adkins

DCFCfranco

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish that when people attempt to make him look like the managerial solution to all of our problems they would look at the finances and side that he had available to him and actually analysed how well he did based on that.

No doubt he did well, but he didn't just drag a nothing side out of League One and then the Championship with nothing to work with, he had a solid squad already, a wage budget that I suspect was higher than ours when they were in League One.

He took over when Pardew was already doing well, he had the money from the Ox's sale and not to mention all the money spent on that side when they were in that league anyway (£1m on lambert, how many League One sides can spend £1m, and then continue spending?).

I like him and he's a decent manager, but it aggravates me people seem to ignore the benefits he had in that job in comparison with others. I'd say Nigel Pearson and Paul Lambert had tougher jobs on their hands than he did.

Nigel pearson has had a small fortune to spend?

Indeed, but not initially during his first appointment there. I should've specified, I was referring to when they first went up. They had some decent players when they went down for sure, but he turned that whole thing around pretty quickly.

Indeed, but not initially during his first appointment there. I should've specified, I was referring to when they first went up. They had some decent players when they went down for sure, but he turned that whole thing around pretty quickly.

Yes, but you can't disregard what has happened since.

Agreed..

Clough is a better manager than Adkins

I'd probably put Clough in the top 3 in the NPC.. Along with Billy Davies and Darren Ferguson

I think he is a decent manager, and likeable at that), but as rides to the top go, he had one of the easier ones (if not an easy one in general).

He walked into a side already with most of its Championship squad there, including Lallana/Lambert/Fonte/Davis etc. He did well, but it's not quite as an amazing turn of events as some fans credit him with. He did well, but he had a very strong foundation and the finances to get where he needed to.

I hear alot of "Get Adkins in, atleast he knows what he's doing." It would have been difficult to have done poorly with that side considering it was already on the right track when they bizarrely sacked Pardew as they were beginning to click (as they ironically did to Adkins in similiar style),

And my favourite 3 managers at this level would be Zola (for the style he tries to implement), Holloway (for the all-out attack, despite the defensive lapses) and Mick McCarthy (I can't help but like him, he builds solid sides, if not exciting ones). Though they're just personal preferences.

Archived