Obi Mikel on AVB

PBW Ram

[url=http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/7753257/Mikel-AVB-failed-to-communicate]http://www1.skysport...-to-communicate

I'ver watched Obi Mikel really closely over the last few Chelsea games, it started off when I saw him hide from the ball 3 times in 5 minutes, I started thinking actually what does this fella do for 90 minutes.

I saw him hide, and I saw him go in half hearted for his challenges, that's when he was actually close enough to have to make an effort.

I'm not tactically advanced enouhg to know if he hasnt been told to just sit in the space mopping things up.. but even if that's his remit, he neve gets near anyone.

Today I read this article about why AVB didnt make it at Chelsea.

This part for me is criminal.

'Should I train well, because I don't know if I'm going to be playing at the weekend?'

Now if that is what goes through his head when he's liklely paid upwards of 50 grand a week, if they weren't trying for the manager during the week then for sure they weren't trying for him on the saturday. he now calls his new boss Robbie...Robbie ffs, where has the respect gone?

As for AVB - I was never convinced he was the right guy, but one thing is for sure, he likely came off the pitch sweating a bit more, having ran about on the touchline a bit more than Obi Mikel has for 90 minutes in the last few games.

Obi Mikel does not deserve to be taking 3 million quid a year out of our game.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tottally agree. What a n()b.

I don't think AVB is a bad manager though. It's just a 33 year old was never going to command the respect of all those egoes...especially when some of them were older than him.

Until AVB reaches his latter 30s at least he'll only really make his mark on clubs like Porto, where I really think he should have stayed.

Reminded me a lot of Clough at Leeds, AVB recognised that the older players, the Lampards, Terry, Drogba's of the world were getting old, and would need replacing, so wanted to bring some younger players in. These players didn't like it, and got the man sacked. I think in time AVB will prove to be a great manager, he's won a lot in a small amount of time, and has 30+ years of management left in him. I would of given him 2 or 3 years at Chelsea, they may have had to taken a step back to go forward, similar to what Derby had to do, but I think they would of been in a better situation then they are now.

Reminded me a lot of Clough at Leeds, AVB recognised that the older players, the Lampards, Terry, Drogba's of the world were getting old, and would need replacing, so wanted to bring some younger players in. These players didn't like it, and got the man sacked. I think in time AVB will prove to be a great manager, he's won a lot in a small amount of time, and has 30+ years of management left in him. I would of given him 2 or 3 years at Chelsea, they may have had to taken a step back to go forward, similar to what Derby had to do, but I think they would of been in a better situation then they are now.

Some good points.

Also didn't think it helped that the new players coming in were very different to the present ones, so they had two groups of players pulling in different directions. Juan Mata and David Luiz are very much AVB players but they were still playing with Mourinho-style players built to that system like Lampard and Drogba. There wasn't just a clash of egoes, it was a clash of playing styles.

When Chelsea scored at Wolves it was very telling. The players that went to celebrate the goal with the manager were David Luiz, Ramires and Meireles. His own signings.

Some good points.

Also didn't think it helped that the new players coming in were very different to the present ones, so they had two groups of players pulling in different directions. Juan Mata and David Luiz are very much AVB players but they were still playing with Mourinho-style players built to that system like Lampard and Drogba. There wasn't just a clash of egoes, it was a clash of playing styles.

When Chelsea scored at Wolves it was very telling. The players that went to celebrate the goal with the manager were David Luiz, Ramires and Meireles. His own signings.

Completely agree, that's why I would have given him 2 or 3 years to build his team, buying AVB out of his contract at Porto and his paying off at sacking him, cost £30 million. Absolute madness, can understand how Abramovic has lost £1 billion since his takeover.

AVB is a fantastic manager, done fantastically well over in Portugal but it was always going to take time to adapt to the english game, and get across his method and build towards a new chelsea.

He wasn't given any of that, and I didn't expect he would be. I still think he is an exciting young manager that has an unbelieavble future in the game, would excel in the italian leagues IMO.

Archived