UEFA's new racism punishments

DCFCfranco

UEFA has proposed tough sanctions to tackle racism in football, including a minimum 10-match ban for players or officials found guilty of abuse.

General secretary Gianni Infantino outlined UEFA's plans at the SoccerEx conference in Manchester.

Infantino revealed UEFA wants the first sanction for a racist offence by supporters to be the partial closure of the stadium where the offence took place.

A second offence would then lead to a full closure of the stadium and a minimum fine of 50,000 euros (around £42,756).

The proposed sanctions would affect all matches in European competition.

Infantino said: "What we are proposing is that if a player or an official commits a racist offence then he has to be suspended for 10 matches - at least - or a corresponding period.

"If supporters of a club are found guilty of racist abuse then the first sanction will not be a fine any more. The first sanction will be a partial closure of the stadium.

"The part of the stadium where the racist abuse has taken place will be closed.

"At the second offence there will be a full closure of the stadium and a fine of a minimum 50,000 euros

"In addition to all of this we will encourage our referees through a three step process to stop games, to interrupt games and even abandon games."

The debate on racism has intensified in recent months after AC Milan midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng led his team off the pitch after being abused during a friendly match against Pro Patria in January.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why should a whole set of fans be punished for the actions of an idiotic minority? And why is the action only applicable to racist abuse? What makes racist abuse any worse than the other foul mouth bile spewed at players/officials on a weekly basis?

Because it is the only thing they can do....and its the only way they can be "seen" to be doing something...they are just hoping that because of this it will become slightly self polilced....but it wont of course.

I think it should be backed up by deducting points from the team, or goals if in knockout tie. What 'supporter' would risk racist chants if they knew it would hurt their team ?

I'd agree with this - monetary fines in the grand scheme of things aren't nearly enough. A points hit will be more effective. It might send an even harsher message to both fans and players.

Sadly, it seems what's needed.

I'd agree with this - monetary fines in the grand scheme of things aren't nearly enough. A points hit will be more effective. It might send an even harsher message to both fans and players.

Sadly, it seems what's needed.

Or maybe they should leave it to the police to sort out, after all it is nothing to do with the football team and 'has no place in football' as we are so often told.

Or maybe they should leave it to the police to sort out, after all it is nothing to do with the football team and 'has no place in football' as we are so often told.

My point was it becomes the football teams business when it's one of thier own players doing it, as we've heard in the news recently, that's why I described the whole sorry situation as sad.

My point was it becomes the football teams business when it's one of thier own players doing it, as we've heard in the news recently, that's why I described the whole sorry situation as sad.

But you shouldn't fine a team or deduct points for something that is completely out of their control.

How do they stop someone from shouting racist abuse? You can't. You can kick them out afterwards but you can't stop it happening in the first place.

What is to stop me going to sit in the Trent End hurling racist abuse at a player and getting the red dogs deducted points?

If a customer in a shop racially abuses another customer should the shop be shut down?

Having read back I think I have missed the the point of the whole thread...sorry!

No worries, I don't always put my point across as well as I'd like to :-)

Archived