If you're good enough you're old enough...

dabber

Thinking about our reported requirement for experience I am reminded of that old phrase if you're good enough you're old enough. How many of are youngsters are considered ready even with limited experience cos they are good enough?

Looking at the ages that the squad will be this season, we are certainly on the young side but I would prefer that to an aging overpaid bunch any day..

GKs: Fielding (23), Legzdins (25)

RBs: Brayford (24), Croft (26)

LB's: Roberts (33), Kilbane (34)

CBs: Shackell (28), Barker (29), Riggott (30?), Anderson (33), O'Brien (19?), Buxton (26)

DM: Bailey (23), Hendrick (19), Green (28), Bryson (25), (Addison (22))

AM: Ward (25), McGuire (22), Davies.B (30), Doyle (20), Cywka (23), Pearson (29)

CF: Davies.S (24), Tyson (29), Ball (19), Robinson (22)

To me I think we are pretty well there as it stands (and that I think is 27 players). With the emergence of Croft (still only 26) as cover for Brayford and the signing of Kilbane we are OK at full back (if a little too experienced at left back!). Bailey and or Bryson and Hendrick can cover DM with Green perhaps returning in 2012. A plethora of attacking options with hopefully enough finishers to trouble the scorers. Looking forward to the season...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not worried about the youth thing either- an old head in midfield maybe but they are going to be on big wages and probably fees. If you can get a young, hungry (and cheap) player they will probably do just as well if you get the right one. Also has the added bonus of not needing to replace them so often as they won't be retiring or "losing their legs" every 2nd season.

Archived