Inside Death Row With Trevor McDonald

EastKentRam

First of the two part series was on last week, being replayed now on ITV1+1 with the second part on tomorrow night.

Anyone watch it?

Very interesting watch, but some of the sentences over in the states seem extremely harsh. The bloke who ran the barber shop had been in there about 35 years for armed robbery and kidnapp, bit over the top surely?

The bloke Roland Sanford who committed double homicide when he was just 13 is really thought provoking. You cant help but feel sorry for him, seems a really intelligent bloke full of remorse.

He's on a 170 year sentence and is never gunna get out. They dont go into too much detail about his crime and he could be an absolute physcopath for all i know, but his sentence seems harsh for crimes committed as a 13 year old. Then again, if it was my family members he had murdered i may feel differently.

Worth a watch on itv player if you havent seen it, looking forward to the next one tomorrow.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Part of me does think f*ck em, but deep down I know that's bullsh*t.

You ever been in a fight PR? Or had a mate who's thrown a punch in a fight? Catch someone in the wrong place and they fall at the wrong angle and you've killed someone. I suppose you would deserve to die if it's an eye for an eye?

You cant tarnish all people who commit murder with the same brush, they should be judged on their character, if that's the right word. I do think, 'what if they'd killed my friend or family member' but then in the same instance i think 'what if a friend or family member of mine committed a horendous crime for what ever reason, i wouldnt want them killed.

Even the non death row inmates were on such extreme sentences, overly harsh.

I know what you mean EKR, I found this which is exactly what you're talking about...

[url=http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10007309.Teens__squared_up__before_fatal_punch/]http://www.theargus....re_fatal_punch/

The main bit -

At this point the defendant punched Connor, the court heard.

[size=4]He said: “Connor fell straight to the floor and hit his head. This is what has been upsetting me. His legs buckled.[/size]

[size=4]“He fell and hit his head on the pavement. His eyes closed.”[/size]

The lad that hit him was 14!

Towards the end when Trev asked him if he'd regret anything before his execution and he said something along the lines of "I'd regret the way it happend, I nearly got away but when they surrounded me I didn't have a gun so I had to give up"

F*ck off and sit on the chair, just like Dale Creegan in this country should.

I know what you mean EKR, I found this which is exactly what you're talking about...

[url=http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10007309.Teens__squared_up__before_fatal_punch/]http://www.theargus....re_fatal_punch/

The main bit -

At this point the defendant punched Connor, the court heard.

He said: “Connor fell straight to the floor and hit his head. This is what has been upsetting me. His legs buckled.

“He fell and hit his head on the pavement. His eyes closed.”

The lad that hit him was 14!

Exactly, does this lad even deserve jail time, let alone according to you, death. He threw a punch where the victim was being equally confrontational.

Fights like this occur every day all over the country, this lad just got unlucky.

If he's a normal, law abiding lad with a conscious i feel just as sorry for him as the victims family and friends. He's got to live the rest of his life knowing he killed someone, would be unbearable, all over a stupid argument.

First of the two part series was on last week, being replayed now on ITV1+1 with the second part on tomorrow night.

Anyone watch it?

Very interesting watch, but some of the sentences over in the states seem extremely harsh. The bloke who ran the barber shop had been in there about 35 years for armed robbery and kidnapp, bit over the top surely?

The bloke Roland Sanford who committed double homicide when he was just 13 is really thought provoking. You cant help but feel sorry for him, seems a really intelligent bloke full of remorse.

He's on a 170 year sentence and is never gunna get out. They dont go into too much detail about his crime and he could be an absolute physcopath for all i know, but his sentence seems harsh for crimes committed as a 13 year old. Then again, if it was my family members he had murdered i may feel differently.

Worth a watch on itv player if you havent seen it, looking forward to the next one tomorrow.

I often wonder how the judge sits there and manages to come up with such a ridiculous sentence, as though it matters!

Would be much easier to say you have the chance to spend the rest of your life behind bars or you can go on death row.

I can't believe that the 60something bloke wanted a transfer off death row into the 'normal' cells to serve a 60something year sentence!

Really enjoyed watching the programme and will be watching tonight.

He doesn't because I agree with this...

[size=4]

[/size]

[size=4]You cant tarnish all people who commit murder with the same brush, they should be judged on their character, if that's the right word.[/size]

And like you say, any one of my teenage to late 20s haymakers could have resulted in me being in exactly the same situation.

It's like here when you hear about people in prison appealing and so on, they get assessed and if they are stil a risk to people then it gets thrown out. What about convicted murderers and sex offenders that have been released from prison but re offend?

Just watched the 1st part. I thought it was fascinating, eye opening, thought provoking and terrifying all at once.

The guy who ran the barbers. He got 3 life senteces + 10 years for burglary & kidnap? The thing that struck me was how normal he sounded, how matter of fact, how intent he is on one day getting out. You'd never really think he was in prison, he just seemed an ok sensible guy.

Then there was the other black guy who'd gone in when he was 15. He seemed really grounded, sensible, into his philosophy and the meaning of life and has his own way of dealing with his circumstances. It kind of reminded me of what Stallone said in Lock Up - "your body has to be here but your mind doesn't have to be". Sorry if I'm waffling, I thought it was very interesting to see now how they feel about their lives and what they do to escape their cells.

Overall though, does this change my mind about the death penalty? Should it be gotten rid of all together? Should it stay? When you look at some crimes and how bad they were, it's easy to think yes, but then others just don't seem as bad to deserve it. I'm not sure either way anymore.

Part 2 tonight, 9 0'clock ITV.

Just watched it. That man at the end was despicable. He murdered a random young woman and her 4 year old daughter by cutting their throats. I hope he gets a battering off the other inmates every day for the remainder of his life.

Just watched it. That man at the end was despicable. He murdered a random young woman and her 4 year old daughter by cutting their throats. I hope he gets a battering off the other inmates every day for the remainder of his life.

Wow, I've just finished watching it.

So this guy's high, goes into someones house pretending he's lost (if nobody's in, he says he was going to break in anyway)

4 year old girl answers the door

he goes in with the intention of raping the woman in the house

he doesn't

then he thinks he's going to go to prison anyway

so he cuts both their throats, so nobody would know he was there, and you can tell from the interview he knew exactly what he was doing. In his own words "that little girl died in the most horrendous way possible".

Does he deserve to die for this?

People can't be blamed for wanting him off the earth surely?

Wow, I've just finished watching it.

So this guy's high, goes into someones house pretending he's lost (if nobody's in, he says he was going to break in anyway)

4 year old girl answers the door

he goes in with the intention of raping the woman in the house

he doesn't

then he thinks he's going to go to prison anyway

so he cuts both their throats, so nobody would know he was there, and you can tell from the interview he knew exactly what he was doing. In his own words "that little girl died in the most horrendous way possible".

Does he deserve to die for this?

People can't be blamed for wanting him off the earth surely?

Killing him would be doing him a favour. He isn't human! He can't be! Leave him caged forever.

Makes you shudder when you hear people like that speak. When you can see their faces etc. I prefer it when they're just still photos and names in a paper!

If it's true, I felt for the guy who was told his family would be killed if he didn't stab two people (this was the guy with the sensational moustache and slickback hair in the communal block).

I did to a point, but the thought of going to the police for help never crossed his mind? Bloody hell.

Archived