Brazil are set to play at Pride Park in friendly

Day

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FIRST indication for Derby County that the requirements for staging an international match compared with a Championship clash would be slightly different came on Friday when not one but two kit vans had to be sent to Manchester Airport to meet the Brazilian squad.

Brazil had flown in from Abu Dhabi where they had beaten Iran the night before and their 90 bags and containers of kit had to be transported to their base at Champney's Springs Spa in Ashby-de-la-Zouch.

Brazil's football federation have used Champneys in the past while their opponents at Pride Park Stadium tonight, Ukraine, are staying at the Mickleover Court Hotel.

Both teams were welcomed by a crowd of fans and autograph hunters when they arrived to train at Pride Park yesterday.

Monday, October 11, 2010, 08:30Comment on this storyShare Bookmark with (what is social media?)

Facebook Digg Reddit Delicious StumbleUpon

Two van loads of kit, a media scrum and a request for 'very' hot chocolate such a contrast to the Championship

FIRST indication for Derby County that the requirements for staging an international match compared with a Championship clash would be slightly different came on Friday when not one but two kit vans had to be sent to Manchester Airport to meet the Brazilian squad.

Brazil had flown in from Abu Dhabi where they had beaten Iran the night before and their 90 bags and containers of kit had to be transported to their base at Champney's Springs Spa in Ashby-de-la-Zouch.

Brazil's football federation have used Champneys in the past while their opponents at Pride Park Stadium tonight, Ukraine, are staying at the Mickleover Court Hotel.

Both teams were welcomed by a crowd of fans and autograph hunters when they arrived to train at Pride Park yesterday.

Brazil trained in mid-afternoon – Rams manager Nigel Clough was an interested observer – and Ukraine early evening under the floodlights.

Members of the local Ukrainian community, some in national costume, greeted the players as they stepped off the team bus.

Journalists and TV crews have turned up in their numbers to follow the fortunes of both teams.

"There are around 100 international journalists, many of them from TV, and they are split 50-50 between the teams," said the Rams head of communications, Matt McCann.

The match is being screened in more than 100 countries.

Derby have to provide the music for both national anthems, which will be played and not sung, and also the flags of both countries as well as a FIFA flag.

The Football Association sent the Brazil and FIFA flags and Ukraine delivered their flag when they arrived to train.

Brazil will use the home dressing room at Pride Park and both teams have provided Derby with a list of the food and drink required in their dressing rooms tonight.

There is plenty of fruit on both lists, especially peeled apples for the Brazilian players, as well as the usual bottled water and energy drinks.

Brazil's requirements also include coffee, tea and "very" hot chocolate as well as cookies (without chocolate).

Translators are on hand if needed but both teams are equipped to handle any language problems.

Derby have to provide two lists of players' names.

One list is for the referee, Martin Atkinson of West Yorkshire, which contains the full names of each player and another list for the team sheets issued to the media.

For example, Brazil's captain, Robinho, will appear as Robson de Souza on the referee's official team sheet and Robinho, as he is more commonly known, on the other team sheet.

The Mayor of Derby, Councillor Amar Nath, will be introduced to the teams.

How many tickets have been sold? anyone know? I saw in the DET that they are expecting 15,000 crowd, thats terrible for a Brasil game.

I know the prices are a bit steep 30 quid, but if the emirates can fill 60,000 stadium for Brasil game why cant we fill 33,000?

It would be a good omen as well incase Bristol city,s proposed new ground does not get the go ahead maybe Derby could still be in with a chance if we win the bidding for WC 2018.

How many tickets have been sold? anyone know? I saw in the DET that they are expecting 15,000 crowd, thats terrible for a Brasil game.

I know the prices are a bit steep 30 quid, but if the emirates can fill 60,000 stadium for Brasil game why cant we fill 33,000?

It would be a good omen as well incase Bristol city,s proposed new ground does not get the go ahead maybe Derby could still be in with a chance if we win the bidding for WC 2018.

Simple answer is there's a recession on and not everyone can afford to pay £70 plus travel costs to take a family. I'm spending my money on tickets for the Donny away game instead, the saving on travel will pay the other tenner towards the cost.

A more realistic "friendly" price would have been £12.50 for adults and £7.50 for kids, I bet the ground would have been closer to capacity with far more families attending.

London and Derby. Also, it's a Monday night.

Simple answer is there's a recession on and not everyone can afford to pay £70 plus travel costs to take a family. I'm spending my money on tickets for the Donny away game instead, the saving on travel will pay the other tenner towards the cost.

A more realistic "friendly" price would have been £12.50 for adults and £7.50 for kids, I bet the ground would have been closer to capacity with far more families attending.

I understand totally what your saying with family and travel and recession, but this is Brasil, not Doncaster rovers.

What this? London Derby? I am on about the capacity not the city, and if they can fill 60,000 why cant we fill 33,000?

Derby is a city of 300,000 people. Most of them are working. London is a city of 14,000,000. Most of them would probably have an early start on Tuesday too but there tends to be more people who have money to throw about.

Who were Brazil playing when it was at the Emirates, and did the likes of Kaka play?

Had it been Brazil v Argentina, Italy, Holland etc. it may have attracted a better crowd. Also have to ask why are Forest, Chesterfield, Burton Albion fans not all rushing to see a second string Brazil side? they are all only down the road.

Archived