13.5k Season Tickets sold for next season

North_Stand_Ram

The jump was from May when the north of 16k figure was given - in my quote above - and a later article (i'm guessing because of new buyers after the article. but yep it did surprise us at the time.

The SS seats were almost sold out and I estimate thats about 2k seats. 1000 non renewals from other parts of the ground may not be enough to mean the club has lost revenue.

Don't forget that its not just seats that have gone up, but fans that would have been OAP's and now aren't, free tickets bcoming paid for tickets, juniors becoming young adults and young adults becoming adults will all bring in extra poundage if they renew.

Edit - Obviously I mean revenue comapred to this time last year not overall revenue

The cynic/hopeful in me thinks they may well know something we don't and they have read the disgruntlement of fans correctly and know that strengthening is the only real way of selling season tickets to a certain section of current season ticket holders. Knowing this then there are some possible scenarios that may play out

1) they are planning to strengthen significantly - which will attract some to pay the higher post early bird prices and boost revenue.

2) they are planning to strengthen but it will not attract season ticket purchases - but may attract more walk up sales if the team does perform better - boosting over all ticket revenue.

3) Fans will be happy to purchase game by game - which costs the fans more money than buying a season ticket depending which games and where they sit.

4) None of the above they are just maximising the revenue they can achieve without funding any squad strengthening.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty certain the jump to 17k was given as early birds-not even you could come up with an explanation.If things were as you say,both of us would have worked it out.

I'm a bit confused on all of this-doesn't that 16k relate to 11/12 sales,rather than last season-Glick was talking in May 11.

yep my bad - i thought last season was the one with the money back guarantee? I'll check for some other articles

What about inflation year on year.   The pound in your pocket and all that stuff.

Inflation still applies to revenue streams at football clubs .   ie It costs more to switch the floodlights on and under soil heating etc etc .     PS Player wages increase year on year still dont they.

We can only hope DCFC have good accountants.

Not sure what accountants could do about it.

Not sure about the cunning plan of being blase about early renewals because surprise strengthening would swell the numbers of those having lost early bird discount.They seem to be going to a lot of effort in trying to bag the early birds.

Not sure about the cunning plan of being blase about early renewals because surprise strengthening would swell the numbers of those having lost early bird discount.They seem to be going to a lot of effort in trying to bag the early birds.

Not as much as previous years - a few Q&A sessions in a sponsors pub is the only difference I can see this year to last year.

The cynic/hopeful in me thinks they may well know something we don't and they have read the disgruntlement of fans correctly and know that strengthening is the only real way of selling season tickets to a certain section of current season ticket holders. Knowing this then there are some possible scenarios that may play out

1) they are planning to strengthen significantly - which will attract some to pay the higher post early bird prices and boost revenue.

2) they are planning to strengthen but it will not attract season ticket purchases - but may attract more walk up sales if the team does perform better - boosting over all ticket revenue.

3) Fans will be happy to purchase game by game - which costs the fans more money than buying a season ticket depending which games and where they sit.

4) None of the above they are just maximising the revenue they can achieve without funding any squad strengthening.

I would have thought that seasons ticket sales are the bread and butter of any football club, money in the bank, I can't believe that a cautious bunch like GSE would gamble on walk up ticket sales making up the deficit over season ticket sales personally as their strategy so far has been low-risk modest investment on players whom potentially would have a resale value after their contracts have expired.

Surely DCFC would have informed  their accountants about the cheap seat option and what effect it would have on  predicted season ticket revenue streams.

I can assure you that in this computerised age they would have run several models,but you can run all of the models you like and still find out that there's nowt so queer as folks.Who knows,Albert might even have run them some graphs :p

I would have thought that seasons ticket sales are the bread and butter of any football club, money in the bank, I can't believe that a cautious bunch like GSE would gamble on walk up ticket sales making up the deficit over season ticket sales personally as their strategy so far has been low-risk modest investment on players whom potentially would have a resale value after their contracts have expired.

What else could they do to boost season ticket sales - come out and say yep we are spending big this summer? had countless talk about why they wouldn't/shouldn't do that.

