Stats: Bywater v Fielding = Clough right to get rid

RotherhamRam

Since Bywater came back into side from injury played 15 games conceded 26 goals and we have taken 9pts from 45.

Since Fielding came back 6 games ago conceded 10 but taken 8pts from 18.

Therefore with these stats would have potentially an extra 12pts which would see us in 12th positition 6pts from 6th place. Now the next question is would we have had the crisis in confidence with Fielding in goal that has been evident with bywater (not blaming him fully but confidence in goal is required).

Now the second point supporting Bywater which supports his poor form. Played 4 for Cardiff conceded 8goals and taken 2 pts from 12. Prior to Bywater playing for them they got 7 pts from 12 and conceded just 3goals. Now is this conicincidence or one of the big reasons for our problems.

Still not sure the final fact in the first 8 games we took 5 pts from 24 and conceded 12 goals. So in 23 games with Bywater we have amassed total 14pts conceded 38 goals just short of 2 a game. With Fielding in goal we have collected 30 pts out of 45pts from 15 games. Pts per game raio for Fielding 2pts and Bywater 0.6. Therefore with Fielding in goal all season using these stats we would have 76pts level with QPR and if Bywater in goal all year we would have 23 pts lying bottom 8pts behind Preston. Now Clough got rid of Bywater some question why maybe this answers the questions and this is why his bottom lip has come out because this has been pointed out to him.

Not the main reason but before you say anything, the defence and the team has been the same for Fielding as for Bywater so why the big difference???

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ayala's arrival to become a regular and decent partner for Barker?

Roberts starting to play well in the last few games?

An unchanged and settled back four of late?

But yes, if this is your way of saying Fielding's better than Bywater, I agree.

A mate of mine came up with a really good point on the confidence issue which took me back to my playing days.

He said, when you were in a good side, you always had a centre half who would win everything, and a striker that scored virtually every match. Now think back to those times when you turned up and 'Dave' (striker) was working so couldn't make it, and 'Keith' (centre half) was out with an injury.

He went on to say that even before a ball was kicked, in the back of your mind you were half expecting to lose without those key players.

I remember those games, and your comment about the confidence the defence seems to have with Fielding in goal is relevant one.

I fear for our last few games without him....

A mate of mine came up with a really good point on the confidence issue which took me back to my playing days.

He said, when you were in a good side, you always had a centre half who would win everything, and a striker that scored virtually every match. Now think back to those times when you turned up and 'Dave' (striker) was working so couldn't make it, and 'Keith' (centre half) was out with an injury.

He went on to say that even before a ball was kicked, in the back of your mind you were half expecting to lose without those key players.

I remember those games, and your comment about the confidence the defence seems to have with Fielding in goal is relevant one.

I fear for our last few games without him....

Very good point.

I went to watch my old Saturday side play in Shardlow at the weekend (whilst listening to the Rams on my phone...). The side they were up aginst had been pushing them for promotion for most of the season and the games between the two have always been close, usually settled by the odd goal. On Saturday my old side tonked them 5-1. What was different this time??? The fact that they had lost their best centre half, midfielder and goalie. Losing experienced, confident players will always have an impact on performances and in turn results. Professionals are no different when it comes to deciding who the better players in the team are. Bywater has always been flaky despite being a good shot stopper. The fact that Fielding will stay and train with us until signing in the summer is certainly a positive move.

Fielding has exceptional talent. He's young, and if it wasn't for Joe Hart I'd be confident that he would play for England in the future.

He looks reliable in the air and his distribution is absolutely top notch. He miskicked a couple against Palace but I still thought he had a good game. I'd back him one on one most times (that's not to say he'd always come out on top), but he has stature.

He seems more mature than Bywater, which is funny given their respective ages. He looks very calm and composed, and has come in to a faltering team and played well. I don't get the feeling he's going to do something completely erratic.

If it's a straight shoot out between the two, and we could afford him, then I'd definitely go for Fielding, and I think most would.

Archived