon levelled soon after from Kerry Mayo's cross.

A David Yelldell error saw Tudgay make it 2-1 but Lee Camp's clearance came off McCammon to level matters again.

Ian Taylor was dismissed after a clash with Leon Knight, only for Tudgay to convert Jeff Kenna's cross and clinch a third straight win for the visitors.

• Brighton boss Mark McGhee on on-loan keeper David Yelldell:

"David will go back to Blackburn a better keeper. He may make some mistakes but we are grateful to have him here at this time," he said.

"At 2-2 the game was there for us to win. Even at 3-2 down we had chances to come back.

"I felt at half time we could have gone out and won the game."

• Derby boss George Burley

"The sending off was absurd. It was a very poor decision.

"It will be very difficult for us to finish in the top six.

"There's a lot of hard work ahead but in this game we showed plenty of spirit and also displayed the quality we have in the side."

Was it when we played at theirs training ground and wearing training kits?

"http://s45.radikal.ru/i109/1304/4a/76c42851b362" alt="76c42851b362">

P.S. some very good memories in this topic. Best thread for the last 4 or so years.  

Archived