John Brayford

Chris Peduck

NIGEL Clough sees John Brayford as a part of Derby County's long-term future and the defender is not a player the club are looking to sell.

Clough was responding to speculation that West Bromwich Albion are planning a £3m bid for the 23-year-old when the transfer window opens in January.

"Are they? Is that all, £3m? said Clough.

Brayford signed a new three-year deal with the Rams this summer and his contract runs to 2014.

"When you get players like John who come into the Championship for the first time, people watch them for a season and wonder 'can they do it again, was it a fluke?'," said Clough.

"I think the way John has started in the first six games suggests he can do it again."

Clough signed Brayford from Crewe Alexandra just over a year ago.

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/story-13333766-detail/story.html

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Responding to the speculation, Clough said: "Are they? Is that all, £3million? We are looking to build with young players throughout the squad and John is part of that.

[url=http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/15092011/63/brayford-nowhere-clough.html]http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/15092011/63/brayford-nowhere-clough.html

This just seems like a story thats dragging for no reason...

• 9 months later...

Apparently he is one of 5 players who wanted to leave this summer. Shackell Savies Bailey mentioned as 3 of the 5. Losing him would make matters worse. Expect a late sale on Transfer deadline day.

Really? Sure I can remember Bailey saying he wanted to stay, and also I can't remember Shackell being delighted about leaving Derby either...

He is not as good a Shackell, his form has dipped, he does not maraud down the right wing beating the opposing fullback and crossing the ball like he did in his first full season.

He will go if anyone offers a million and maybe even less, that will be a profit will it not ?

The poster on derby mad claimed a fall out with clough, youv got to bear in mind that it was Nigel who has basically forged brayfords whole career, hearing from people who know John he's a very down to earth guy do surely would be very grateful for all Nigel has done for john I remember watching him at none league burton

I reckon 60 pages later when he has gone for an undisclosed fee (reported in press at 700k but some posters still believe it to be 7M) It will be down to his bad attitude in training, the amount of clubs he had, he controls the ball with the outside if his foot and he is ginger :-)

Apparently he is one of 5 players who wanted to leave this summer. Shackell Savies Bailey mentioned as 3 of the 5. Losing him would make matters worse. Expect a late sale on Transfer deadline day.

We rejected bids from Aston Villa and Stoke.Im sure if he wanted to leave he definately would have forced especially with his feelings for Stoke.

Bids were rejected from Norwich for Hendrick.

Only 3 Players had Bids for them that were not transfer listed Shackell,Hendrick and Brayford.One had to be sold you decide.?

Archived