Strikes

Day

So British Airways decide to cut back on staff on flights out of Heathrow, do you think thats a valid reason for the cabin crew to go on strike?

if you dont have the numbers to do your job in a SAFE and CORRECT manner then yes take it to the union.

peoples lives mean more than happy share holders dave

sorry m8 but some people need to wake up and smell the real world!

Er I wouldn't recommend that. He lives in Grimsby so all he'd smell is fish.

Imo workers should be able to strike if circumstances are hurting them so much. However BA cabin crew are the highest paid of the airlines and can get a ticket anywhere in the world for 10% of what normal customers have to pay.

Unfortunately nowadays no-one is ever happy.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BA staff are walking out over job cuts, that means they will have to work more. I'l put my left testicle on the line here and say that if they were offered another pound an hour they would be on the plane quicker than you can say quid. Everyone is motivated by money these days and everyone wants more and more money.

In defence of the BA staff not all of them went on strike, many flights still continued, what does that tell you? that not everyone agreed with the strike action.

Fact is there is a recession going on in this country, job cuts are inevitable in all job sectors, it's life and we have to get on with it. I bet theres hundreds if not thousands of people out of work right now that would do anything for a job, those in jobs should count themselves lucky.

BA staff are walking out over job cuts, that means they will have to work more. I'l put my left testicle on the line here and say that if they were offered another pound an hour they would be on the plane quicker than you can say quid. Everyone is motivated by money these days and everyone wants more and more money.

In defence of the BA staff not all of them went on strike, many flights still continued, what does that tell you? that not everyone agreed with the strike action.

Fact is there is a recession going on in this country, job cuts are inevitable in all job sectors, it's life and we have to get on with it. I bet theres hundreds if not thousands of people out of work right now that would do anything for a job, those in jobs should count themselves lucky.

True.

I've spent ages looking for a job to no success. Tough luck. I'm not the only one without one despite looking.

As I said people are never happy. Thank goodness for the minimum wage it's good but so many people keep complaining it's not enough so it has to be raised.

The worst are student friends of mine who talk about their tax paying for me to get through Uni. :rolleyes:

I'am thinking, its a recession Trig. Companies are not taking as much money so they have to make job cuts to bring the profit margins back into line in some cases just to break even!. They are not making job cuts for the sake of it, these cuts are being made because they cannot afford to continue trading as they are, yet you think those that are left should be given a pay rise?

Like I say they should be thankful they still have a job, alot of companies have gone bust over the last year.

True.

I've spent ages looking for a job to no success. Tough luck. I'm not the only one without one despite looking.

As I said people are never happy. Thank goodness for the minimum wage it's good but so many people keep complaining it's not enough so it has to be raised.

The worst are student friends of mine who talk about their tax paying for me to get through Uni. :rolleyes:

I bet you'd give your right arm to get a job with British Airways right now, I bet you would do the same job for a pound less an hour aswell.

if you are doing the work of two people say, are you not entitled to a bit extra? or does it all have to go in the fat cats pockets?

think before replying!

It doesn't necessarily go into fat cats pockets.

The thing is, businesses exist to make profits. Otherwise there would be no point in the businesses existing. The cost of fuel has risen dramatically which has crippled some airlines and nearly crippled many more. The banks still can't supply much credit to these airlines too.

Job cuts are made to save money that's being overspent in other departments. They're not made just for the fun of it. They won't be lining BA executive pockets because the money being saved from job cuts will be needed to cover the cost of fuel etc.

Unfortunately the way it is means people will always lose out. It's an inept government that has allowed this, along with stupid decisions by bankers who know nothing about globalisation only bonuses.

its not all about $$$

its about terms and conditions that have been fought for over the years , just because times are hard td we have to abandon all the rights that weve ever fought for then?

its ok boss i know times are hard , so i will climb up on that roof without all the expensive safety gear that we should have to do the job with and get it done straightaway for you cause i dont want to lose my job

now do you get what im trying to say?

its not all about $$$

its about terms and conditions that have been fought for over the years , just because times are hard td we have to abandon all the rights that weve ever fought for then?

its ok boss i know times are hard , so i will climb up on that roof without all the expensive safety gear that we should have to do the job with and get it done straightaway for you cause i dont want to lose my job

now do you get what im trying to say?

