All Optimists report in.

Whoneedshuls

As one who predicted a good season at the outset (with the proviso that we steered clear of the previous season's crippling injury list) and as one who welcomed Nigel's signings and has always been behind our manager 100%,I feel entitled to post on this thread rather than the "alternative".

A week ago I identified the fortcoming 3 games as a stiff test.With just 2 completed,the test is already passed and the absence of Bueno makes the performances even more creditable.Some say it's too early to go up-I entirely disagree and think we should strive to win this league.If we did this (and maintained our supremacy over the other 2 promoted clubs in the summer window),then we'd be left with just one other team to "reel in" to survive,and there'll always be a few candidates there.

No team has shown itself to be head and shoulders above the rest this year.If we could only get our long term injuries up and running,then not only would we have a decent team but a bench which would be the envy of most.I'm not talking expectations here,merely an assessment of our squad compared to others.

Apart from the obvious spectre of injuries,I can see 2 other factors which could possibly derail us.At the moment,early season pitches (in great condition) suit our style-I hope we can adjust when the bumpy ones inevitably set in (not to mention the possibility of opponents adjusting the cut of pitches to work against us).Perhaps the biggest question mark will come if and when we reach the finishing stretch.Would we have the mental strength to see us over the line-many teams have failed in this respect in the past,one recent example being particularly enjoyable.I think some Sav knockers might just appreciate his qualities in such circumstances.

As far as the board goes,I recently took up the suggestions of some on the DET to email a member of the investment group,and was asked to keep our exchange confidential.I've decided to accept something I was told in good faith,with the proviso that it be checked out on publication of the next set of accounts.As 5 months isn't too long to wait,I've decided to rein in my financial comments until then and just sit back and enjoy our performances.

I particularly hope that we can get Steve Davies fully fit,as that lad can play.Also a special mention for Jake-I'd be delighted for the lad if he were able to come back and play a part,however small.I've seen loads of worse centre backs in a Rams shirt during my time as a fan,but few to match his attitude.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Delighted with the way things are going, but very concerned about the injury list. What would be a boost is if we are still in contention in the Spring & then the likes of Davies & Porter come back. Hope we can keep the loanees Fielding & Kuqi until the end of the season. If we want to be contenders we will need to buy in January. Just hope Addison hasn't been rushed back too quickly as he is a real stalwart who can play anywhere.

Hey Ramblur.....this is sticking as I type........but.........great post!. There I said it I agreed with a post without any buts..........:):)

Although I am now intrigued as to what you are keeping confidential.......thats not a backhanded way of asking by the way. I'm just glad you emailed the club and got an answer.

This enxt bit is just a general question.......

If and when Davies and Addison return to full fitness and stay fit they will be like 2 new signings as they have been out for so long. If we can keep Moore and Kuqi on loan past January what else do we need to bring in?

I would like Fielding to stay to keep Byewater on his toes or as number 1. Apart from that I dont think we need anything else.

Is there much point in buying players in January that could upset the apple cart? We would have to strengthen considerably to purchase players for the Prem if we get promoted even if we strengthen in January, so why spend twice on permanent fees when we don't have to.

You say accept? Does that mean that what this investor told you was the opposite of the answer you were expecting?

The information wasn't asked for,it was volunteered.If what I was told is borne out in the accounts,then I'll be relatively happy with our owners-sorry I can say no more as I take the ethics of confidentiality very seriously.

Polls by fans at the start of the season indicated that we would finish mid-table, at the best.

16 games in, we're fourth, playing the nicest football in years, looking stronger and stronger with each performance!

Can only be a good thing!

It's not optimism now, it's realism!

UTR! :D

Hey Ramblur.....this is sticking as I type........but.........great post!. There I said it I agreed with a post without any buts..........:):)

Although I am now intrigued as to what you are keeping confidential.......thats not a backhanded way of asking by the way. I'm just glad you emailed the club and got an answer.

This enxt bit is just a general question.......

If and when Davies and Addison return to full fitness and stay fit they will be like 2 new signings as they have been out for so long. If we can keep Moore and Kuqi on loan past January what else do we need to bring in?

I would like Fielding to stay to keep Byewater on his toes or as number 1. Apart from that I dont think we need anything else.

Is there much point in buying players in January that could upset the apple cart? We would have to strengthen considerably to purchase players for the Prem if we get promoted even if we strengthen in January, so why spend twice on permanent fees when we don't have to.

