Players of professional standing/Embargo

Rample

A few thoughts if we can't/don't sign anybody by the first few games of the season.

Odds that we need to give someone a debut? Take all the uncontracted players out and there will definitely be 1 or 2 on the bench.  An injury or similar, someone comes on and suddenly they are an additional "player of professional standing". Slots reduced further and if the registration embargo does somehow get lifted by the end of August we're down to one less proper signing.

For that reason we're actually in essence prevented from bringing kids on, and certainly from fielding them in the carabao cup if we want to. If you do need to choose between Cashin and Solomon for example you're stuck with that choice unless you want to lose yet another slot.

Also with the restrictions on registering anyone, how can we possibly sell if we aren't able to replace them anyway. For a side that has typically raised £10m a year by selling assets, we could potentially have to start turning these bids down or face weakening the squad given that any players attracting bids would likely be key players.

Seems like a total  restriction of trade.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jordan Brown would probably be the first option for an academy CB, seeing as he's had a couple of appearances in the league and cup so is "of professional standing" anyway, but I don't think he's played any of the preseason games, so he might be injured. If he was fit, I'm pretty sure it would be him and Fozzy at CB if we can't get anyone else in.

1 minute ago, JfR said:

Jordan Brown would probably be the first option for an academy CB, seeing as he's had a couple of appearances in the league and cup so is "of professional standing" anyway, but I don't think he's played any of the preseason games, so he might be injured. If he was fit, I'm pretty sure it would be him and Fozzy at CB if we can't get anyone else in.

Unbelievable that we're even contemplating this. What have you done to our football club Mel.

Archived