Risk

DiggerB

It was interesting to hear PWs comment that he didn't think we took enough risks on Tuesday (I would agree, it was far too slow and predictable passing it across the back in front of 2 blocks). Was also interesting to hear him post-match about trying to get Springett on but being in two minds because of the chance of one of the  "Galacticos" pinching a goal. I wonder how much risk he is willing to work with? Starting Rooney at RB to push Smith into midfield? Giving Odurah a run out? Giving Springett a start? Playing White as a 10 to give Didzy a rest? 

3 hours ago, DiggerB said:

It was interesting to hear PWs comment that he didn't think we took enough risks on Tuesday (I would agree, it was far too slow and predictable passing it across the back in front of 2 blocks). Was also interesting to hear him post-match about trying to get Springett on but being in two minds because of the chance of one of the  "Galacticos" pinching a goal. I wonder how much risk he is willing to work with? Starting Rooney at RB to push Smith into midfield? Giving Odurah a run out? Giving Springett a start? Playing White as a 10 to give Didzy a rest? 

We're still a work in progress on the pitch. So many of the team were coached never to take a risk and always to turn backwards and keep the ball at all costs. When the players are under pressure they will likely revert to their core training. 

But it seems in this case Warne was probably right in that Barks picked out Didzy with a late cross to score the winner. Only the lino wasn't having that, so wrongly ruled it out. 

When competing at the top end of the table it becomes riskier to change things around too much. It would be good to see more of Springett, but right now that will probably only happen when in a winning position in matches. More likely will be White starting, but he looks more defensive than someone to replace McGoldrick. The best option to give Didzy a rest is surely to play Collins up top on his own, but have Sibley in attacking midfield. 

3 hours ago, DiggerB said:

How about putting Knight at right back and keeping Collins on? Smith was a bit rubbish mind you so was Knight.