I agree totally if thats what they are fighting for Trig, but climbing up a roof without the correct safety gear isn't the same as having to serve drinks and food to more people than usual on a plane. One puts your life in danger, the other just means you have to work that little bit harder.

This is why I bring the soldiers out in Afghanistan into it, I've been watching alot of documentaries and reading books on the war out there and its nothing short of disgraceful. They are being fed hot meals (sausages and beans, thats all) in 50c heat whilst the Americans are given fruit and cold healthy meals. They are flown over on Tristar planes that are over 30 years old and should of been grounded years ago.

They are going out into battlezones being shot at every day, sleeping in ditches and what for? a grand a month.

So when I hear BA cabin staff moaning because they have to do abit more work on a sodding plane it isnt right, they need to shut up and be thankful they have a safe job and can return to there families each night, whilst being amoung the top pain cabin crew around the world.

The problem with this debate is there are people who,no matter what,will think that strikers are greedy barstards,and should be satisfied that they have a job.(A lot of these people are normally students and the unemployed)Then there are the people who value their job and the work that they do.I love my job,and im good at it.What I am going to be asked to do though is accept a lump sum of £1000 to have my job and working times and conditions altered beyond belief.Although i will be getting a pay rise also,extra monies i used to receive for starting early and delivering leaflets will stop,so in reality im taking a pay cut.

Bakeri might not care less about getting mail on saturday at 2pm,but I DO.I like to spend saturdays with my son.Pub first then off to the match.It is now likely he will be dropped off at pride park to meet me,whilst I have had to come straight to the match,still in my uniform and with post bag.

Its all well and good spouting "if you dont like it leave".How about "get off your arses and get a job yourselves" see how you like it.

We've been getting our post past 1pm for the last 3 years, this new house the postman is getting here around 2.30pm already, can't say about Saturday as nothing came on Saturday. I'm guessing the changes have already been made up here then.

Its all well and good spouting "if you dont like it leave".How about "get off your arses and get a job yourselves" see how you like it.

nice 1 dangerous

these people that slag workers off for having what certain people see as a poxy job ie trolley dolley, make me sick to the gut

without trolley dollies there would be no air travel for joe public

they are employed not just to serve meals and drinks , they like others have a care of duty to look after and make sure the people get to where they are going to safely

its about time people treated WORKERS with the respect they deserve

there are lots and lots of free loading benefit claimants and immigrants that need to be abused before HONEST HARD WORKING PEOPLE!!

Who's slagging them off? We or I'll speak for myself I don't think they have a valid reason to go on strike. I don't agree either with the snide comments at the jobless, do you know how many jobs Bakeri and Joe have applied for? Do you know how many interviews they have been to? Do you not think they are desperate for jobs right now to pay the bills?

I can't be arsed with this "debate" if its going to end up in childish snipes at other members. Just ask yourself why they are jobless, then think about there families and you might not be so quick to take the piss.

In my experiance, unions are *****.

When i was laid off from my first firm after getting qualified, the union didn't want to know. I wasn't last in, but first out.

I thought I was owed more money in leau of notice, rang the Union and asked, "No that seems right" was the answer.

Another lad who was laid off had a girlfriend who worked in an office and rang my employer telling them thier mistake, Hey presto! more money came!

Unions exist because the members pay for it out there wages, I was paying for the "right" to be in my Union, but because I worked for a small 20 man firm, they weren't bothered.

Why? Publicity, that's why. Large firms get more linage in the press.

So, The view of "If you don't like it" is correct, but if you pay your money to a Union they should do something for you.

Not in my case though, as they did FECK ALL.

Who's slagging them off? We or I'll speak for myself I don't think they have a valid reason to go on strike. I don't agree either with the snide comments at the jobless, do you know how many jobs Bakeri and Joe have applied for? Do you know how many interviews they have been to? Do you not think they are desperate for jobs right now to pay the bills?

I can't be arsed with this "debate" if its going to end up in childish snipes at other members. Just ask yourself why they are jobless, then think about there families and you might not be so quick to take the piss.

its about time people treated WORKERS with the respect they deserve

there are lots and lots of free loading benefit claimants and immigrants that need to be abused before HONEST HARD WORKING PEOPLE!!

this was meant at those who have no intention of EVER working , not for the unfortunate people who have lost thier jobs

im sorry it came across the way it did!

Archived