FOA TV Techies/Know-alls

Ram@Lincoln

What is the difference between LED and LCD?

But not in techy terms, in like picture quality etc. So would a LCD TV with similar features be around £100? This lark of buying a TV is hard!!!

LEDs give you better contrast levels.

That in itself is good, but probably not a deal maker/breaker, however, the other plus side to LEDs is that they're much thinner than regular LCDs and they have better power consumption.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update wise - I had decided that today after work I'd buy the Ebuyer TV. Popped into Tesco's on the way home and saw a lovely Technika TV on display, £120 22" LED etc. This one: http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.211-5398.aspx

So now I'm back to square one, which do I buy, the ebuyer one for £130 with a 3 year warranty or the Technika one for £10 less but what I guess would be a standard 1 year warranty.

Has anybody got a Technika TV, are they any good?

Daveo, the Amazon TV you suggested was ruled out down to price. £20 could pay the internet/phone bill for a month or £30 could pay for 2 months. Or the missus could put it towards the new hair-dryer that's apparently the best in the world etc etc only £210....:rolleyes: :eek:

Technika is Tesco's home-branded electricals.

I haven't owned a Technika TV personally, but I've seen them in-store and have had a few other Technika devices over the years. Usually tend to be cheaply built with a short to medium term lifespan.

Personally, as far as TVs go, I wouldn't touch a Technika with a bargepole.

Your best bet, if you're struggling, if you have a Richer Sounds store near to you, pop in and have a chat with them. They're usually very good, and price-wise I find, are rarely beaten.

Thanks for that. Using Richer Sounds store locator, my nearest store is in Nottingham. As my username suggests I live in Lincoln. Obviously, it is possible to get there, but a touch too far distance wise when I compare prices for a similar model/brand as they are around the £150/160 mark. Thanks for all your help guys/gals, I'll let you know my thought when my new AOC TV is all set up and running.

I was going to post a load of technobabble about the options you were looking at but, since it looks like you've already ordered the AOC, I won't bother. All TV's at that price point are a compromise and it's difficult to say that any one is better than another. I'm sure that you and your new screen will spend many happy hours together.... :)

You can post "a load of technobabble" if you wish. I could go out and spend £200 quite easily on a TV, but A) I don't need a super dooper model as I won't know how to work it. B) If it isn't super dooper it'll be bigger screen size which I don't need C) it'll be too big for word processing on etc etc. As I said I'll report back with my findings, hopefully it will be a good buy.

If anyone is in the Lincoln area and wants to pop round and view some [sIZE=1]adult[/sIZE] channels, don't be shy! :D

also lidl have some 22" led full hd tv's in for £99.99 special offer

Thanks Dan, I'll go down to my local Lidl and see if they have any. Brand wise I'm not fussed, as long as it works and has a decent life to it. Like I said before I have already ordered but I can always send it back if Lidl has any in stock and they are decent. Thanks once more. :) My delivery should be here tomorrow if it isn't here later today so I'll get back to you when it arrives with a little review.

That's all I want. A basic TV that can be used for a variety of things. Anyway, if it could do double back-flips I probably wouldn't be able to find the button to tell it to do them! :D

Like I said I'll go down to my local Lidl and see if they have any in stock. Thanks for the heads up. :)

• 2 weeks later...

For those wondering where the review is, it's not here as I haven't got the TV yet.

Through emails sent between myself and Ebuyer they have come to the conclusion that when I ordered the TV was out of stock but the website hadn't refreshed the stock levels. So I've had to wait an extra week, that might bother some people but I have a screen that works perfectly (big crt one) so another week doesn't hurt.

I went for the 24" in the end as the price was reduced to £129.99 when I ordered, the 22" was £134.99. Scandalous!

Archived