The difference today: A Quality Striker

tomsdubs

I thought Wallace gave us lots of problems again yesterday as he always does, he is an annoying git but a very good champ player and I think we need someone like him who can make things happen more than another forward.

yes.....

The thing that really worries me is that players seem very reluctant to take on opposition players. Since Commons left no one seems to commit defenders,

agreed... thats why i bang on about cywka

Other than Ward, he's the only one we've got like that.

Alot of our midfield players are very similar.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yes.....

agreed... thats why i bang on about cywka

Other than Ward, he's the only one we've got like that.

Alot of our midfield players are very similar.

Cywka, and Maguire, both look 'creative', and are fringe players, so maybe NC thinks we need a different type of player for most games... :confused:

There is no standout team in the NPC, we're all as bad as each other.. good intentions, yet devoid of any real quality.. There isn't a single team in this league that would stay up in the PL.

While I agree with most of what you said Vegas, I do think that West Ham are a class above anything in this league. Granted, they lost their first game but they have a great squad and would have not been relegated had they had a competent manager in charge.

I've always said they will absolutely walk this league and nothing I have seen so far has changed my mind.

Clough is simply trying to get a hard working side. If he has that then he knows we have half a chance. Their is usually one side that gets promotion based on a really solid work ethic and Stoke City have proven that teams can become established in the top tier with that commitment.

With regard to the title of this thread, we are missing a quality striker but we are also missing quality throughout the entire side particularly in the four or five midfield positions and left back.

The team suddely looked a lot better when Croft and Robinson were on in it. Would be a mistake to leave bothe of them out against Coventry.

Lee Croft looks 10 times the player of any previous season.

I would also bench O'Brien should the opportunity arise. I don't know if he is either getting cocky or tired or nervous, butgot al little accident prone. Of copurse I will be shouted down for this because as he is a Derby youth player people will assume he is TEH BEST POTENTIAL PLAYER WE EVER HAD like they always do with every youth player.

We improved second half because they were scared of Robinsons pace so they dropped deeper to prevent him running in behind, as a result our midfielders had more room to play and create. First half they new that Steve Davies wasn't going to run in behind so they could defend a high line and reduce the space in midfield. Also with Davies being up against 2 centre halves all the time he never had a chance of holding the ball up..... and to be fair the service to him was *****?!

Agree we need a creative midfielder, think Maguire could do this and I'm a bit surprised he hasn't been used more, granted we've been winning so perhaps if it hadn't been broken why try to fix it?!

We improved second half because they were scared of Robinsons pace so they dropped deeper to prevent him running in behind, as a result our midfielders had more room to play and create. First half they new that Steve Davies wasn't going to run in behind so they could defend a high line and reduce the space in midfield. Also with Davies being up against 2 centre halves all the time he never had a chance of holding the ball up..... and to be fair the service to him was *****?!

Agree we need a creative midfielder, think Maguire could do this and I'm a bit surprised he hasn't been used more, granted we've been winning so perhaps if it hadn't been broken why try to fix it?!

Good post mate.

Ward and maguire and cywka on form I think would be enough.

If Danny Graham can score 20 in this league then so can Steve Davies IMO. Just depends on team performance and service. Davies hasn't had any easy chances so far. Yet has 3 goals in 5 games.

I think weve looked short of players that can beat defenders, but ward, maguire and cywka can bring that. So far though it's been hard to change such an organised winning team. If a problem presents itself I think Nigel has the options to call on.

If players and manager make the right decisions I think we'll win more than we lose. But with a young team we'll see some poor decisions at times. I just hope Nigel can guide them well and limit the errors. But in terms of ability I think we can have a decent season without adding more bodies. We have options and some quality. But along with perhaps more than half the division that can claim the same.

I've said on another thread that who would you take out to put Maguire in?

From the second half team I wouldn't drop any of them to put him in.

Croft is playing v well, key in the goal

Bryson, busy again played well so far and set up the goal

B Davies - playing well. Created the clearance of the line from a free kick. Had one cleared off the line ( or was it his that was well saved by their Goalie. Created 4 and scored 1 of our 10 goals.

Could have brought him on instead of Croft, but Croft is playing well and probably showing more in training than Maguire hence getting the nod ahead of him.

Unless you want to play a 4-4-2, 4-1-4-1, or 4-1-3-2 and drop one of Bailey and Hendrick where does he go?

Don't forget we did create 21 chances on Saturday, so midfield must have been doing something right.

I wouldn't necessarily have played Maguire from the start but feel he could have been brought off the bench a bit more/earlier. B Davies, Croft and Bryson are good workers and can play but I think Maguire can probably see a pass better around the box and his touch looks quite good, probably the nearest we have to Commons?! (who I notice hasn't started that many games for Celtic this season?!)

Clough needs to be more positive in the home games, or we won't win too many more matches at home. One striker and what amounted to 7 defenders first-half is ridiculously cautious. I didn't like the lets stay unbeaten call in the press Friday as it gave the impression that a draw was good enough against a side likely to be in the bottom half of the league this season. At least try to go for the win in the majority of home games, if you are cautious against West Ham or Leicester or Southampton that can be accepted but not Burnley who vwere very inexperienced at the back.

I've said on another thread that who would you take out to put in maguire

Personally I'd of had cywka on the bench and I'd of brought him on for injured ward. But then croft was excellent when he came on.

Maguire I'd of brought on for b Davies who I thought was average in open play. Love his set pieces.

I just thought on Saturday we were doing what we did in the other games that we won. The only mistake we made was the same sort of problem we have had in both our other home games. Slow starts, waiting for the other team to settle and then responding to them. And certain players using s Davies as a target man.

I still think burnley were cheats and we deserved a point. We scored twice too. It went over the line IMO.

Still want cywka involved. Don't know about anyone else but I think some of his running into dead ends in an acceptable part of his game. Its just what you get from skilled dribblers. Maybe not away from home so much though. Would prefer croft

Personally I'd of had cywka on the bench and I'd of brought him on for injured ward. But then croft was excellent when he came on.

Maguire I'd of brought on for b Davies who I thought was average in open play. Love his set pieces.

I just thought on Saturday we were doing what we did in the other games that we won. The only mistake we made was the same sort of problem we have had in both our other home games. Slow starts, waiting for the other team to settle and then responding to them. And certain players using s Davies as a target man.

I still think burnley were cheats and we deserved a point. We scored twice too. It went over the line IMO.

Still want cywka involved. Don't know about anyone else but I think some of his running into dead ends in an acceptable part of his game. Its just what you get from skilled dribblers. Maybe not away from home so much though. Would prefer croft

Can see what you mean, Croft and Cywka are both able to put the odd decent corner and free kick into the box as well.

Archived