Laura Kenney

Crewton

...has announced her retirement from competitive cycling.

I thought she deserved her own thread as one of Britain's greatest Olympians and greatest cyclists of either sex, but also as the epitome of a grounded, modest superstar. She and her husband Jason are no 'Posh and Becks' just great examples of how to deal with sporting success and all that comes with it.

On 18/03/2024 at 08:00, Crewton said:

...has announced her retirement from competitive cycling.

I thought she deserved her own thread as one of Britain's greatest Olympians and greatest cyclists of either sex, but also as the epitome of a grounded, modest superstar. She and her husband Jason are no 'Posh and Becks' just great examples of how to deal with sporting success and all that comes with it.

I remember seeing Laura Trott as she was at Derby Velodrome in 2015 in a pre-Rio Olympics event. I wasn't that familiar with the different races then but she really did stand out and that's at an event with Wiggins, Cavendish, Clancy et al. That event sold out the Velodrome for all three days - it's a shame they haven't had anything like it since.

Of course Jason Kenny will be at Pride Park on Sunday as he's running the Derby 10k for charity.