New World Champion in ice hockey - Finland

Cisse

Finland won World Championship final against Sweden 6 - 1. Since ice hockey is the most popular team sport in Finland this is a big deal here. Just came home from the city center and it is fantastic. Thousands of people with flags singing and dancing. And this is going on pretty much in every city.

I just hope I could live these kinds of feelings even once after Derby win something big. Would be awesome.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finland won World Championship final against Sweden 6 - 1. Since ice hockey is the most popular team sport in Finland this is a big deal here. Just came home from the city center and it is fantastic. Thousands of people with flags singing and dancing. And this is going on pretty much in every city.

I just hope I could live these kinds of feelings even once after Derby win something big. Would be awesome.

JGWqtwhS2KY

The only team who are bothered about the World Championships is the one who wins it. I live in Sweden and I hardly know anyone who even bothered watching it. Its only the reserves, not even that. All the international players are tied up playing NHL at the moment and the decent ones in Sweden all turned it down because they wanted a rest after a long regular season, the olympic title is the only one that matters and Canada won that I think who I think played there U20s in this comp.

The only team who are bothered about the World Championships is the one who wins it. I live in Sweden and I hardly know anyone who even bothered watching it. Its only the reserves, not even that. All the international players are tied up playing NHL at the moment and the decent ones in Sweden all turned it down because they wanted a rest after a long regular season, the olympic title is the only one that matters and Canada won that I think who I think played there U20s in this comp.

I don`t know how important WC is in Sweden these days and who follow it in tv but here in finland we had 2.4 million viewers and we have just over five million people here.Here ice hockey is by far most popular sport in tv. Although Olympics is most valuable tournament, WC is really important here too. I`m mostly interested in NHL but I`m a rarity here. Most people value the national team higher than me.

The fact that all the best players are not available in WC is due to many things. One might be that not everyone values the tournament. However there are other reasons too. Most NHL team don`t like that their players enter the tournament and risk injury. Especially if they are scratched already. If a player has his contract run out at the end of the season they don`t want to risk injury unless they have played poorly and they want to add their value by playing well in WC. Also there are players that won`t play for some coaches. And some guys are just so tired that they are not up to it.

Still we saw this year players like Jagr, Kovalchuck, Nash and Ovechkin in WC. And Ovechkin came to tournament already injured.

Anyway I don`t care how big deal this tournament is in other countries here it is important and people have been happy and celebrating all week.

I don`t know how important WC is in Sweden these days and who follow it in tv but here in finland we had 2.4 million viewers and we have just over five million people here.Here ice hockey is by far most popular sport in tv. Although Olympics is most valuable tournament, WC is really important here too. I`m mostly interested in NHL but I`m a rarity here. Most people value the national team higher than me.

The fact that all the best players are not available in WC is due to many things. One might be that not everyone values the tournament. However there are other reasons too. Most NHL team don`t like that their players enter the tournament and risk injury. Especially if they are scratched already. If a player has his contract run out at the end of the season they don`t want to risk injury unless they have played poorly and they want to add their value by playing well in WC. Also there are players that won`t play for some coaches. And some guys are just so tired that they are not up to it.

Still we saw this year players like Jagr, Kovalchuck, Nash and Ovechkin in WC. And Ovechkin came to tournament already injured.

Anyway I don`t care how big deal this tournament is in other countries here it is important and people have been happy and celebrating all week.

Its by far the most popular sport here also and I love it now after living here 2 years. Im sure lots watched it here too because they where in the final but losing wasnt such a big deal even against their rivals FInland. Im pretty sure if Sweden had won though they would have been celebrating too. Im the other way round to you though, I like watching the Swedish hockey and follow HV71 closely but not got into the NHL yet.

Archived