Consumer advice.

Rev

A few weeks ago I ordered a new car. At the time the manufacturer was offering 3 years free servicing on all cars ordered and delivered before the end of June, which was worth approximately £1200.

It wasn't possible for my car to be delivered in that timescale, and the salesman was non committal that it would be continued into a new quarter, although he hinted that it would, my car was down for a mid August delivery.

I went ahead and ordered, knowing I probably wouldn't get that offer.

A couple of days into July, the dealership OS were advertising a free servicing offer on the car I'd ordered, with the only caveat mentioned being a pre-October delivery, with no mention made of order date, so I assumed I'd be eligible.

I took a screenshot and bookmarked the page.

Yesterday the salesman Emailed to say the car would be ready in approx 2 weeks, so I replied great, I assume I qualify for the offer stated, sent him the link, which was still active and on display.

He replied that the manufacturer had now excluded the model I've bought, and I wouldn't get the deal. 

I replied that they were still advertising the deal on the dealers website, and he said he'd action it to have the site changed, and apologised for the misleading info which should have been taken down.

I replied saying that if you a) advertise a deal you should stand by it, and by rowing back you've kinda ruined the excitement of taking delivery of a new motor, not the service I'd expect from a premium brand.

And b), at some point between the offer being made on July 1st and it's withdrawal, whenever that was, I'd have been eligible and should have been included.

ATM, I'm waiting to hear back after the salesman has referred the matter higher up, how far should I push this?

My wife works for a firm that has a social media manager, they reckon I should push my case on Twitter, but would that work?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

ATM, I'm waiting to hear back after the salesman has referred the matter higher up, how far should I push this?

My wife works for a firm that has a social media manager, they reckon I should push my case on Twitter, but would that work?

Don't bother with Twitter . Pursue it with the dealership. Keep asking to be referred to the next level, they'll cave in eventually.

Ask for the full offer in writing, and exactly how you do not qualify for it, as you have been to trading standards, and that is their initial advice to you.

Threaten to cancel the deal, as you have been miss sold.  Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, there is guidance 'stating Information that is spoken or written is binding where the consumer relies on it.'

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8cGT18S74wIVzLTtCh2eXw-mEAAYASAAEgKIFfD_BwE

You could state that you bought the car because of the offer, otherwise you would have looked else where for the best deal for you.

Archived