Christmas Lights

MrsRam

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who have you got to come round and do the big turn on?

MrRam of course. :D he's a leg end in our house, well I think that's what the kids call him. :redface:

No, I have to stand at the bottom of the ladder every year - tensed up just incase he falls on me - I hate it.

You might notice a slight dimming of your lights.

Just saw something on One Show about z-list celebs (Dick + Dom, Lemar) being paid between 4 and 6k to turn on Christmas lights with taxpayers' money.

It's ridiculous. When they're that low in their career they should be paying the local councils for the attention they desperately require to restart their failed stardom.

I wired up the xmas lighting at Park Farms in Allestree one year, and they had the local artist Pollyanna Pickering switch them on.

Well, you may or may not know that these plungers they press to officially switch them on are just a load of ******** and are not connected to anything.

I was stood next to the little stage where she was giving her little speech about how happy and honoured she was etc, waiting to 2way radio a signal to my mate who was in the switch room who was going to officially turn on the lights, after scratching his knackers and picking his nose.

Well, to cut a long story short, the electronic timer I'd set up to bring the lights on normally when it got dark, decided to bring the lights on midway through her rambling little monologue.

It went silent, except for me shouting down the 2way radio "TURN EM OFF! TURN EM OFF!"

If I ruined your Xmas experience that year, then I'm sorry. I bet Barrman was there in his pushchair.

i have no recollection of this memory, must of blanked it out as it was so scarring. i didnt even know park farm had someone to switch them on? :confused:

i can imagine there was a big crowd, its the central hub of allestree, all those peopes night ruined!

i honestly have no recollection of any lights ever being up there, they must of been amazing

umm.....surely the sensor should only bring them on if the manual switch is also on?

doh....this bloddy electrickery

For some reason I have a mental image of the whole thing being like an episode of Phoenix nights.....Boycie = Brian Potter, Jerry Sinclair = ball scratcher.

Its a wonder the place didn't burn down.

I wired up the xmas lighting at Park Farms in Allestree one year, and they had the local artist Pollyanna Pickering switch them on.

Well, you may or may not know that these plungers they press to officially switch them on are just a load of ******** and are not connected to anything.

I was stood next to the little stage where she was giving her little speech about how happy and honoured she was etc, waiting to 2way radio a signal to my mate who was in the switch room who was going to officially turn on the lights, after scratching his knackers and picking his nose.

Well, to cut a long story short, the electronic timer I'd set up to bring the lights on normally when it got dark, decided to bring the lights on midway through her rambling little monologue.

It went silent, except for me shouting down the 2way radio "TURN EM OFF! TURN EM OFF!"

If I ruined your Xmas experience that year, then I'm sorry. I bet Barrman was there in his pushchair.

So these people are paid several thousands of pounds, just to erm, be there?

So these people are paid several thousands of pounds, just to erm, be there?

Sorry to shatter your illusions Joseph.

The Golden Mile at Blackpool has loads of little men with 2 way radio's all the way down the front waiting to switch on that section of lights. Just after Wagner pushes the plunger.

I mean, come on, have you seen some of the devices they use? They're like cartoon dynamite detonators covered in tinsel ffs.

Archived