INFO: Bus Lane restrictions trial - next to Costco - May improve matchday traffic for some(?)...

Put this in DCFC, as it may improve matchday traffic for some?

Specifically relating to the current/existing full-time bus lane leading (ONE WAY) from Tim Hortons/Burger King/M&S Food Hall etc down to West Meadows/Jaguar/Pentagon Fuel Station etc.

Trial run begins Fri 21st June for "Up to 18 months", to open up to all traffic except 07:00 to 10:00 and 15:00 to 18:00 seven days a week, where it will remain as a bus/taxi/cycle only lane, as currently.

E-Mail from Costco:

Costco, Derby City Council and local bus operators have been working together to try and improve the traffic congestion that regularly builds around the Wyvern Way / Derwent Parade roundabout. 

From Friday 21st June 2024, new time restrictions will be applied to the bus lane (Chequers Road) that runs westbound adjacent to Costco's warehouse. The new restrictions will be implemented on an experimental basis for up to 18 months and if successful, will become permanent. 

The bus lane will now operate from 7am until 10am and from 3pm to 6pm, seven days a week. Outside of those times, any vehicle will be able to use the bus lane. 

The aim is to increase the efficiency with which members can access Costco, therefore reducing the congestion on the main Wyvern Way / Derwent Parade roundabout. At busy times between 10am and 3pm, vehicles may be redirected down the bus lane and asked to enter Costco's car park from the western end. 

Clear signage will be in place at the start of the bus lane. Please be aware that Derby City Council's camera enforcement within the bus lane's operating hours will still continue. 

image.thumb.png.5bf7653c58fc65d9eaa73099c0c14408.png

This message was delivered to you by your friendly ITK local highways expert/Costco member, at no extra cost to your dcfcfans subscription.

#you're most welcome
#ITK
#Finally!
#etc...

Edited by Mucker1884

As someone who’s parked in that area ever since PP opened I’m surprised to learn it’s a bus lane. I’ve never seen a bus use it in all the time I’ve been going. I do see a lot of people wandering down that bit of road (and the odd cyclist) after they cross the A52 and make their way through Costco’s car park (and back at match end). Those people are going to have to be more aware now especially after the game - and it’s not well lit either, for night matches.
The problem will be at the fuel station traffic lights onto Pentagon which are slow to change at the best of times.  More traffic using them will make leaving the area much more difficult. Let’s hope someone competent is running the trial.

1 hour ago, ilkleyram said:

As someone who’s parked in that area ever since PP opened I’m surprised to learn it’s a bus lane. I’ve never seen a bus use it in all the time I’ve been going. I do see a lot of people wandering down that bit of road (and the odd cyclist) after they cross the A52 and make their way through Costco’s car park (and back at match end). Those people are going to have to be more aware now especially after the game - and it’s not well lit either, for night matches.
The problem will be at the fuel station traffic lights onto Pentagon which are slow to change at the best of times.  More traffic using them will make leaving the area much more difficult. Let’s hope someone competent is running the trial.

We use it when returning that way on a bike ride, and same for me on the odd occasion I cycle to and from the match.  I have to be most aware and active on my bells when leaving a game, as folk just meander straight out from Costco without looking.
I think I've seen 2 buses on it in that same period!
Agree with the lights by the fuel station.  It soon backs up just from the cars that park up on the West Meadows road (for evening matches... no parking down there on Saturday afternoons... although Costco is also used as a rat run.). 

I honestly can't decide whether it will be a good move or not.  Time will tell, I guess.

2 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Not using it during peak times when it could assist those already on the Wyvern seems a bit redundant.

Agreed.

I get the impression Derby-Bound bus drivers have the option (as opposed to being an official route throughout rush hour), and they just can't be arsed to pull off the A52, preferring to hang around in the main queue for the Pentagon.  Sightings of buses on here are a rarity, although the odd taxi can be spotted now and then.

Presently (and to date), there simply is no peak time, as far as this short stretch of road is concerned!