Craig Bellamy

Day

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of the two brothers Hugh and John Boyle, who co-founded Zoom airlines in 2003, John is the most high-profile and sometimes controversial of the Lanarkshire siblings.

An irrepressible and larger-than-life character - who made his fortune in the travel industry and invested his money in football as former chairman of Motherwell FC - he recently jetted off to Bermuda with 150 guests in tow for his second wedding. The total bill for that bash was estimated to be £250,000, although his wedding guests raised around £50,000 for charity while they were at it.

With his distinctive, theatrical voice, Boyle is known as a flamboyant character and is easy fodder for the satirists. In particular, he has been lampooned on the BBC Radio Scotland football show, Off the Ball.

Boyle made his money in the travel industry, selling his firm Direct Holidays for £56m in 1999. He then explored a range of other investment opportunities - in technology, the media, printing, as well as travel - and set up Zoom airlines with his brother, eventually employing more than 700 people in Scotland and Canada.

He also forayed into football, becoming chairman and majority shareholder of Motherwell FC in 1999 and embarking on a spectacular, but ultimately failed, ambition to challenge the duopoly of Rangers and Celtic in Scottish football. The Boyles grew up Bellshill on the outskirts of Glasgow, almost within walking distance of Motherwell's Fir Park.

That particular dream died in 2002 when Motherwell went into administration with debts of more than £8m.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/article4633193.ece

---------------------------------------------------------

Oh dear of dear, what a hypocrite :D

I think you also have to take your hat off to Bellamy however much people may hate him, if he hadn't spoke of his desire to go home I doubt Cardiff would of even contacted Man City about the loan move.

Bellamy could of sat on his arse in the reserves and took his 90k home per week for doing sod all, instead he's dropped a level to play for the club he supported as a boy, how many footballers would do that these days?

It will be interesting to see if Cardiff are promoted would he stay and sign for Cardiff and take a pay cut, when you look at Cardiff's squad I just can't see them not getting promoted.

Bellamy, Chopra, Whittingham, Koumas, Bothroyd and McCormack, lot's of goals in those players and McNaughton was saying the club are looking to bring more players in. I admit I'm jealous.

40 games last season and won Man City player of the season award, he had a very good season which is why it's so suprising Man City have let him go.

Also notched up 27 games at Liverpool, but to be fair Liverpool's squad was rotated every 5 minutes under Rafa.

Archived