We are now accepting mediocrity

rammieib

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't argue with a lot there. The reason I'm not for change at the moment is that I believe that the "deal" that' was done with Clough was set out to cover a very long period. That's much too long for most fans and I can appreciate all the frustrations.

I believe he's made some strange decisions. I think he's under significant pressure at times and like anyone under pressure, often picks the wrong option. That said, overall, I think he's done a fairly good job against a background of financial restraint and a difficult working environment.

If I thought we were about to sell the Club to new owners who were going to throw money at it, then I doubt I'd be looking for NC to stay in charge. But who is looking to buy us and spend that money? If I thought there were excellent options such as the managers you mention, who were prepared to come to Derby under the existing circumstances, then it may be the right time to change things. But who are they?

I'd hate to see Clough kicked out and replaced by the likes of Megson, McCarthy, Davies, Bruce [the list goes on]. There's no chance of that anyway because I'm sure they wouldn't come for what we're offering, both in terms of salary and resources to work with.

So, until or unless something significant changes, I'm going with the present set up. I'll enjoy the good days and try to park the bad ones. I think we have some of the best young players we've had at Derby for many years. Can they push us on? I really hope so because there won't be many big money signings at most Championship Clubs and there are never any guarantees anyway . Leicester [and even West Ham to some extent] show that it's not easy to buy your way out.

Fair points, and I do agree with your point about who would come to us however, I'm more about trying to find the next one. Yes we gave it a go with Clough, but he hasn't done it, so would the 'next one' give us a better shout? I don't know but I'd like to know.

If you asked me who I'd prefer to go first, then that would be GSE. Clough could be different with a little bit of investment. i think some of the players he is linked with (Billy Sharp for example) who would cost some investment could be quite good. So he does have some nous in him about players, but we're stuck to hunting the Scottish leagues for players who have a 50/50 chance of success in the Championship.

Oh well, game time, will try and raise a smile!

Wait. Identifying Billy Sharp isn't exactly showing an eye for a good player. It's like saying Mancini has an eye for a good player because he signed Nasri (comparatively speaking). Everyone knew about Sharp. Nigel could have turned around and said "I want Lambert and Nolan" and us all going 'ooo look what he could do with money'.

He doesn't HAVE to shop in Scotland. He chooses too as he feels you get hard working honest players for your money. Could easily look elsewhere as well.

Wait. Identifying Billy Sharp isn't exactly showing an eye for a good player. It's like saying Mancini has an eye for a good player because he signed Nasri (comparatively speaking). Everyone knew about Sharp. Nigel could have turned around and said "I want Lambert and Nolan" and us all going 'ooo look what he could do with money'.

He doesn't HAVE to shop in Scotland. He chooses too as he feels you get hard working honest players for your money. Could easily look elsewhere as well.

Burton! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

I'm still saying Clough out after last nights performance. One scrappy 1-0 win over the enemy does not make up for 3 years of no progress. Glad we won though.

In does in my eyes, at least until the next game, why not just sit back and enjoy the win, bait some red dogs instead of fellow fans for a few days and leave this for another day :-)

I'm still saying Clough out after last nights performance. One scrappy 1-0 win over the enemy does not make up for 3 years of no progress. Glad we won though.

I'm sure you'll keep saying it until you get your way. I'll keep flying the "Clough in" banner until then. Hope you have to wait at least another 3 years. That will mean we're doing well. Perhaps you'll come over to the other side if that happens 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I'm just happy we beat the scum. Beating them twice = a great season for me

This is my problem with our fans. More important is to move up the league, potentially challenge for play-offs than making sure we beat Forest twice. So would it still be a great season if we went down or finished in the bottom six but beat Forest twice?

Ridiculous. Wool over eyes again!

This is my problem with our fans. More important is to move up the league, potentially challenge for play-offs than making sure we beat Forest twice. So would it still be a great season if we went down or finished in the bottom six but beat Forest twice?

Ridiculous. Wool over eyes again!

What a load of BS.

Archived