Bennet playing at Burton

davenportram

....for England

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Derby-County-striker-Mason-handed-chance-shine/story-16781266-detail/story.html

DERBY County's young striker Mason Bennett will hope to impress England manager Roy Hodgson tonight.

Sixteen-year-old Bennett is in the England Under-17 squad to face Italy at Burton Albion's Pirelli Stadium (7pm) – and Hodgson will be at the game.

The clash is part of the St George's International Tournament in which England will also play Turkey and Portugal.

Bennett, Derby's youngest-ever player, has already made an impact for England at under-16 level and is part of the Rams' first-team squad.

He played nine games last season and has appeared twice as a substitute this season but he is not available for Saturday's Championship clash with Watford because he is on international duty.

Bennett describes training with Derby's first team on a regular basis as an "amazing experience".

He added: "It's been going great. I've had a good pre-season.

"I played four or five games and scored my first senior goal, so it couldn't have gone any better.

"I hope to continue to train with the first team. I'm still young and learning all the time, so I will have to be patient to get my opportunity.

"It is also a honour to be involved with England.

"The group of players at this level is very talented and the tournament will be a step up from the Victory Shield in terms of the teams being more technical.

"I'm sure the boys will up their games and produce some good performances over the three games."

Hodgson is looking forward to watching the under-17s who are managed by former Academy director at Derby, John Peacock, and Kenny Swain.

"Over the years, this friendly tournament has been a good breeding ground for England players, with the likes of Theo Walcott, James Milner and Jack Butland all featuring at this level," said Hodgson.

"It's a great chance for the people of Burton to come out and support the youngsters and watch some international football on their doorstep."

Burton chairman Ben Robinson is delighted Hodgson will be at the Pirelli tonight.

"It will be an honour to welcome Roy Hodgson and it is terrific for the town of Burton upon Trent to be hosting the young international side," said Robinson.

England's other matches in the tournament see them meet Turkey at Northampton Town's Sixfields Stadium on Friday (7pm) and Portugal at Burton on Sunday (2pm).

Tickets for both games at the Pirelli are available to purchase in advance, priced £3 for adults and £1 concessions. Tickets will also be available on the day for both matches at the same price.

England Under-17s are the first England team to stay and train at St George's Park in Burton and Bennett is impressed with the facilities.

"They are incredible, the hotel is amazing and the pitch we've been training on is in perfect condition for us. I believe it's a replica of Wembley," he said.

For £4 might take the lad to watch.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched the highlights and must say everything Mason did he did well.

He scored the first, made the second, put another one on a plate when we were 3-2 down.

MAYBE should have gone for goal in the last minute when he was clean through but even then he's squared it and should expect someone to be there.

Well Done young Mason.

Archived