Easteanders' barmy storyline

ladyram

I just wondered what anyone else thought of EE's scriptwriters scraping the bottom of the barrell with the whole "baby swap" story?

Now I know it can only be a good thing that subjects like cot death are highlighted and people can be educated about the signs to look for etc...

but to have Ronnie swap babies in her grief is just plain daft and doesn't paint bereaved parents in a very good picture.

Thoughts?

Now a word peoples - before anybody shouts "it's not real, it's just a show.." of course it is! But the feelings such storylines evoke is all too real for a lot of people.

I was going to put this into the "entertainment room" section but I don't really see this as entertainment.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All soaps have crazy storylines to try and out do each other and get the ratings up, if they can get people talking about it they have done the job.

Eastenders

Emmerdale

Borination Street

All as bad as each other with the twisted stuff they put on our screens.

i love my soaps (i know im sad but i do) but i walked out the room and couldnt watch it and wont do till its done and dusted :mad:

I also found it hard to watch Lynds, having personal experience of losing a child. EE said they had researched cot death with FSID and that's all well and good and everything - but presenting a bereaved mum of having the idea of swapping her dead child for another is just total lunacy. There must have been another way of exploring post-natal physcosis.

Personally for me - I didn't want to set eyes on another baby, couldn't even stand to look at baby clothes so to portray women as baby snatchers is just wrong. I've never heard of a woman doing this before, neither have FSID.

It's a real shame they resorted to this in a bid to boost ratings. :mad:

Ladyram, I too have had the experience of losing a child - with a very good friend having a baby on the same day as me but the thought of running off with my friends baby didn't even enter my head. I didn't want HER child, I wanted MY child.

Surely to god people don't believe that Kat wouldn't know her own child.

I too will not watch it - not only is it upsetting for bereaved parents, but for viewers as a whole - at Christmas ffs.

Ah mrs - that's so sad! :frown: I hate the way life jumps up and bites us in the ass sometimes

Hi Alex - EE is known to have an element of doom and gloom about it - but it covers a whole range of topics that need highlighting - Stacey & Jeans bi-polar disorder for one which gave me an education because I'd never heard of it.

More importantly, it gave people who recognised the symptoms of it but didn't understand what they meant a chance to get it sorted with some help which I believe some did, thankfully.

Some other plots have been stupid though - I mean, Phil Mitchell recovering from crack in about 4 days? That's just not reflecting reality at all.

I've always been a fan of EE but something needs to change within the script writers offices me thinks.

Hi ladyram - I know its had some storylines such as the bi-polar disorder run with Stacey that do highlight some important things.

But unlike Emmerdale or Coronation Street, there seems to be no humour. No-one on there is laughing or smiling alot, they are a large number of unhappy people who have brief happiness before something else happens and they frown for four weeks straight.

I can't stand it, I hope no-one lives life as miserably as everyone on there seem too.

I see what you mean Alex - that's why Alfie is brilliant - always having a larf (granted, not at the moment though).

They all laugh sometimes, just not often. It's like that where I work, load of miserable sods. That's why I come on here, to be cheered up :D

6,000 complaints about the storyline concerning the baby swap.I think its important to raise awareness about cot death,but to tarnish it with this cheap story is wrong.

emmerdale are apparently going to be doing a plot regarding thre rape of a woman too.

Seems a lot of heavy storylines for the tea-time viewer,including children.

The thing is Eastenders, as a soap, has to act as an education as well as entertainment to some. So it has to portray the situation of a cot death because it happens a lot in the western world. To be basing a story on it is good in terms of educating the public but to make this whole dramatic storyline is just bad taste in my opinion.

The problem is that it will painfully delay the issue being resolved until next Christmas, all in the purpose of 'entertainment', but it's lazy script writing in my opinion.

But it seems it's done its job, as Daveo said, and got people talking about it.

Archived