Robin Friday ( as we are playing Reading)

StockholmRam

I read a book about this guy... played pro football for Reading and Cardiff for a few years in the 70s.

He was a loose cannon to say the least. Made Stan Bowles and George Best exploits look 2nd class. Was in borstal as a kid. Fell off a fence and had a spike go through his bum. Went to jail for impersonating a police officer and confiscating peoples drugs. Took a policemans hat off during a game and ran down the wing with the ball, still wearing the hat. Took a dump in Mark Lawrensons kit bag after being sent off. Got arrested on signing for Cardiff for train jumping on his way to Wales from London and had to be bailled out by Cardiffs manager... Retired aged 25 from playing. The book I read was called " The greatest player you NEVER saw"

They reckoned he was incredible and if he wasnt so nuts and got fit he could have played for England. Former ref Clive Thomas described one goal he witnessed as better than anything by Pele or Cruyff.

Died very young, only 38. Lived his life as he wanted. Cardiff City fans The Super Furry Animals wrote a song about him titled " the man dont give a duck"...

I never saw him play, would have loved to have seen him. I wonder if any of our older forum members had the pleasure?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's still an idol among our supporters.

There was a goal he scored at Elm Park against Tranmere in 1976 that is the stuff of legend - he had his back to goal about 25-30 yards out, ball is launched across to him, he leaps in the air and cushions the ball before firing it over his own shoulder with such power that it nearly broke the net. 

No footage of it exists unfortunately, and a lot of our older fans claim "they were there". 

Archived