Non-Derby County games thread

ANGERMAN1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you only got 2 leagues over there? 19 teams?

Quite surprised. S'pose it's growing all the time, no?

Sporting KC top of the league I see. RE the sporting part, does Kansas have a Spanish history? Not good on American history, but my friend is studying his masters degree in American history. Might surprise him with my knowledge....sort of.

Does Thierry Henry seem to be enjoying his football over there? He was back at Arsenal for a few games and seemed to really enjoy himself, for obvious resaons. Can see him making a permanent return in the next few months.

Have you only got 2 leagues over there? 19 teams?

Quite surprised. S'pose it's growing all the time, no?

Sporting KC top of the league I see. RE the sporting part, does Kansas have a Spanish history? Not good on American history, but my friend is studying his masters degree in American history. Might surprise him with my knowledge....sort of.

Does Thierry Henry seem to be enjoying his football over there? He was back at Arsenal for a few games and seemed to really enjoy himself, for obvious resaons. Can see him making a permanent return in the next few months.

Actually we have the one main league, 2 conferences within it. Set up in an American fashion with playoffs that lead to the league title rather than the overall winner by season total points. We do have our own sort of pyramid if you will but there's no promotion/relegation within it like over there. Smaller pro teams have to build and purchase their way to the next level, and you have to bid usually for years to try and get a spot into the main league which are slow to come. Right now they're discussing where to put the next club infact. "Soccer" is not strong enough over in the states yet to support promotion/relegation competition I don't think which is a real pity but just not a club culture in America for it yet. Sporting got a real nice new stadium though last year and the atmosphere has exploded. And Portland averaged 38,000 fans a game last year so there's some real hope for the future. They operate it in an American fashion obviously though and our pro leagues were built drastically different.

Well you can count Spanish culture if you count the first Europeans to explore Kansas were Spanish or Latino immigrants from south of the border that are numerous here. But no, the "Sporting" part is a generic sort of brand changing move they made a couple years ago. We were the Kansas City Wizards but they wanted more of a European like club name for it. Part of a whole MLS type deal to rebrand it from distinctly American names and style to match the rest of the world. Sickly corporate of them IMO, I liked the ol' Wizards name. We beat Man U once, even drew Newcastle last year in a friendly but yeah those were like their reserve teams as I understand it so doesn't even count.

Thierry Henry as good as he is, is kind've an annoyance to American fans in the same way Beckham(which is actually probably a product of America's ignorance to the game once) is. Older, once elite world famous players coming over to give the game some attention is fine but the designated player rule some say stymies development of homegrown talent. I think though that Henry has developed a sort of appreciation and respect for it from some of the comments he's made. He admitted that New York Redbulls(his team here) is way behind LA or Real Salt Lake(no Utah doesn't have a spanish influence either but they are a sister club to Real Madrid now) who are probably the class of the league.

Sorry for the way too lengthy reply, I'm just a bit excited over that 3-0 victory. We actually almost look like we could compete legitimately with a League 1 or 2 team over there. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' />

Funnily enough, without the owner of Kansas City's NFL team; the MLS and the KC Wizards would have probably collapsed financially in the late 90's if it wasn't for his commitment and vision for it. He owned half the league or near enough at one point and he was the one who wanted to establish it in KC.

Archived