Why do we give players away?

REDCAR

To be fair it is like we have given Hulse and Commons away. Hulse went for £700k, when earlier that year Boro had a £4million bid for him accepted. We accepted the first bid that came along, we didn't try and get one of the richest clubs in Britain to up their fee.

The same is happening with Commons, we leave it late to offer him a new deal and when we do he is already being wanted by other clubs, we accept the first 2 bids for him, being 300k and 500k, again we shown no ambition, we let other clubs take advantage of us and we show no fight in getting his fee up, surely we could have told Celtic to up their bid to atleast 500k?

It seems to me over the past 6 months or so we have jumped at the chance to sell our important players, both going for a combined £1 million when a year or so ago they were worth around the £7 million mark for both of them

We couldn't have offered him one any earlier, last season Commons barely appeared all season apart from a cameo in January and a few appearances dotted about.

We told him to earn a deal, as we should have, he starts to play well and negotiations start. His agent names his price, we agree to it after negotiation and his agent bumps the price up again.

Very little we could have done in this situation, and i'm glad we've not paid him what he wanted. He's not worth it, if Adel Taarabt is happy on £15k a week, Kris damn well should be.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, he was told to earn a new deal and he has done, but how do you explain the decision to give Stephen Pearson a new contract, I can't think of anything he offers to the team, he hasn't done anything in recent years yet we give him 2 year extension.

Yes, he was told to earn a new deal and he has done, but how do you explain the decision to give Stephen Pearson a new contract, I can't think of anything he offers to the team, he hasn't done anything in recent years yet we give him 2 year extension.

Last season, he managed almost a full season and we were using wingers. Pearsons raw pace makes him an asset, and he was ok. Not great, but ok.

Hence he was given a contract.

Why do Derby County seem to roll over and take whatever they are offered for our best players?

the loss of Commons and Hulse are due to potential mis-management.

Nigel was highly critical and publically critical of Hulse when he first arrived - taked about a failure to go in where it hurts -and bought Porter.

I think this alienated Hulse - whose body language was never good thereafter. In the end Glick said that the release of Hulse was a footballing decision. Nigel didn't want him.

Personally i would have kept him this season and written off the 600k.

Nigel also was publicly critical of Kris Commons. The time to do the deal was last summer when Kris had a weak negotiating position. But Nigel delayed too long even tho Kris had said he wanted something sorted asap. By the time negotiations commenced, Kris was on a high and had slipped beyond our affordability.

Poor decision making.

Last season, he managed almost a full season and we were using wingers. Pearsons raw pace makes him an asset, and he was ok. Not great, but ok.

I personally think he doesn't offer us anything, if he could cross a ball then fair enough, he runs but he hasn't got that football brain, he doesn't know what to do with the ball and if Nigel/Glick come out and say he can step up and replace Commons then I fear for the club, same when they suggested Porter will succeed in Hulse's departure. Too many average players at this club, and some of our players wouldn't get into another Championship side.

the loss of Commons and Hulse are due to potential mis-management.

Nigel was highly critical and publically critical of Hulse when he first arrived - taked about a failure to go in where it hurts -and bought Porter.

I think this alienated Hulse - whose body language was never good thereafter. In the end Glick said that the release of Hulse was a footballing decision. Nigel didn't want him.

Personally i would have kept him this season and written off the 600k.

Nigel also was publicly critical of Kris Commons. The time to do the deal was last summer when Kris had a weak negotiating position. But Nigel delayed too long even tho Kris had said he wanted something sorted asap. By the time negotiations commenced, Kris was on a high and had slipped beyond our affordability.

Poor decision making.

I again say in the KC contract - we should have done it earlier view point. I cannot rememebr anyone saying that Clough was wrong to wait and tell him to earn the contract.

Kris said he wanted something sorted ASAP - he said that at Forest and at Stoke too.

Even if we had offered him a contract last year he could and possibly would have said I'll think about it and dragged it out until this season anyway. Commons has been noted as a stand out player for a whilr and both he and his agent will have known if they held out and let his contract run out again he would get a bloody good somewhere

I again say in the KC contract - we should have done it earlier view point. I cannot rememebr anyone saying that Clough was wrong to wait and tell him to earn the contract.

Kris said he wanted something sorted ASAP - he said that at Forest and at Stoke too.

Even if we had offered him a contract last year he could and possibly would have said I'll think about it and dragged it out until this season anyway. Commons has been noted as a stand out player for a whilr and both he and his agent will have known if they held out and let his contract run out again he would get a bloody good somewhere

I always thought we should get it sorted asap at the end of last season but alot of fans were anti-Commons due to his hamstring probs.

He wanted the deal doing. He said frequently that it was Forests failure to get a deal sorted and leave it too late that upset him.

We just repeated their error...even tho he'd said it upset him.

Idiots.

What a complete and utter bullshit.

He has signed a new contract at the start of last season (in December 2009) despite the fact that in previous season (2008-09) he played only 8 games.

he did not need to prove his fitness just because he is Nigel's pet.

he has never been ok, he is the most useless device in Britain. His wife is fit though.

Sold Carsley for 3.4 million

Dailly 5.4 million

Delap 4 million

Don't think we done bad sometimes

And Set Johnson £7m plus add ons think we got over £8m in the end.

But that was ages ago , more recently Barnes (nothing) , Commons £500k and Hulse £750k . Could have got £4m for Hulse if he had agreed terms with Boro and I think the other two were rated at similar fees as well before their contracts ran out.

What a complete and utter bullshit.

He has signed a new contract at the start of last season (in December 2009) despite the fact that in previous season (2008-09) he played only 8 games.

he did not need to prove his fitness just because he is Nigel's pet.

he has never been ok, he is the most useless device in Britain. His wife is fit though.

And how many games had he managed in that actual season when he was offered his contract, which was my original point that you've kindly twisted?

He had been pretty much ever present, there was a DET article about how it was his most reliable season ever for playing games last season.

He has looked better this season, he's finally taking his man on more. Shame he's currently injured.

Archived