The problem with Davies and Addison is that we're unlikely to know by the end of January whether the pair are fully recovered-there've been too many false dawns.If both did fully recover,then I'd be relatively happy with our squad.However,Nigel has said on more than one occasion that he wants to bring in someone to take set plays-I suspect he'd like to bring in Ben come January.

Not sure about your point regarding spending twice.If we are challenging come January,I would expect any permanent signings to be those that Nigel considers able to cope in the Prem (and I wouldn't rule Ben out of this category-Brian was well able to pluck players out of relative obscurity,that eventually went on to shine in the upper tier).

The problem with our last promotion season was that the Jan signings were pure championship class and this was compounded by the bonus issue.I wouldn't expect Nigel to make the same mistakes

The major difference between this squad and the one the poison dwarf assembled is this squad can get better, the team under Davies was as good as it could be hence our disastrous time. These players look hungry and want to and can improve. Small tinkering will be required to keep the squad fresh and ensure they can get better. Anybody who had the misfortune to watch Stoke v Birmingham last night will know we can on our day compete with the teams we need to in the Prem. Davies,Jewell and the players before never believed they could.

The major difference between this squad and the one the poison dwarf assembled is this squad can get better, the team under Davies was as good as it could be hence our disastrous time. These players look hungry and want to and can improve. Small tinkering will be required to keep the squad fresh and ensure they can get better. Anybody who had the misfortune to watch Stoke v Birmingham last night will know we can on our day compete with the teams we need to in the Prem. Davies,Jewell and the players before never believed they could.

Totally agree mate. That added youth has brought a lot of hunger with it!

Onwards and upwards!

Thats the secret for me - enjoy it, enjoy the football being played, enjoy the goals flying in, enjoy looking forward to the next game with no fear!

Take it one game at a time and lets just see what happens. The Rams rollercoaster is well and truly on the up.....:)

UTR

The truth is..that goals are going in on a regular basis.

That, together with some good defending.....has helped improve results.

I do not think NC used injuries as an excuse earlier in the season, however, the fact that the team is more settled and injuries have cleared up...the end product speaks for itself. Getting Fielding in immediately after Bywater was injured was a great move.......at the appropriate time.

Other brave souls made the jump from DET to this place much faster than I did.

I do like this place a lot better already - and it's helped by some of the regulars being here.

As an optimist I would like to report in. However on the last forum I was usually insulted even when I hadn't contributed to the thread.. cheers for that.. it was lovely to log in looking forward to the next hammering...

it was usually to call me the gay secret lover of NC - simply for saying that Brayford would turn out to be a crowd favourite and that NC was building a club and a team to be proud of...

I understand the intelligently put together insults now - I mean how could I be so wrong.....

This club is going places, I hope it's this season but I won't be disappointed if it takes a bit longer.

How nice is it to see that now Derby have a reputation as a footballing side that's great to watch - the plaudits are coming from everywhere.

Happy Days.

Other brave souls made the jump from DET to this place much faster than I did.

I do like this place a lot better already - and it's helped by some of the regulars being here.

As an optimist I would like to report in. However on the last forum I was usually insulted even when I hadn't contributed to the thread.. cheers for that.. it was lovely to log in looking forward to the next hammering...

it was usually to call me the gay secret lover of NC - simply for saying that Brayford would turn out to be a crowd favourite and that NC was building a club and a team to be proud of...

I understand the intelligently put together insults now - I mean how could I be so wrong.....

This club is going places, I hope it's this season but I won't be disappointed if it takes a bit longer.

How nice is it to see that now Derby have a reputation as a footballing side that's great to watch - the plaudits are coming from everywhere.

Happy Days.

Hello again centreforward, your comments on the other forum were much needed, despite the abuse you took for them.

Much nicer over here :D

Good to see you made the cross over.

Not sure if I'm an optimist or not.

I've always had faith that, given time, NC will get it right. I'm still cautious that its early, and two bad results might leave us looking a little less high-flying - but the ingredients are looking very good. Good performances, good results - if we can keep playing this way we'll be fine, maybe better than fine.

If this season is early for promotion, there's plenty of time for this squad to get better.

The information wasn't asked for,it was volunteered.If what I was told is borne out in the accounts,then I'll be relatively happy with our owners-sorry I can say no more as I take the ethics of confidentiality very seriously.

I appreciate you can't say much, the only question I will ask is this, I noticed you mentioned five months somewhere, does this mean we will fund out this information that has been passed to you in that time?

Archived