Will this season even be completed?

TheresOnlyWanChope

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Derby-rivals-chaos-season-covid-4557828

Interesting article but everything makes sense. I think the lower league clubs will suffer first but wondering if there will be a reduced or postponed season if no fans can return this season. I can’t see how the lower leagues will be completed without government intervention. Even championship level, math day  and hospitality/ events revenue will really make clubs suffer I think. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Derby-rivals-chaos-season-covid-4557828

Interesting article but everything makes sense. I think the lower league clubs will suffer first but wondering if there will be a reduced or postponed season if no fans can return this season. I can’t see how the lower leagues will be completed without government intervention. Even championship level, math day  and hospitality/ events revenue will really make clubs suffer I think. 

Part of the 'negotiation' with government and Premier League. Trying to nudge them to make something happen.

I do tend to think though that Conference and League 2 may well be shut down. League 1 maybe not so sure.

The annoying thing here is that there is so SO MUCH money in the world of football that the whole of football could probably survive this pandemic.

The situation isn't the fault of any football club, including the premier league clubs, but the money the premier league are sitting on is the equivalent of a neighbour sitting on 100 bog rolls whilst you are wiping your bum with the Daily Mail. Ok, you could have prioritised your spending and not blown all your cash on poontang but if you didnt see this situation coming how can anyone blame you?

The EFL have failed from day 1. First thing they should have done is scrapped P&S for all clubs, but capped the amount a club could spend on fees and wages for a 3 year period. They should have allowed owners to pump money into their club to cover any losses and instead of chasing after Derby, Sheff Weds and Birmingham, they should have been building a case to present to the Premier League how/why they need help and how they will look to settle in the future.

The money the EFL are demanding would probably be more than paid for by scrapping parachute payments for 1 year. The world of football needs to look at itself before turning to the government for help.

Archived