Tommy Smith - Portsmouth

Boycie

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prove it or your a wum! mwhahahaha

I saw it this morning on BBC Football under the gossip column. He's not getting games at Pompy and we'd only have to offer a percentage of his wages for the Administrator to accept. Anyhow forget all that it's in The Mirror it's all rollox.

Derby County have made an offer to troubled Portsmouth to bring back ex-Rams striker Tommy Smith on loan to Pride Park for the rest of the season.

But Derby may not be helped by the fact that Smith was recalled by the FA Cup semi-finalists on Saturday and scored in their 3-2 win against Hull City.

"We've made an inquiry to Portsmouth," Rams boss Nigel Clough told BBC Derby.

"But it's a bit difficult with the situation down there at the moment. It's one we'll keep pursuing."

Smith, now approaching 100 career goals after spells with Watford, Sunderland and Derby, hit 21 goals in two seasons for the Rams after being signed from Sunderland by George Burley in June 2004.

He had only scored twice all season prior to Saturday, both goals having come for Watford before his late August transfer deadline departure to Fratton Park on a four-year deal.

But having scored his first Pompey goal, Smith could now be in line for a fourth appearance in an FA Cup semi-final match.

Smith has been a beaten semi-finalist on three occasions (for Watford in 2003 and 2007 and for Sunderland in 2004), but the chance to appear against Tottenham Hotspur at Wembley on 11 April may yet be a factor in him opting to stay on the South Coast with cash-strapped Pompey.

"As soon as we make the inquiry, he goes and plays and scores," added Clough. "The major snag is the FA Cup, which I'm sure he'll want to be involved in.

"We made an inquiry last week and we've been trying to get in touch with the agent, the administrators and the manager to see if Tommy wants to come or not.

"If not Tommy, we'll try for one or two others as well. But there's not many available strikers around at the minute."

Derby have been without Kris Commons and Stephen Davis for the past month, but the former Tranmere player made a late appearance in Saturday's goalless draw at Sheffield Wednesday and Clough is hopeful that Commons too may return soon.

"Kris Commons is getting near to a return," Clough said. "But he's a week or two away and Steve Davies showed no reaction on Saturday when he came on for us late on."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/derby_county/8580612.stm

i dont think clough has any faith in porter.

i dont think its him he doesnt have any faith in its more davies and commons

smith will be a good signing, but i always thought he never scored enough goals for us, great player and created alot of good chances but didnt convert enough for me

would happily welcome him back though

Archived