7 years of maintaining ST renewal prices while most clubs in the division have increased them has led to the situation now where our Ticket revenue is the lowest in the division despite having one of the largest average attendances. As fans we welcomed the price freezes - yet maybe that policy being in place rather than a policy of little increases each season now means we have to see massive increases in certain sections of the fan base to try and make up for lost ground against competitor.

Not as much as previous years - a few Q&A sessions in a sponsors pub is the only difference I can see this year to last year.

Not as much as previous years? We've had invited groups,a RD phone in and the pub road show (not forgetting DNA)-are you saying we did more than this previously?

Not as much as previous years? We've had invited groups,a RD phone in and the pub road show (not forgetting DNA)-are you saying we did more than this previously?

I'm sure there has been phone ins before near ST renewal time, and there was a Q&A with Glick last year I think. DNA, Derby Now and Ever, Black And White, every year there has been a name given to the season ticket campaign.

EDIT: There was a fans forum last May under the "fans first" banner

What else could they do to boost season ticket sales - come out and say yep we are spending big this summer? had countless talk about why they wouldn't/shouldn't do that.

7 years of maintaining ST renewal prices while most clubs in the division have increased them has led to the situation now where our Ticket revenue is the lowest in the division despite having one of the largest average attendances. As fans we welcomed the price freezes - yet maybe that policy being in place rather than a policy of little increases each season now means we have to see massive increases in certain sections of the fan base to try and make up for lost ground against competitor.

Agreed, it seems there is little room for maneuver now with the season ticket prices, I agree that there is no silver bullet which does worry me if we are losing 7 million pounds a year at the moment and our revenue streams will potentially lessen then this annual loss can only go one way.

This is where it's probably all gone wrong.Fans just can't take a big rise in one go,particularly in these economically challenged times.I think it's been a big own goal.

Going back to that early bird figure having previously mysteriously risen by 1k,and taking note of what someone else on another forum said about having his arm twisted (or rather a discount) previously to get him to renew,you have to start wondering if they start ringing around after the deadline offering discounts and retention of early bird.However,it has to be said that there's no way of knowing if the poster was telling the truth.As I've said before,I know for a fact that discounts have in the past been offered to lapsed 'Player' subscribers.

Agreed, it seems there is little room for maneuver now with the season ticket prices, I agree that there is no silver bullet which does worry me if we are losing 7 million pounds a year at the moment and our revenue streams will potentially lessen then this annual loss can only go one way.

I'm more concerned how much the ST will go up by  if we ever get promoted - Hope they ahve an early bird price - coupled with loyalty bonus for sticking with them through the *****.

One thing I do reckon will happen is if they sell us the following season prices will go up - and we will be told that it is required to make us competitive and it is due to mismanagement by previous owners. (the reason they went up after the LOG took us over)

This is where it's probably all gone wrong.Fans just can't take a big rise in one go,particularly in these economically challenged times.I think it's been a big own goal.

Going back to that early bird figure having previously mysteriously risen by 1k,and taking note of what someone else on another forum said about having his arm twisted (or rather a discount) previously to get him to renew,you have to start wondering if they start ringing around after the deadline offering discounts and retention of early bird.However,it has to be said that there's no way of knowing if the poster was telling the truth.As I've said before,I know for a fact that discounts have in the past been offered to lapsed 'Player' subscribers.

that could explain it.

Or the wage budget will march in step?

I think the Groupon stuff really p*ssed people off - another reason. Why pay for the ST when you can hang about for Groupons. 

Also, the football has stagnated. Signings like Coutts don't really inspire people to renew.

I'm more concerned how much the ST will go up by  if we ever get promoted - Hope they ahve an early bird price - coupled with loyalty bonus for sticking with them through the *****.

One thing I do reckon will happen is if they sell us the following season prices will go up - and we will be told that it is required to make us competitive and it is due to mismanagement by previous owners. (the reason they went up after the LOG took us over)

Have to say Davenport the thought of us getting promoted hasn't even registered on my radar, pessimist that I am. The only hope I have is that GSE finally wake up and smell the coffee that they can't run our football club with the same rules as a standard business model for a "normal" business and bail out. 

that could explain it.

If that were to be the case,I'm not sure how those who renewed at full whack would feel about it.Still,it's only the evidence of 1 guy,so has to be treated with a pinch of salt-and in fairness it does go on in other industries.

Archived