Character

sage

We still lack the quality in 2-3 areas for us to make real progress, but I'm impressed with the character shown this season, something very evident tonight.

There's been times when I've been frustrated by our poor passing and control and times when we haven't created much, but I've never at any point thought we weren't trying or working hard enough.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barnsley away first half?

I was there and it was dreadful, but they were disorganised and very very poor technically rather than not trying, but they really got back in the game and with semi sensible ref would have got a draw.

Yeah, I'd agree, Rams sides of recent years have been characterised by mental weakness. Any side that goes up have players with belief and mental toughness. Remembering back to the early 90s when we had assembled a squad at great expense we had plenty of technically gifted players but ultimately lacked the togetherness and character to get out the league. The play-off final defeat to Leicester a case in point.

Clough seems to place great value on getting in players with character and mental strength. More so than other abilities. As I was saying on another thread though, with any successful side that must be tempered with 2-3 players of real ability. I think we really lack a leader in CM (like a Van der laan) and also a strong CF like a Steve Howard/Rasiak.

That's what frustrates me, you only get so far on character and hard work. Ward and S.Davies show ability but for me aren't stand out (in fairness to Davies if it wasn't for injuries and bad luck he would be a 3-4 million pound player).

Archived