Should Our Police Be Armed?

MrsRam

If you are suggesting that it is possible to stop criminals in this country from obtaining weapons I think you are living in a dream world.

I must be living in a dream world as that is exactly what should be done! But obviously someone in a high place must be making some coin out of guns being brought into this country or it wouldn't happen.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree but surely that is a completely different argument? Do you think it is fair that police have to risk their lives every time they attend to a call?

Its not fair at all but I'm not sure that would change if they were armed. Some (including senior officers and rank and file serving police) believe it may well increase the risk.

I must be living in a dream world as that is exactly what should be done! But obviously someone in a high place must be making some coin out of guns being brought into this country or it wouldn't happen.

As said in a later post, if we can't stop people coming into this country illegally by the thousands what chance do we have of stopping weapons?

Its not fair at all but I'm not sure that would change if they were armed. Some (including senior officers and rank and file serving police) believe it may well increase the risk.

I do understand the logic in this argument but I think criminals who want to use guns would be armed regardless of whether police are or not.

Do you think the death penalty would be another alternative?

So he's lured them in deliberatley, shot them, thrown a grenade and then walked into a police station and handed himself in? Why kill them first for gods sake?

Sadly, no-one will ever know if having a gun would have helped them, maybe they could have took him down first? Can't help thinking that police should have more than spray and a batton? Who's going to come off the worst when it's batton v gun?

Parts of Manchester are the pits, nobody is safe - and the crims up there I'm sure don't give a stuff about the police, they will have their weapons of choice, regardless of whether or not the police are armed.

I do understand the logic in this argument but I think criminals who want to use guns would be armed regardless of whether police are or not.

Do you think the death penalty would be another alternative?

I do think that no guns should be allowed in the country and don't think police should be armed, I do completely agree on bringing the death penalty for certain crime.

The federation carried out a survey about 4 years ago, if I remember rightly half of the bobbies said that their life had been placed in danger in the last 12 months but 80% still voted against rolling out a side arm to all Officers.

Like Utch said, it's Mr Big that needs to be dodging lead from armed Police, let the front line carry on sorting out the rest of the ***** that happens everyday in England and Wales.

Exactly! I always here from people not from the U.S. about our gun control problems. The problems in America are quite unique from that of the rest of the world. We are very adamant about our right to bear arms dating from colonial times, Minutemen and all that. You couldn't enforce serious gun control regulation that you could actually enforce even if you did pass it. Not to mention the inability to properly police our Southern border and prevent gunrunning from Mexico into America and vice versa.

Kansas...how are the gun laws there differing state to state and are there major differences in gun crime in less tolerant areas of USA?

Archived