"I want to be the next Gary Lineker"

Day

Derby County's controversial captain, Robbie Savage, has revealed that he wants to pursue a career in the media, and wants to be "the next Gary Linekar".

Savage has had a playing career spanning almost 600 games, during which he has earned himself the nickname ‘Mr Marmite’ for his combination of brilliant goals and outrageous off-field antics, including once using Graham Poll’s toilet in his changing room.

Heading into the twilight of his career at the age of 35, Savage is clearly thinking of life after football, and has already acted as a summariser for BBC Radio 5 Live at the World Cup, as well as a job co-presenting 606 with Mark Chapman next season.

The Welshman has been talking with BBC Radio Stoke and has perhaps typically, set his sights quite high for his new career.

"I want to be the next Gary Lineker," he said.

"I think he's a fantastic presenter.

"I'm fortunate to be in a position where I'll be presenting 606 next year, which will be great, but I just want to do as well as I can in any chosen field that I do.

"I'm not the most gifted or talented person in anything I've done, but what I've done is do everything I can with enthusiasm and a big heart.

"People have given me the opportunity and I want to repay them."

Despite previously stating his desire to move into management after his playing days were over, Savage now appears to be slightly more non-committal on the subject.

"I see [Derby manager] Nigel Clough every day and he comes to work with a smile on his face, he absolutely loves it," he said.

"I'm a character and I think the players would love me if I was a manager. It's something that's crossed my mind.

"The horrible thing is that I've got one or two years left as a footballer and that's hard to believe, so I've got to look to the future."

After suffering years of hatred from opposition fans on the pitch, Savage is finding his new-found popularity on the radio waves a strange experience.

"The thing I'm finding hard to accept is that throughout my football career I've been hated, and actually with this radio stuff, people quite like me," he added.

"If it ever comes to the point where people say you should change the way you are, I would finish it, because I am me. I do things because I love doing them,†he added.

The midfielder adopts a similarly philosophical approach when talking about how he believes people will remember his playing career.

"I know how I'll be remembered," he admits.

"If you get 12 people around a table in a pub, six will think I'm great and six will think I'm the biggest obscenity you've ever met in your life. I'm glad of that."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2897/championship/2010/07/14/2025676/i-want-to-be-the-next-gary-lineker-derby-county-captain

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She wasn't a football fan when Linekar played you must understand, she probably doesn't know that he actually used to play, he's just some jug eared presenter that works for the BBC. :D

He might well be a respected footballer but he's still a smug git !

and i did watch football when he played - long before that i was swapping paninni stickers on the school bus :D , Andy Gray was my hero and i was erm a member of the Trevor Francis fan club :redface:

He might well be a respected footballer but he's still a smug git !

and i did watch football when he played - long before that i was swapping paninni stickers on the school bus :D , Andy Gray was my hero and i was erm a member of the Trevor Francis fan club :redface:

Your secret is safe with me agent Vicky

Archived