Davids attacks Bennett- good lad!!!

Hucknall Ram

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EDGAR DAVIDS has been involved in a furious training-ground bust-up at Crystal Palace.

The Dutch hothead, 37, stunned players and staff by grappling with left-back Julian Bennett and shouting: "I'm the boss around here."

Tempers boiled over when Bennett, on loan from Nottingham Forest, blasted the veteran for giving the ball away in a practice session.

Davids, who joined the Eagles in August, took exception to the criticism and squared up to the defender.

The incident took place two weeks ago at Palace's training base near Beckenham.

A witness said: "Edgar hasn't had the best of times since joining us.

"I think Bennett's comment was possibly a step too far and he just flipped.

"He went over to Bennett, grabbed him and started screaming 'I'm the boss around here'.

"Everybody was stunned and nobody quite knew how to react - before a few of the other lads then jumped in and pulled them apart.

"Players argue in training all the time but Edgar just flipped."

Davids was sent home from Euro 96 for slating Dutch coach Guus Hiddink.

And, while at Tottenham, reports claim he came to blows with Robbie Keane in another training-ground row in 2005.

I like Bennett personally, seems like a nice enough bloke.

I think Davids is finding it hard to find form and for someone who's played in the best leagues in the world at one stage, and it must be extremely frustrating to be playing poorly in the Championship.

Bennett probably shouldn't have opened his mouth, but if Davids was giving the ball away alot he would need a word from the manager. Not sure Bennett is in a position to tell him.

Archived