Barcelona fail to pay player wages for June

Day

Barcelona failed to pay their players at the end of June, club president Sandro Rosell has revealed.

Rosell, who succeeded Joan Laporta at the financially troubled Catalan outfit last week, also said a loan of about £125m had been secured to pay wages.

"We found a club in debt, with liquidity problems. At this point we have to take a loan to pay the wages of the players," he told Sport.

But Rosell said Barca can still afford Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas.

Barca recently sold defender Dmitro Chygrynskiy to Shakhtar Donetsk for about £12.5m to help raise much-needed funds, even though coach Pep Guardiola had been keen to keep him.

They also sold Ivory Coast international Yaya Toure to Manchester City for about£20m.

However, Rosell has moved to reassure worried fans that Barca's problems are under control and that the process of securing a loan had already started under the previous board.

"The banks know that we have a business plan that will allow them to recover the money. The club is not bankrupt because it generates income," he added.

"The members shouldn't be afraid because it is under control. We must resolve this tension.

"It can be done in two ways: to have extra income, like selling Chygrynskiy, and/or taking a loan, which is what we have done.

Read More: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8797183.stm

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think they'll be getting Fabregas. I think he'll be wise and realise that Arsenal will offer first team football every Saturday, which Barca can't guarantee. Arsenal will make sure of it with a big new contract for him.

Barca may have to sell Ibrahimovic I've heard, to have any chance of getting Fab. But if they do that it'll be hard to replace him.

I don't think they'll be getting Fabregas. I think he'll be wise and realise that Arsenal will offer first team football every Saturday, which Barca can't guarantee. Arsenal will make sure of it with a big new contract for him.

Barca may have to sell Ibrahimovic I've heard, to have any chance of getting Fab. But if they do that it'll be hard to replace him.

Theyve bought David Villa,and also have Pedro,to play alongside Messi.Ibrahimovic only has a year left and hasnt really excelled at Barca,so it makes sense to cash in.

Fabregas wants to go to Barca but in truth he needs them more than they need him,and Arsenal will outprice him.

Archived