Henry to NY red bulls!!

derbydan

Thierry Henry has joined Major League Soccer outfit New York Red Bulls from Barcelona on a multi-year contract.

The France striker leaves the Catalan giants on a free transfer following three years at Camp Nou despite still having 12 months left on his contract.

The former Arsenal captain becomes another major footballing name to sign for an American club, following in the footsteps of David Beckham at LA Galaxy.

The move had been touted for several months following Henry's lack of first-team action with Barcelona, but had to be delayed until after the World Cup, where France suffered a humiliating exit at the group stage.

Henry is likely to make his debut for Red Bulls against Tottenham on 22nd July and the 32-year-old is looking forward to his new challenge.

Exciting new chapter

"This marks an exciting new chapter in my career and life," Henry told the club's official website.

"It is an honour to play for the New York Red Bulls. I am fully aware of the team's history and my sole goal during my time here is to help win the club its first championship.

"Knowing Red Bull's significant commitment to soccer locally and internationally, I am confident that my team-mates and I will succeed."

Red Bull New York's general manager and sporting director Erik Soler added: "Thierry is not only a world-class player who will undoubtedly improve our squad, but he has shown most importantly throughout his career that he is a winner.

"He has made it clear to us that he is committed in the short and long term to help in our vision of making our organisation the premium franchise in Major League Soccer."

Dietmar Beiersdorfer, Head of Red Bull Global Soccer, continued: "It is without question that Thierry Henry is one of the most successful and recognisable soccer players over the past 15 years.

"We are thrilled that Thierry has decided to come to New York to help the Red Bulls compete for championships this year and for years to come. His international pedigree is second to none and he is a proven winner."

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As if he needs it.

All he's after is some hero status again before he retires, he aint had much since he left arsenal.

Did feck all at Barca, and the world cup, after that handball anorl.

He could retire if he wanted to. Go and train the kids in the 3rd world or summart.

Henry would of had a decent pension even without this move, I like the guy and a quality player. Left Juventus a decent player and Wenger turned him into a World Class player, 8 years at Arsenal says he's loyal enough and deserves some respect for what he's achieved.

A season or two in America who blames him? in fact it's a good move by him to move to a league where he'l still be able to compete, I'd think less of him if he went to West Ham and played a bit part role on £100k a week. He's also only 32, by Sav's standards he's got another 5 years left in him.

Archived